PDA

View Full Version : When/where is it legal to fire from vehicle?

ljg17
04-07-2008, 9:34 PM
Can I mount a rifle to the top of a dune buggy and fire it in the desert legally?

Mr. Mildot
04-07-2008, 9:35 PM
Where no one will see you.

packnrat
04-07-2008, 9:45 PM
well your question asked shoot from a vehicle legally.

never...execpt::::::

while hunting and YOU are disabled and have a disability hunting permit.

someone else must be the driver, and can not have a uncased gun with them.

anyother way is a trip to jail....

except..........::::

in the making of a movie...

again better have permits and movie camers on site.

:TFH:

E Pluribus Unum
04-08-2008, 1:22 AM

while hunting and YOU are disabled and have a disability hunting permit.

someone else must be the driver, and can not have a uncased gun with them.

anyother way is a trip to jail....

except..........::::

Another exception:

Depredation permits.

We shoot jack rabbits from a vehicle on the farm as needed to protect the crops.

E Pluribus Unum
04-08-2008, 1:40 AM
Is it legal to fire from a parked vehicle at a firing range?

Why?

Its like the argument I watched on court TV:

A man raped and killed a woman. The perp was on trial for her rape and murder which would have made it his third strike and made the penalty much higher.

The defense attorney argued that because it was not pre-meditated, it was only second degree murder and because he had sex with her after death, not before, that it was not rape, that no additional crime had been committed. The state he was in had no law against having sex with a corpse so once he killed her he could legally do whatever he wanted to the body.

saki302
04-08-2008, 5:10 AM
Just a random thought-

I wonder if it is legal on private property?

I know some of the training oufits have vehicle live-fire defense- draw and fire inside a vehicle, using vehicle as cover, etc.

-Dave

tgun
04-08-2008, 6:43 AM
On the high seas.

ETD1010
04-08-2008, 8:59 PM
Ok seriously, WTF :eek:!? Did you just compare wanting to shoot a gun from a parked car at a firing range to murder and necrophilia?

And as for the why, I'll ask you the same question: Why would you want a gun that looks like an M16?

Or why would you want more power in your car's engine?

Or Why would you want to shoot with 30 round detachable magazines?

Or why...... point made.

ViPER395
04-08-2008, 9:05 PM
Where no one will see you.

Damn someone got to it first :D

AJAX22
04-08-2008, 9:05 PM
I'm having a mount welded to the roll bar on my truck.

Its for my belt fed .30

I don't plan on hunting with it.... I just want it to keep the king of england from taxing my tea.

Riodog
04-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Damn if we don't have some QUESTIONABLE people here!

Rio:eek:

jacques
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Is it legal to fire from a parked vehicle at a firing range?
We can always just shoot the parked car at the firing range:D

AaronHorrocks
04-09-2008, 7:41 AM
There's this place called COLORADO that's just awesome!

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2072/0507coloradotrip0304640pg9.jpg

packnrat
04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Another exception:

Depredation permits.

We shoot jack rabbits from a vehicle on the farm as needed to protect the crops.

not a farmer so i did not know that one, so now there are three execptions on the list.:eek::eek::eek:

E Pluribus Unum
04-09-2008, 7:38 PM
not a farmer so i did not know that one, so now there are three execptions on the list.:eek::eek::eek:

It is kind of cool but it is needed.

Those rabbits don't care what time it is so whenever and wherever they are near the crops we can shoot them; night time, daytime, does not matter. We shoot cotton tail year round regardless of hunting season.

CSACANNONEER
04-10-2008, 5:26 AM
Another exception:

Depredation permits.

Yea, I used to shoot deer this way when I worked for a farmer.

CSACANNONEER
04-10-2008, 5:28 AM
My question still hasn't really been answered (or I missed the answer), can you fire from a parked vehicle at a firing range?

Even a parked vehicle is a vehicle. I've heard of other people, in more gun friendly states, getting in trouble for shooting out of the bed of their truck, while parked.

E Pluribus Unum
04-10-2008, 7:35 AM
Even a parked vehicle is a vehicle. I've heard of other people, in more gun friendly states, getting in trouble for shooting out of the bed of their truck, while parked.

Other gun loving states have a maximum magazine capacity for rifles as well; California does not. I routinely hunt with my M1A with a 20 round magazine.

redcliff
04-10-2008, 7:56 AM
I found this in the penal code:
12034. (a) It is a misdemeanor for a driver of any motor vehicle or the owner of any motor vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, knowingly to permit any other person to carry into or bring into the vehicle a firearm in violation of Section 12031 of this code or Section 2006 of the Fish and Game Code.

(b) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly permits any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year or in state prison for 16 months or two or three years.

(c) Any person who willfully and maliciously discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle at another person other than an occupant of a motor vehicle is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in state prison for three, five, or seven years.

(d) Except as provided in Section 3002 of the Fish and Game Code, any person who willfully and maliciously discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year or in the state prison.

(Amended Ch. 1147, Stats. 1987. Effective September 26, 1987.)

I don't even see any exemption for depradation permits in (b). Am I missing something?

E Pluribus Unum
04-10-2008, 8:24 AM
I found this in the penal code:
12034. (a) It is a misdemeanor for a driver of any motor vehicle or the owner of any motor vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, knowingly to permit any other person to carry into or bring into the vehicle a firearm in violation of Section 12031 of this code or Section 2006 of the Fish and Game Code.

Fish and Game Code
2006. It is unlawful to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in any
vehicle or conveyance or its attachments which is standing on or
along or is being driven on or along any public highway or other way
open to the public.

This says it is illegal to shoot from a public road; it says nothing of private property or private roads.

Penal Code
12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

This is all talking about a public place. Private land is OK. The reason a depredation permit is required for cotton tail is because it is considered a "game mammal" so there is a hunting season for them. Hunters are also not allowed to hunt at night. With a depredation permit, it is not "hunting" it is protecting the crops.

(b) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly permits any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year or in state prison for 16 months or two or three years.

This is the punishment for violation of section a.

(c) Any person who willfully and maliciously discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle at another person other than an occupant of a motor vehicle is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in state prison for three, five, or seven years.

(d) Except as provided in Section 3002 of the Fish and Game Code, any person who willfully and maliciously discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year or in the state prison.

Depredation permit shooting is not malicious.

jacques
04-10-2008, 9:37 AM
We should revive the drive by shooting jokes here:

What Goes Clip-Clop BANG BANG! Clip-Clop BANG BANG! Clip-Clop BANG-BANG???

An AMISH Drive-by Shooting!"

E Pluribus Unum
04-10-2008, 9:41 AM

Ummm.. not funny.

ljg17
04-10-2008, 4:08 PM

So If I film it and get some kind of movie permit from BLM then I should be OK correct? I realize that the full-auto prop house permit is not going to happen but a simple permit to "shoot" a movie on BLM should be like getting a parade permit- pretty straight forward I would think.

packnrat
04-10-2008, 4:24 PM
So If I film it and get some kind of movie permit from BLM then I should be OK correct? I realize that the full-auto prop house permit is not going to happen but a simple permit to "shoot" a movie on BLM should be like getting a parade permit- pretty straight forward I would think.

it will take a bit more than just that. not up on the movie "laws" but look into them real good befoe doing any shooting....also talk to a lawyer first.

.:TFH:

Shotgun Man
04-10-2008, 5:35 PM
Originally Posted by jacques

Ummm.. not funny.

Why isn't that funny? I'm gonna tell that one at work.

MILLITIAof1
04-10-2008, 6:35 PM
I have had a few encounters with Rangers while shooting from the bed of my truckout in Mojave. Nothing was ever said about it not being allowed, they just wanted to make sure we were very aware that someone could potentially ride across our "range".