View Full Version : Single Action Revolvers - Exempt from Out of State Purchase Prohibition?

04-09-2008, 5:03 PM
Hi all:
Is there an exemption from the out-of- state prohibition on handgun purchases for single action revolvers? How broad is the exemption?
I assume the out-of state seller would have to mail the gun to an instate FFL?

04-09-2008, 5:07 PM

04-09-2008, 5:15 PM
Yep, you found your answer. Exempt from the roster but not from FFL transfers.

04-09-2008, 5:56 PM
The answer includes a "yes" to what may appear to be conventional DA revolvers (that otherwise meet the OAL requirements, etc) such as the Smith 14 and Colt Officers Models that were produced or are single action only.

04-10-2008, 8:09 AM
I was checking on the (long stream of obscene adjectives deleted) list and even saw revolvers listed. What in the heck is up with that?

04-10-2008, 8:45 AM
Some double action revolvers or revolvers that don't meet the physical dimension test have to be drop tested. This was an attempt to stem the flow of inexpensive small firearms. Much to the antis chagrin those handguns passed with flying colors.

04-10-2008, 9:09 AM
12133PC exemption for single action revolvers mandates that they hold at least 5 rounds, have a min 3" barrel length, and have a minimum 7.5" overall length (measured parallel to the bore).

Whether or not the revolver was designed to be SA or DA, or was modified from another state, is immaterial.

The only concern is whether it was in single-action action status from the moment of DROS until the moment after taking delivery after 10 day wait.

[And for (legal) safety's sake, guns imported into CA for sale as exempt single actions should ensure that both the single-action status and dimensional compliance exists before the gun enters the state, due to issues of wording in 12125PC.]

04-10-2008, 9:22 AM
Hmm...so the 2 1/2" Taurus Tracker .44 I've been eyeing is good to go?

04-10-2008, 9:46 AM
Hmm...so the 2 1/2" Taurus Tracker .44 I've been eyeing is good to go?

If it were single action only and met the minimum length requirements - which a 2 1/2" barrel does not - then yes.

Given the creativity required to comply with the AW fixed mag & pistol grip issues associated with OLLs, determining compliance on this matter seems pretty straight forward. A revolver either is or is not SA only, it either does or does not hold greater than the required shots and either is or is not of sufficient OAL & barrel length.

Removing the DA sear on a Smith is easy (Colt is kind of a pain, but not too much) and being desireable, I'd expect they are the most likely candidates. If there were an "absolutely gotta have" gun on line all it would take is an agreeable seller and probably a few extra $$$ for the work.