PDA

View Full Version : AB 2235 ? "Smart" gun only for sale ?

bg
04-10-2008, 6:15 PM
I got this email flash from the same people who are with
Gun News Daily. First I've heard of this bill, but as usual
I'm probably late to the party when it comes to posting this.

http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?year=2008&aex=ab2235#ab2235

MrTuffPaws
04-10-2008, 6:26 PM
I don't get it. I read it twice, and I still don't know what it is doing.

scewper
04-10-2008, 6:34 PM
On Tuesday, April 15, the Assembly Public Safety Committee will consider Assembly Bill 2235, a bill to forbid the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or "smart") handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed.

Introduced by Assemblyman Mark DeSaulnier (D-11), AB2235 would require the Attorney General to report to the Governor and Legislature on the availability of owner-authorized handguns; once the Attorney General finds that these guns are available, only "owner-authorized" handguns could be approved for sale in California.

The law enforcement community has even expressed concerns about the use of this technology in firearms. How often has your computer malfunctioned while simply sitting stationary on your desktop? With that in mind, are you willing to put your personal safety, and that of your loved ones, in the hands of a sensitive computer system exposed to recoil, heat, solvents, dirt and grime? For an informative article about smart guns and the New Jersey law this bill is based on, please click here.

Please contact the members of the Public Safety Committee today and respectfully urge them to oppose this ill-advised proposal. Contact information for the Committee can be found below.

State Assembly Member Jose Solorio (D-69), Chair
(916) 319-2069
Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Greg Aghazarian, (R-26), Vice Chair
(916) 319-2026
Assemblymember.aghazarian@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Joel Anderson (R-77)
(916) 319-2077
Assemblymember.Anderson@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Hector De La Torre (D-50)
(916) 319-2050
Assemblymember.DeLaTorre@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Fiona Ma (D-12)
(916) 319-2012
Assemblymember.Ma@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Anthony J. Portantino (D-44)
(916) 319-2044
Assemblymember.Portantino@assembly.ca.gov

From NRA-ILA

Shotgun Man
04-10-2008, 6:41 PM
So every member of the household has to have his or her biometric gun? Wifey can't use the husband's, while he's dead-drunk passed out, and she hears someone breaking in?

M. Sage
04-10-2008, 6:42 PM
I don't get it. I read it twice, and I still don't know what it is doing.

Once this BS hits the market: http://www.livescience.com/technology/070420_handgun_tech.html

They won't allow any more handguns without it (on the list).

That tech sounds like total crap. How much practice do you have to put in to get a perfectly consistent grip? What happens if my wife needs to use my handgun? What if I can only use one hand or the other at the time I need my handgun? What happens to your grip under stress?

I posed those questions to the person who wrote that article, who passed them along to the people "working on this solution." Their answer: "don't worry about it, we've got LE agencies helping us test it, and it even works when they wear gloves!" :rolleyes: Obviously, since LE agencies (?? Sheriff and Chief associations probably) are "helping out" with it, we shouldn't be worried.. yeah, right.

RRangel
04-10-2008, 6:42 PM
How does this person show up to the Assembly with a straight face? Perata is trying to re-call Denham, while the ones who deserve it are doing everything they can to subjugate the population while sitting pretty. This bill should mean Assemblyman DeSaulnier gets booted from office, and never be allowed to serve again.

This needs your attention. Some didn't think micro-stamping would pass.

Pointcrossed
04-10-2008, 6:59 PM
Somebody in Sac is a sci-fi fan :rolleyes:...

I will most likely be moving to a normal state if this scheisse gets any worse...

LAK Supply
04-10-2008, 7:07 PM
Goodbye CA.... it was nice (sort of) knowing you. :seeya:

:mad:

God, I love living in America again.

bg
04-10-2008, 7:08 PM
Come after Nov, there won't BE any normal states if the left
get their way. McCain's not mush diff. We're just scr*ed.

LAK Supply
04-10-2008, 7:10 PM
Come after Nov, there won't BE any normal states if the left
get their way. McCain's not mush diff. We're just scr*ed.

Good luck taking this one. Besides the fact that the state constitution has strong RKBA language.... the attitude is just a little different up here. "Cold dead hands" has a whole different meaning..... :)

Sec. 24. The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves
and the state shall not be denied.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-10-2008, 7:14 PM
So we know of at least one person who saw Judge Dredd.

The Soup Nazi
04-10-2008, 7:16 PM
So we know of at least one person who saw Judge Dredd.

DAMNIT you beat me to it!

http://www.dvdreview.com/assets/images/Judge_Dredd_1.JPG

AKman
04-10-2008, 7:17 PM
Once this BS hits the market: http://www.livescience.com/technology/070420_handgun_tech.html

They won't allow any more handguns without it (on the list).

That tech sounds like total crap. How much practice do you have to put in to get a perfectly consistent grip? What happens if my wife needs to use my handgun? What if I can only use one hand or the other at the time I need my handgun? What happens to your grip under stress?

I posed those questions to the person who wrote that article, who passed them along to the people "working on this solution." Their answer: "don't worry about it, we've got LE agencies helping us test it, and it even works when they wear gloves!" :rolleyes: Obviously, since LE agencies (?? Sheriff and Chief associations probably) are "helping out" with it, we shouldn't be worried.. yeah, right.

Sure it will work. Just like the biometric scanner on my computer doesn't recognize me after I take a shower. If the SHTF the "smart gun" probably won't recognize you and you will have to use it as a club.

tyrist
04-10-2008, 8:00 PM
They do not need to worry about developing this technology. Nobody will purchase it.

Librarian
04-10-2008, 8:07 PM
How does this person show up to the Assembly with a straight face? Perata is trying to re-call Denham, while the ones who deserve it are doing everything they can to subjugate the population while sitting pretty. This bill should mean Assemblyman DeSaulnier gets booted from office, and never be allowed to serve again.

This needs your attention. Some didn't think micro-stamping would pass.
I don't quite get it yet, but there's Something Going On with deSaulnier (my rep, ack, ptui!) and the Brady folks in Contra Costa :svengo:. Mutual admiration society, financial support, all on the same drugs, I dunno.

Bad bill; equivalent to requiring a license for your unicorn, that is, it wants to regulate/require something that does not exist.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-10-2008, 8:13 PM
Well, if they require something that does not exist then they are not banning guns, it is not their fault that we chose not to live in a cheesy Sci-Fi movie.

My question is, how would you even connect the electronic biometric device to the purely mechanical firearm without hurting the ergonomics or function? I think that is the real goal, if it is meant to scan with a natural grip where would that put the scanner? Doesn't that basically mean that 10 rounds is too much and they've set their new goal?

CSACANNONEER
04-10-2008, 8:32 PM
Hold on mr. rapist,burglar, I've have to change the batteries in my HD gun.

bg
04-10-2008, 8:33 PM
Next they'll demand you get a chip placed in your shooting
hands or hands for those proficient in that, that'll match
the weapon.

Cripes I better pipe down. I don't want to give those
folks up in Sac any ideas.

jamesob
04-10-2008, 8:42 PM
thats what i would want to protect my familys life and my own. a piece of crap that would malfunction when i need it the most.

SchooBaka
04-10-2008, 8:44 PM
Next they'll demand you get a chip placed in your shooting
hands or hands for those proficient in that, that'll match
the weapon.

Cripes I better pipe down. I don't want to give those
folks up in Sac any ideas.

Seems like the only way a biometric id could work with gloves on to me. :TFH::cool:

SchooBaka
04-10-2008, 8:46 PM
I don't quite get it yet, but there's Something Going On with deSaulnier (my rep, ack, ptui!) and the Brady folks in Contra Costa :svengo:. Mutual admiration society, financial support, all on the same drugs, I dunno.

Bad bill; equivalent to requiring a license for your unicorn, that is, it wants to regulate/require something that does not exist.

Like microstamping?

Librarian
04-10-2008, 8:52 PM
Well, if they require something that does not exist then they are not banning guns, it is not their fault that we chose not to live in a cheesy Sci-Fi movie.

My question is, how would you even connect the electronic biometric device to the purely mechanical firearm without hurting the ergonomics or function? I think that is the real goal, if it is meant to scan with a natural grip where would that put the scanner? Doesn't that basically mean that 10 rounds is too much and they've set their new goal?
Doesn't much matter to me.

I want the bill to require SFPD, LAPD, and SJPD to adopt the technology and use it for five years; then they can report on whether it's practical.

Should be able to make the report around 2150 AD...

CSACANNONEER
04-10-2008, 8:58 PM

I want the bill to require SFPD, LAPD, and SJPD to adopt the technology and use it for five years; then they can report on whether it's practical.

I've always said the same thing about microstamping.

Adonlude
04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
The electronics will have to interface the mechanics somewhere. Some pin or some soliniod somewhere. Good luck keeping me from dissasembling and disabling.

Pred@tor
04-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Someone has watched "shoot em up" too much.

Pvt. Cowboy
04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't they heat handguns in a furnace to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit to prove they're not 'junk guns' before they make the CA approved handguns list?

Would biometric electronics survive this test? Sounds like a neat way to ban all handguns.

SigShooter
04-11-2008, 12:17 PM
The goal is 99.99 percent accuracy before the gun would be manufactured and sold commercially, Sebastian said.

No where near accurate enough for me.

Completely ridiculous, not only does it deny family members the ability to defend themselves when the owner is unable to, but it also prevents gun owners to take non-shooters out to introduce them to the sport.

steadyrock
04-11-2008, 1:24 PM
From my understanding, this bill only requires the AG's office to make periodic reports to the legislature and the Governor on whether or not such a technology exists in guns. The actual requirement for usage then becomes enforceable 18 months after the tech. is available.

So, all we have to do is hope (beg) that no gun manufacturer is dumb enough to make these guns, and we will be safe. I can't foresee any incentive for a gun manufacturer to do so in the first place, so while I hope this POS bill doesn't make it to the governor's desk I also fear this bill a lot less than others currently before the legislature (like the ammo ban).

vandal
04-11-2008, 1:32 PM
It doesn't even work right in the movies. William Hurt in Lost in Space the movie -- "Unlock! UNLOCK!" Gun: Please speak in a normal voice. IIRC

Somebody in Sac is a sci-fi fan :rolleyes:...

chris
04-11-2008, 1:50 PM

LE will be exempt from this bill like all gun contol bills. the police chief will embrace this as an effective tool in gun violence. this is a bad bill written by an idiot none the less.

Scarecrow Repair
04-11-2008, 2:40 PM
LE will be exempt from this bill like all gun contol bills.

I believe there are plans to make a point of this under the equal protection clause ... post Heller.

tombinghamthegreat
04-11-2008, 3:44 PM
If this law passes at least the black market will be there when the legal market is no longer practical to buy guns.

mymonkeyman
04-11-2008, 3:49 PM
“We’ve known since 2003 that technology like this can save lives. Studies show that we could potentially save 37% of the children who find their parents’ guns; 37% of the depressed teenagers who wants to take their own lives; or 37% of fatalities that result from thieves who steal guns during a robbery,” said DeSaulnier.

Anyone notice something suspicious with this guy's statistics?

Librarian
04-11-2008, 3:57 PM
Anyone notice something suspicious with this guy's statistics?

Yes. He forgot to take his Beano (http://www.beanogas.com/) before drinking the Brady Kool-Aid.

knuckled
04-11-2008, 4:22 PM
From my understanding, this bill only requires the AG's office to make periodic reports to the legislature and the Governor on whether or not such a technology exists in guns. The actual requirement for usage then becomes enforceable 18 months after the tech. is available.

So, all we have to do is hope (beg) that no gun manufacturer is dumb enough to make these guns, and we will be safe. I can't foresee any incentive for a gun manufacturer to do so in the first place, so while I hope this POS bill doesn't make it to the governor's desk I also fear this bill a lot less than others currently before the legislature (like the ammo ban).

It would give that manufacturer a monopoly on the gun market in PRK. Not that there would be many gun enthusiasts left here...

Librarian
04-11-2008, 4:26 PM
Did you know the FBI thinks there were about 75,000 sworn officers in 460 agencies in California in 2006?

Don't you think all their families deserve the "safety" of "owner-authorized handguns"? Doesn't the public deserve the "safety" of keeping criminals from using the handguns they "so often" take from our officers?

It'd be a real shame if this bill couldn't reduce the "danger" of handguns to our officers, when "effective" "protection" is so "easily" provided. I'm sure all 460 agencies will be clamoring to be included in this "protection".

I know the Assembly Public Safety Committee should be sympathetic to the safety of our police officers - why, "safety" is in their name!

:43:

CSACANNONEER
04-11-2008, 6:08 PM
LE will be exempt from this bill like all gun contol bills.

Why? LEOs are involved in many shooting and this great technology along with microstamping would aid in the investigation of every LEO involved shooting as well as make it impossible for a LEO's gun to be used against him. If this is good technology for the public it must be great technology for LEOs, Right?

ontmark
04-12-2008, 8:21 AM
BTT
This one needs sticky