PDA

View Full Version : Article: A Gun Lobby's Ricochet

Patriot
04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Link (http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/apr/09/a-gun-lobbys-ricochet/)

Last year's tactics reverberate in Sacramento

A year ago this month, lobbyists for gun owners and sportsmen's groups were feeling fairly cocky about their ability to block legislation they didn't like.

Even when they lost a battle in the Legislature, they felt confident they had a backstop in the executive branch.

This year, gun-industry lobbyists don't quite have the same swagger.

It's largely because things didn't turn out so well last year in the governor's office after all. Not only did Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ultimately sign the ban on lead ammunition, he also unexpectedly signed a bill to require semi-automatic handguns be equipped with devices that will place an identifying stamp on all ammunition fired from them.

Those actions appear to have given hope to lawmakers, who have introduced a new round of proposed gun regulations this year.

Article talks about the whole lead ammo/microstamping mess and its repercussions.

hoffmang
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm curious to see if those who doubted Bill W's version of events will apologize to Bill for being the accurate messenger...

Not NRA screwed up and NRA got painted with the paintbrush. Also, those who wish to call Arnie names are giving up on having him help us in the future. I'd rather keep my friends close and enemies closer and I'm not so sure Arnie is an enemy.

-Gene

bwiese
04-09-2008, 1:44 PM
I'll quote the story in its entirety before the linky above evaporates.

Herdt: A gun-lobby's ricochet

By Timm Herdt Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A year ago this month, lobbyists for gun owners and sportsmen's groups were feeling fairly cocky about their ability to block legislation they didn't like.

Even when they lost a battle in the Legislature, they felt confident they had a backstop in the executive branch.

Last April, for instance, after losing a committee vote on a bill to prohibit hunters from using lead ammunition in areas where California condors roam, the executive director of Gun Owners of California shrugged. "See you in the governor's office," he told his adversaries.

It's largely because things didn't turn out so well last year in the governor's office after all. Not only did Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ultimately sign the ban on lead ammunition, he also unexpectedly signed a bill to require semi-automatic handguns be equipped with devices that will place an identifying stamp on all ammunition fired from them.

Those actions appear to have given hope to lawmakers, who have introduced a new round of proposed gun regulations this year.

Three of this year's bills were heard by the Assembly Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, prompting the gun industry's most prominent Sacramento lobbyist, Kathryn Lynch, to complain, "I feel like we're in Groundhog's Day with all these bills this year."

If those in the industry want to move on, they should endeavor to do some repair work with Schwarzenegger.

He's not a fellow who responds well to being bullied.

After the governor signed those two bills last year, some in the industry responded with petulant name-calling.

Lawrence Keane, president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said the governor showed "that he is just another liberal, anti-gun Hollywood actor — he just plays a moderate Republican on TV."

Sam Paredes of Gun Owners of California — the same fellow who, a year ago, was so confident of getting his way in the governor's office — responded to Schwarzenegger's bill signings last year by suggesting the governor "might as well change his last name to Kennedy because he is acting just like radical anti-gun Sen. Ted Kennedy, his uncle-in-law."

These were laughable lines, designed to insult the only governor in America who personally owns a tank.

The fact is that it was the gun lobby that painted Schwarzenegger into a corner last year. It helped to engineer a letter from Republican lawmakers that prompted the governor to fire a member of the state Fish and Game Commission because he was seen as being too sympathetic to the proposed ban on lead ammunition in condor country.

That ham-handed firing prompted such a backlash that it virtually assured that the ban would be enacted. And it forced Schwarzenegger's office to have to publicly assert that the governor was "not a tool of the NRA."

After Schwarzenegger signed the lead ammunition bill, some observers in the Capitol speculated the episode was also partly responsible for his decision to sign the bill requiring semi-automatic handguns to be equipped with micro-stamping devices.

It remains to be seen whether the events of last year will carry over into the 2008 lawmaking session, but the potential is there.

The most controversial of the new proposals is AB2062 by Assemblyman Kevin De Leon, D-Los Angeles, which advanced out of the Public Safety Committee on Tuesday. It would require vendors of handgun ammunition to obtain a license to sell and their customers to obtain a permit to buy.

The state association of Firearms Retailers has launched a radio advertising campaign in opposition to the bill and is urging customers to sign petitions at their local retailer.

Other proposals include a ban on gun shows at the state-owned Cow Palace in San Francisco and a measure to allow cities to enact bans on handguns.

They have been put forth by urban lawmakers who are being pushed by constituents to do something — anything — to try to deal with escalating gun violence in California cities.

The frustration was evident in their testimony Tuesday.

"These aren't widgets," De Leon said of the bullets he seeks to regulate. "This is a product that has the potential to maim and kill . In many circumstances, that's what they're used for. They're used to hunt people down."

Said Assemblywoman Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, arguing for her bill to allow cities to ban handguns: "People in many inner-cities believe their communities have become killing fields."

If the gun industry wants Schwarzenegger in its corner this year, it will need to respond seriously to such sentiments. Swaggering is no longer an option.

Timm Herdt is chief of The Star's state bureau. Read his political blog "95 percent accurate*" athttp://www.TimmHerdt.com (http://www.timmherdt.com/).

Shotgun Man
04-09-2008, 5:30 PM
Other proposals include a ban on gun shows at the state-owned Cow Palace in San Francisco and a measure to allow cities to enact bans on handguns.

I hadn't heard (or forgot) about this. This must be a reaction to that court case that found SF's handgun ban to be pre-empted by state law.

I remember following this back when it happened. What I never understood was how the NRA made Schwarzenegger fire one of the Fish and Game commishes. Why did he do it? How does he justify it? That's what started this whole thing. It just seems so lame and unsophisticated that Schwarzenegger would react so vehemently to his own firing of someone.

hoffmang
04-09-2008, 5:41 PM
The bill that you're referring to in bold above is AB 2566 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_2551-2600/ab_2566_cfa_20080407_104717_asm_comm.html). It didn't do so well in Committee yesterday. I think the antis understood that it would be a signed invitation with a bow on it to bring Gura and Levy to San Francisco post Heller.

-Gene

chris
04-09-2008, 6:06 PM
From Patriots post:

this is exactly what i have been saying since the new year started. they are empowered to go further than ever before they believe they can do anything they want. and guess what they are doing it. even breaking the rules of the legislature to do it.

LAK Supply
04-09-2008, 6:15 PM
I'd rather keep my friends close and enemies closer and I'm not so sure Arnie is an enemy.

-Gene

Does that mean Uncle Ted is our friend as well?

Shotgun Man
04-09-2008, 6:19 PM
The bill that you're referring to in bold above is AB 2566 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_2551-2600/ab_2566_cfa_20080407_104717_asm_comm.html). It didn't do so well in Committee yesterday. I think the antis understood that it would be a signed invitation with a bow on it to bring Gura and Levy to San Francisco post Heller.

-Gene

What happened? I went to the leginfo site and there's no news. It just says on 4/2/08 it was referred to the Public Safety Committee.

hoffmang
04-09-2008, 6:40 PM
Does that mean Uncle Ted is our friend as well?

Ted might be your swimming buddy but he's not mine. You remember the other Anti legislation that Arnie vetoed in 2006 or do you suffer from short term memory when convenient?

-Gene

hoffmang
04-09-2008, 6:41 PM
What happened? I went to the leginfo site and there's no news. It just says on 4/2/08 it was referred to the Public Safety Committee.
It failed votes in the committee it was in: http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2566&year=2008

-Gene

H Paul Payne
04-09-2008, 6:42 PM

Just an FYI for all of you who rely on the web site controlled by the same people who want to take away our freedom to own and use firearms, aka the "leginfo" site.

I did a survey of all firearms-related bills, listed on the State's "leginfo" web site, during the 2005-2006 legislative cycle. I found that the accuracy of that site was just a hair below 74%.

Make your own determination of what that means.

Paul

LAK Supply
04-09-2008, 6:49 PM
Ted might be your swimming buddy but he's not mine. You remember the other Anti legislation that Arnie vetoed in 2006 or do you suffer from short term memory when convenient?

-Gene

Nope.... I'm well aware of the facts. I'm pretty sure you have me mixed up with Arnie... he forgets when it's convenient for him.