PDA

View Full Version : Handgun registration?

exon111
04-10-2008, 8:00 PM
If my grandpa gives me an old (early eighties) Sig of his, do I have to register it? Could I run into problems if I don't?

exon111
04-10-2008, 8:05 PM
Crap, I just realized I put this in the wrong forum, can a moderator please delete this? Thanks

mymonkeyman
04-10-2008, 8:07 PM
Yes. If you are both CA residents, you need to send in the form to the DOJ with $19. If he is not a CA resident, he needs to send it to an CA FFL (or have an FFL send it to a CA FFL) who then runs it as an exempt transaction.

If you don't you could be arrested, incarcerated and have the gun taken away and destroyed.

darkest2000
09-22-2008, 2:50 PM
If you don't you could be arrested, incarcerated and have the gun taken away and destroyed.
Huh:rolleyes:

rayra
11-05-2008, 2:36 PM
Huh:rolleyes:
wth are you rolling your eyes at. His post was exactly correct and spoke directly to the letter of the law, as it stands today. It is a crime in CA to not register the intrafamilial transfer of a handgun. Has been since the mid-90s.

If the OP were to do something that brought negative police attention to him and to said pistol, leading to its being confiscated, it would be determined to not be his, and that element could an dwould be used as an additional charge. Just such a thing happened to me 5yrs ago in L.A. Superior court, over a pistol gifted to me by my father. They were quite eager to add that element to their false prosecution for concealed carry, until I embarassed their asses in court by pointing out that 'the pistol [that] wasn't his' happened to be last registered to a man with the same last name, that it was a gift to me long before the law change took effect, and that I have right here your honor an affadavit from teh man attesting to these circumstances, as well as the original purchase receipt for said pistol.

In fact I found out later in the proceedings via a copy of the fabricated police report that they'd been able to run a trace on my pistol's serial number that very night of the confiscation, at the end of their shift. Of a pistol gifted to me nearly 20yrs previously, after its only touching the registration system in CA once in its life, at the time of its initial retail purchase, immediately prior to its being given to me as a gift.

So your silly little scoffing rolleyes is garbage and if you had any dignity at all you'd retract it and apologize for your worthless contribution to the topic, and for your attempt to casually and ignorantly dismiss a very real legal danger / concern, thereby contributing to the continued ignorance of your fellow casual gun hobbyiests.

/and yeah, I meant 'your fellow casual gun hobbyiests' as a very specific criticism

To the OP, your idea is about 13yrs too late. The anti-gun democrats in Sacramento closed that traceability 'loophole' long ago.

pottymouth310
11-05-2008, 9:42 PM
Where can I get more info or the forms to register a handgun that was passed down.

Librarian
11-06-2008, 1:51 PM
Where can I get more info or the forms to register a handgun that was passed down.

DOJ (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/) has them online - you probably want Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report. $19 for all the handguns transferred at one time.

See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124237