PDA

View Full Version : cal. sks and 22 gun law question.

Rac97crawford
04-10-2008, 6:48 AM
Hello all. I'm new to the sight so I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but here goes.
I have a russian sks. I wanted to change the stock so I learned about all the 922r stuff. So I'm up now on all that. So now if I understand the laws right on what is "considered" and "assault weapon" As long as I have an american made fixed magazine then I can basically add whatever I want to the gun.

I.E., put on the pistol grip that came with the tapco stock, put a folding stock on, put a forward grip on it, (if I can figure out how to do that), and/or add a muzzle break. And it would still be legal because it isn't an "assault rifle".
Is that correct?

Along the same lines I know that a 22 rim fire is not an assault rifle. So can I take my 10/22 and add all the stuff I mention in the i.e. above and still have it be legal?

Thanks for the help.

ohsmily
04-10-2008, 7:02 AM
Hello all. I'm new to the sight so I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but here goes.
I have a russian sks. I wanted to change the stock so I learned about all the 922r stuff. So I'm up now on all that. So now if I understand the laws right on what is "considered" and "assault weapon" As long as I have an american made fixed magazine then I can basically add whatever I want to the gun.

I.E., put on the pistol grip that came with the tapco stock, put a folding stock on, put a forward grip on it, (if I can figure out how to do that), and/or add a muzzle break. And it would still be legal because it isn't an "assault rifle".
Is that correct?

Along the same lines I know that a 22 rim fire is not an assault rifle. So can I take my 10/22 and add all the stuff I mention in the i.e. above and still have it be legal?

Thanks for the help.

You can't do any of those things to your Russian SKS because it will look ridiculous and you will be ruining the historic appeal of the best-made SKS. Legally you can though. Where are you going to get a US made magazine?

Yes, you can add whatever you want to your 10/22 as long as it remains over 26" overall length with at least a 16" barrel and it isn't an NFA item (suppressor, etc).

P.S. This is a "site" and it is a "muzzle BRAKE."

savageevo
04-10-2008, 7:39 AM
I believe Tapco makes fixed 10rd magazines and that would be considered as 1 compliance part. An to the OP, as long as you have a fixed 10rder in there you can do what ever you want as long you have the right parts count, must be oal of 30", and of course no FA. Bubba your hearts desire. Just keep the original parts if you ever want to preserve the originality of your rifle.

Rac97crawford
04-10-2008, 7:53 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. And I understand how you feel about the Russians. I am like minded. I'm not playing on doing anything to it that will cause any permanent damage. I'm making it a point to make everything I do completely reversible. When I what to get one to drill, tap, thread, or cut I'll get a yugo or a Chinese.

Now something else just popped into my head and I wanted to make sure on this as well. Are all the "add ons" I was just taking about for the sks fine for an AR15 and any rifle not on the ban list as long as it has a fixed 10 round mag?

I was just looking back at some sights I was checking out earlier. I could have sworn I saw a fixed 10 rounder. There has to be one. I was just talking about this on another forum, trying to meet all the 922r crap. I'll find it a post the link.

Rac97crawford
04-10-2008, 3:31 PM
I just found the link to get a tapco 10 round fixed.

http://www.highreadytactical.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=1026902&ret_id=943830