PDA

View Full Version : Santa Rosa unregistered assault rifle bust

Steyr_223
04-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Soldier on leave from Iraq leads police to cache of explosives, weapons in Santa Rosa.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/07/BAAB101NG8.DTL

(04-07) 23:13 PDT Santa Rosa -- A dispute in Santa Rosa between a soldier on leave from Iraq and his wife's boyfriend lead authorities today to discover a cache of firearms and 350 pounds of fireworks and other explosives that resulted in the arrests of the wife and her boyfriend.

Sonoma County authorities arrested Margaret Reily-Sabourin, 49, and Robert Didier, 51, on suspicion of making explosive devices at their home in the Wayside Mobile Home Park.

The two are being held at the Sonoma County Jail with bail set at $50,000 each.

Authorities were responding to a call placed this morning by a 55-year-old Army National Guard soldier on leave from Iraq. The soldier, who is married to but estranged from Reily-Sabourin, asked Sheriff's deputies to accompany him to a mobile home on Santa Rosa Avenue in order to pick up some personal items.

The soldier, who authorities did not identify, had been in a fight with Didier several days earlier.

At the home, authorities saw what appeared to be evidence of a fireworks and explosive device manufacturing operation. They obtained a search warrant and called the county's bomb squad. Deputies seized 250 pounds of fireworks and homemade bombs, and 100 pounds of explosive powders, said Sheriff's Lt. Greg Contos.

Authorities said they also seized six rifles, one of which appears to be an unregistered assault rifle, and 2 handguns from the residence.

The findings prompted an evacuation of a portion of a mobile home park.

Investigators said there was no evidence the couple planned a large-scale attack.

"This is not a terrorist cell or people with a big plan to blow something up," said Contos said. "It's a couple of people making explosive devices for whatever reason that's undetermined at this time."

Crazed_SS
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Servicemembers fail at selecting mates

Stanze
04-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Ahh, the ol' smuggle a underfolder Kalashnikov from Iraq in the cut/welded up gas tank of a HMMV trick.:43:

Good one!

jandmtv
04-08-2008, 12:08 AM
only $50k each? WTF!?!?!

ivanimal
04-08-2008, 12:14 AM

And the general population at 50 percent success is OK?:rolleyes:

The guy is lucky he just got arrested. I would not want to piss off a soldier.

G60
04-08-2008, 12:38 AM
"This is not a terrorist cell or people with a big plan to blow something up," said Contos said. "It's a couple of people making explosive devices for whatever reason that's undetermined at this time."

no, of course not.

E Pluribus Unum
04-08-2008, 2:13 AM
(04-07) 23:13 PDT Santa Rosa -- A dispute in Santa Rosa between a soldier on leave from Iraq and his wife's boyfriend lead authorities today to discover a cache of firearms and 350 pounds of fireworks and other explosives that resulted in the arrests of the wife and her boyfriend.

Sonoma County authorities arrested Margaret Reily-Sabourin, 49, and Robert Didier, 51, on suspicion of making explosive devices at their home in the Wayside Mobile Home Park.

I marked the appropriate markers that this was going to end in someone arrested.

PonchoTA
04-08-2008, 3:41 AM
I agree. I am guilty of this, twice! I'm STILL paying for the first one. :rolleyes:

But, I'm not bitter! :43:

KenpoProfessor
04-08-2008, 5:00 AM
Authorities said they also seized six rifles, one of which appears to be an unregistered assault rifle, and 2 handguns from the residence.

And this is what BWO landed in jail for, but at least they explained it correctly.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Rem1492
04-08-2008, 5:20 AM
Good point Kenpo. I love how CA goes apeS--T over something that is totally legal in other states.

Note to self: dont deploy and date chick in trailer park.

aileron
04-08-2008, 6:11 AM
Probably only making fireworks, and might have an unregistered assault weapon.

saki302
04-08-2008, 6:12 AM
Does 250 pounds of fireworks and 100lbs of explosive powder seem excessive to anyone else? :D

I wouldn't want to be their neighbor if/when they have an 'unfortunate accident'.

-Dave

guns_and_labs
04-08-2008, 6:34 AM
Deputies seized 250 pounds of fireworks and homemade bombs, and 100 pounds of explosive powders, said Sheriff's Lt. Greg Contos.

Sounds like my reloading operation. ;) A few of my overpressure loads probably do qualify as explosive devices... anything for 100 fps more.

CSACANNONEER
04-08-2008, 6:49 AM
Does 250 pounds of fireworks and 100lbs of explosive powder seem excessive to anyone else? :D

I wouldn't want to be their neighbor if/when they have an 'unfortunate accident'.

-Dave

There's a good reason for the 5th amendment!

Mitch
04-08-2008, 6:53 AM
And this is what BWO landed in jail for, but at least they explained it correctly.

His bail was set at $500,000.

Yet . . .

At the home, authorities saw what appeared to be evidence of a fireworks and explosive device manufacturing operation. They obtained a search warrant and called the county's bomb squad. Deputies seized 250 pounds of fireworks and homemade bombs, and 100 pounds of explosive powders, said Sheriff's Lt. Greg Contos.

Result? Bail set at a tenth of Corwin's.

WTF?

Yankee Clipper
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds like my reloading operation. A few of my overpressure loads probably do qualify as explosive devices... anything for 100 fps more.
I believe the powder in the fireworks and the powder they're calling 'explosive powder', probably for making more fireworks, is a lot more unstable than the smokeless powder you and I use for our reloading. That was definitely the wrong kind of operation to have in a trailer park.

Liberty1
04-08-2008, 2:24 PM
Where are the crimes against person or property? Oh the State was injured and had its feeling hurt. Still waiting for a description of a real crime. Perhaps a muni-code citation for improper storage would be more appropriate. But this is CA where everything is a felony unless you are into liberal feel good things like naked jogging in Berkeley. :)

I'm from the government and I've here to protect you...from yourself.

Army
04-09-2008, 2:35 AM
Ahh, the ol' smuggle a underfolder Kalashnikov from Iraq in the cut/welded up gas tank of a HMMV trick.:43:

Good one!
GI Hummer fuel tanks are plastic, always have been.

After the Gulf War, we found rifles and MG's inside the fuel tanks of M88's, tied to a string trapped by the gas-cap. Inside truck doors are also a favorite spot. "Air Force" pallets have been hollowed out and filled with munitions or weapons. The unbalanced and too heavy weight are always a give-away.

Inspectors are very very good at finding that which does not want to be found.