PDA

View Full Version : Fla. lawmakers OK take-your-guns-to-work law

Saigon1965
04-09-2008, 1:30 PM
Schools are still of limit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24033282

TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Most Florida residents would be allowed to take guns to work under a measure passed by Florida lawmakers on Wednesday.

The bill, allowing workers to keep guns in their cars for self-protection, was approved by the Florida Senate by a vote of 26-13. It now goes to Republican Gov. Charlie Crist to sign into law.

Backed by the National Rifle Association and some labor unions, the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.

The measure applies to employees, customers and those invited to the business establishment as long as they have a permit to carry the weapon.

Backers say the measure upholds the vision of the authors of the U.S. Constitution, who made the right to bear arms part of the Bill of Rights.

"The second thing they wrote about in that constitution was the right to bear arms," said Sen. Durell Peaden, a Republican from Crestview, Florida. "It was what was dear in their hearts."

Nuclear plants exempted
The measure exempts a number of workplaces including nuclear power plants, prisons, schools and companies whose business involves homeland security.

Critics say the measure usurps business owners' rights to determine what happens on their property and puts workers and managers at risk from disgruntled employees.

Dozens of workplace shootings occur every year in the United States, and studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited.

"This is an attempt to trample upon the property rights of property owners and attempt to make it more difficult to protect the workers in a workplace and those who visit our retail establishments," said Sen. Ted Deutch, a Boca Raton Democrat.

Concerns, disappointment
Oklahoma, Alaska, Kentucky, and Mississippi have similar laws, although in Oklahoma, an appellate court barred the state from enforcing the legislation on grounds that it was unconstitutional.

Florida business groups are urging the governor to veto the measure, saying owners should be allowed to determine what happens on their property.

"We are disappointed that politics clearly won over good policy," Mark Wilson, president and chief executive of the Florida Chamber of Commerce, said in a statement.

Hopi
04-09-2008, 1:34 PM
Hmmmm, so does the Property owner have the right to ask you to leave his property and then threaten you with trespassing if you refuse?

tgun
04-09-2008, 1:52 PM
From what I read, an employer is no longer allowed to even ASK if you have a gun in your car (in Florida).

Patriot
04-09-2008, 1:53 PM
From what I read, an employer is no longer allowed to even ASK if you have a gun in your car (in Florida).

Don't ask, don't tell. :D

CCWFacts
04-09-2008, 1:57 PM
I wish the NRA would not be involved in things like this... This puts them up private property rights.

vf111
04-09-2008, 2:03 PM
studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited.

This is the part I found interesting. I've never heard of a cop or a gun store employee shooting up his/ her workplace (may have happened but I don't recall any off the top of my head). On the other hand, seems like all the workplace shootings you do hear about are in gun free zones (post office or a university for instance). Interested what everybody else's thoughts are.

SigShooter
04-09-2008, 2:10 PM
Schools are still of limit.

Critics say the measure usurps business owners' rights to determine what happens on their property and puts workers and managers at risk from disgruntled employees.

Dozens of workplace shootings occur every year in the United States, and studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited.

"This is an attempt to trample upon the property rights of property owners and attempt to make it more difficult to protect the workers in a workplace and those who visit our retail establishments," said Sen. Ted Deutch, a Boca Raton Democrat.

:banghead:

If they are really so concerned with workplace shootings then the critics should be taking it a step further and writing laws allowing workers to carry their handguns IN the workplace. Do they really think a person that only has to walk to their car is more likely to go "postal" than someone who has to drive home?

tgun
04-09-2008, 2:11 PM
I wish the NRA would not be involved in things like this... This puts them up private property rights.

Some take the viewpoint that the inside of my car is MY property, no matter where it's parked.

tiki
04-09-2008, 2:26 PM
Are they kidding? So, thier logic is that if a person isn't allowed to keep a firearm in thier vehicle then they won't commit a workplace shooting? AYFKM?
A nutjob wont commit multiiple felonies because they may get fired for having a firearm in their car?
What a bunch of idiots. Maybe they should make condom sales to minors illegal, then they can cut down on all that teen sex.

yellowfin
04-09-2008, 3:43 PM
What this should say to everyone here is that most other states are moving in the direction of MORE FIREARMS RIGHTS. We should use that to isolate the antis in the government here because clearly they are going in the wrong direction and are in the vast minority. Pro gun legislators need to be emboldened and those who are too afraid to be pro need to see that it's the way to be.

Glock22Fan
04-09-2008, 4:03 PM
This is the part I found interesting. I've never heard of a cop or a gun store employee shooting up his/ her workplace (may have happened but I don't recall any off the top of my head). On the other hand, seems like all the workplace shootings you do hear about are in gun free zones (post office or a university for instance). Interested what everybody else's thoughts are.

And, of course, if you are a disgruntled employee and you want to shoot a few colleagues, the lack of this law would surely stop you taking your gun to work. </sarcasm>

And CCWFacts and anyone else who worries about private owners' rights: How you going to take your guns to distant ranges, hunting places etc. if private land owners, such as gas stations, can stop you going on their property with firearms in your car? Park in the street and use a container to ferry gas to your vehicle?

Hopi
04-09-2008, 4:09 PM
What this should say to everyone here is that most other states are moving in the direction of MORE CIVIL RIGHTS.

A small tweak, tastes better for the antis when you inform them that they are trampling civil rights.....
:D

razorx
04-09-2008, 4:14 PM
...Dozens of workplace shootings occur every year in the United States, and studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited...

Interesting while describing the opposing positions this tidbit is inserted as a "fact" with no facts to back it up...

mymonkeyman
04-09-2008, 4:35 PM
Interesting while describing the opposing positions this tidbit is inserted as a "fact" with no facts to back it up...

Always be suspicious of the phrase "studies have shown." If there were reputable studies which did show, they wouldn't use the passive voice, they would say "A 2003 study by John Hopkins University Professor Blahblah showed meecraw." They don't say it because there are either no studies or if they said who performed them you would realize they aren't reputable.