PDA

View Full Version : 155G Scenar loads

Prc329
04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I need to adjust my load for the new barrel and was wondering what everyone is using.

My load that worked great in my stock barrel was lapua brass, CCI BR2, 45.5 IMR4895 seated to 2.83. It was accurate as I could be and running 2800FPS. No pressure signs. The new barrel the same load is running almost 3000fps and is showing ejector marks on the brass and I had to re-seat to 2.815 for the tighter chamber. I was going to do something else but decided against it cause I already had like 75 rounds loaded to test. No funny looking primers or popped primers just hard ejector marks that were not present on the SMK load.

My 175g SMK load is showing no pressure signs but the federal brass is going to go bye bye. After 2 reloads in what has been my go to load (first time reloading the federal brass, used winny before) I popped a few primers. The load is 41.5g IMR4895 and is running 2800fps in the new barrel seated to 2.815. The winny/BH brass was on the money and looked fine.

Cypriss32
04-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Allright, im shure you heard this before. Dont use your factory barrel loads in you match tight chamber. Now you see why.

Work your way up from 42grs IMR4895. That brass wont be good too much longer...... my 30-06 brass was like that when I accidently loaded 10 rounds with 62.5 grs Rl22 with 210gr VLDS. They gave me bad exracter marks. Next time I loaded them, primers fell out. ALL my old brass was chucked and order 500 new ones.

Prc329
04-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Allright, im shure you heard this before. Dont use your factory barrel loads in you match tight chamber. Now you see why.

I know but its call being excited and lazy :)

rksimple
04-07-2008, 7:05 AM
Theres a thread over on SH about 155 scenars in the reloading section. Its pretty good and has some data for IMR4895. I'm using win cases, 210m's, and 45.0 gr RL15. OAL is set at 2.825". Gets me about 2925 from the dope I got.

Prc329
04-07-2008, 7:16 AM
In the new rifle?

rksimple
04-07-2008, 8:07 AM
Oh yes, thats in the new one. I got rid of the 10fp. Still have the 12fv in 223, and a stevens in 308, but thats all of my "barrel nut" rifles.

Prc329
04-07-2008, 8:11 AM
Interesting. My RL15 load in the old rifle was a full grain more then my IMR4895 load. I'll have to do some testing in a couple of weeks to iron out that load.

Spdjunkie
04-07-2008, 11:36 AM
:eek: !!!

- I have posted this numerous times before, PLEASE DO NOT REUSE "OLD" DATA IN YOUR "NEW" MATCH CHAMBER/RIFLE

This means:
- DO NOT use Old Data:
- DO NOT use Old O.A.L.
- DO NOT use Old Powder Charge
- DO NOT expect OLD Factory Chamber Fired Brass to Chamber Properly
- DO NOT LOAD UP on Powder than WORK Down
- DO NOT TAKE "OTHERS DATA" & Use it as Your own.
- DO NOT USE OTHER Persons Handloads
- DATA From Programs are ONLY a Base Point, DO not Load to Max and Adjust Down.

IMHO the most important: Nothing should require effort in loading/chambering/extracting ammo into your rifle. If it requires Effort YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG !!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE -or- IF you have, set that ammo aside and "RELOAD"

Things to do:
- PLEASE DO NOT BE LAZY w/ Things that can Potentially, Will, HARM YOU.
* Hardened Steel, Your rifle, coming apart and becoming shrapnel is BAD
- WORK UP YOUR OWN LOAD(s)
- GO SLOW = Again, GO SLOW
- USE A CHRONOGRAPH / PAPER = DO NOT GUESS
- YOUR 100 Groups Are just the Start = SHOOT AT 200/300 to VERIFY Accuracy at Distance

Note/FWIW: Dont Chase Velocity, No Reason to. The best shooters in the biz will tell you that faster does not mean more accurate. Slower is better in A LOT / MOST cases. DO NOT attempt to achieve Hot Rod AI / Magnum velocities from something that is not. Your target will not know the difference if its 168/175 grn pill at 2550 fps or 2700 fps. At "Effective" .308 Win Distance all slower means is more MIN(s) in your dope / or holding a little more over.

PLEASE:
- Always Wear SAFETY Glasses, NOT GLASS Lens Glasses. IF needed wear contacts or get prescription shooting glasses.
- ANY Strange Marks, Hard Bolt Movement on Extraction, Crapped out Primers, Cracked Brass, etc.... = YOUR RIFLE IS TELLING YOU SOMETHING "IT DONT LIKE"

fwiw:
- Everything stated above is in hopes that members here and others will not make any mistakes that could discourage them from long distance precision shooting & do something that can potentially cause bodily harm or worse.

"To Each His Own"

Have a great one.

Spdjunkie
04-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Interesting. My RL15 load in the old rifle was a full grain more then my IMR4895 load. I'll have to do some testing in a couple of weeks to iron out that load.

"Prc329" You usually have to use a tad bit more RL15 than IMR4895 to achieve comparable MV in the same caliber. Believe they are in different burn rate categories. Of course RL15 being the slower of the two. RL15 is a great .308 powder. A lot of folks have turned to IMR4895 for 155 Scenars.

PistolPete75
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
nayt, using rl15 in that particular chamber you will probably want to load 44.5-45.7grains to be at 2900fps. lupua won't hold that much powder. winchester brass holds more powder than lupua. 44grains seems to be the max for lupua brass.

Forestboy
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
nayt, using rl15 in that particular chamber you will probably want to load 44.5-45.7grains to be at 2900fps. lupua won't hold that much powder. winchester brass holds more powder than lupua. 44grains seems to be the max for lupua brass.

What will .308 Lake City Match brass hold of RE 15 if you know off the top of your head?
Thanks

Prc329
04-07-2008, 1:27 PM
I'm running 4895. I used RL15 but switched back to 4895 cause I didn't like how much powder I had to put in the case with RL15. I was getting rings on the bullets and I believe crushing the powder. The scenars for me always seemed more accurate at 2900+. Thanks for the refresher, it was simply a case of being stupid. DONT TRY THAT AT HOME FOLKS, I LEARNED MY LESSON. luckily no one was hurt. There was no effort in working the bolt and no other pressure signs at the range. Once I got home I was looking over the brass getting ready to put it in the tumbler when I noticed the extractor marks. I'll take a picture later. The weird part is they were not there the first time I shot the new barrel/chamber.

PistolPete75
04-07-2008, 2:20 PM
What will .308 Lake City Match brass hold of RE 15 if you know off the top of your head?
Thanks

i have no experience in military brass.

ar15barrels
04-07-2008, 8:56 PM
Oh yes, thats in the new one. I got rid of the 10fp. Still have the 12fv in 223, and a stevens in 308, but thats all of my "barrel nut" rifles.

I heard that converting "barrel nut" rifles to standard breeching rifles can work really good.
I have not tried it yet, but I have a long action 110 that's going to be put together that way as a 7mag with my own AICS like stock.

m24armorer
05-02-2008, 5:18 PM
7 mag? Tell me. I never found one that would shoot less than 1.5 MOA. Barrels were Kreiger, Rock and KP.

Bunch of loads, bunch of bullets= waste of powder. If you have a 7 mag load that works I'd like to hear about it.

7 mag is fine for hunting, personally I put 7 mag barrels into the scrap pile and turn the actions into something that works

Cypriss32
05-02-2008, 5:20 PM
7 mag? Tell me. I never found one that would shoot less than 1.5 MOA. Barrels were Kreiger, Rock and KP.

Bunch of loads, bunch of bullets= waste of powder. If you have a 7 mag load that works I'd like to hear about it.

7 mag is fine for hunting, personally I put 7 mag barrels into the scrap pile and turn the actions into something that works

HArd to believe something like that. 7mm triupts all.

ar15barrels
05-02-2008, 5:24 PM

Any theories as to why this would be?
Perhaps sizing die setup is not allowing to headspace on the shoulder?
Bad brass?

I could completely understand this when headspacing on the belt, but not on the shoulder.

Whitesmoke
05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm interested in hearing about peoples 7 mag experiences too....anyone have one that works? The ballistics/trajectory I've looked at seem to trump most everything short of a 338 LM....

PistolPete75
05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SHOOTING. But, there are other things that must take priority especially if you do have a family, business, and other responsibilities like school, etc. I've been rearranging my priorities the last two weeks. My girl takes my number 1 spot, and she needs me every day. When I do have some free time which is a few hours, sometimes I'll go shoot but yesterday I had a great time just hanging out with a very good friend of mine, getting a massage that he treated me to, eatting Pinkberry, gettin some good korean food, and just hanging out. I had a great time. Shooting is my passion, but it's also healthy to do other things too.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a $40/hr massage place that is REAL good. PM me. They got to be one of the best I've been too.

Vu 308
05-04-2008, 6:20 PM
Yo pete I think you replied to the wrong post man.

Vu 308
05-04-2008, 6:23 PM
HArd to believe something like that. 7mm triupts all.

And you base this on???? Just because a caliber performs on paper and graphs does not mean it performs in real life.

If the 7mm WSM and MAG were the end all I am sure a lot of BR guys would be shooting them.

I believe a lot of 6mm and 6.5s are still at the top of the food chain in that arena.

Vu

rksimple
05-04-2008, 6:34 PM
How'd the match go, Vu? Sorry I missed it.

Cypriss32
05-04-2008, 7:22 PM
My 7 shoots better then any 30cal ive owned so far..... I printed some good loads today, I was a total sceptic about the 180s mag lengh and they happin to rock. My last group was .75 at 200yd today, No rear bag. Not so bad. Unlike my 30-06 it doesnt like 175s and Rl22 or 208gr AMAX seated to my old OAL. Gona try to seat them .010 - .10 off lands. I dont think big high BC bullets like jumping.

I changed my vacation time, you want me to come still VU?

Cypriss32
05-04-2008, 8:56 PM

I beg the differ, these are jumping VLDS...
3 shots at 200yd measures, .6 from outside to outside. I would of shot more but ran out of ammo :(
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/adam5432002/Groups001.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/adam5432002/Groups002.jpg

10 shots in a .75 outside to outside 100yd with 2 sighters durring sighting in, one on top and one of bottom. So 12 total rounds fired there... 1" dot.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/adam5432002/Groups003.jpg

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
My 7 shoots better then any 30cal ive owned so far..... I printed some good loads today, I was a total sceptic about the 180s mag lengh and they happin to rock. My last group was .75 at 200yd today, No rear bag. Not so bad. Unlike my 30-06 it doesnt like 175s and Rl22 or 208gr AMAX seated to my old OAL. Gona try to seat them .010 - .10 off lands. I dont think big high BC bullets like jumping.

Adam,

I sent you a PM. Cash talks and you know what walks.

Send your entry form in with funds and I will have you a spot. We'll see how bad a55 that 7 wizzle is.

wildcard
05-06-2008, 1:05 PM
Adam,

Send your entry form in with funds and I will have you a spot. We'll see how bad a55 that 7 wizzle is.

Now thats the way I like to see things handled!

Timberwolf
05-06-2008, 1:18 PM
Adam,

called out again . . .

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 1:38 PM
Guys,

Just to clear things up I did not call Adam out on this...

He was first able to make it...then unable to make it.....now he says if I got a spot he is in.

Just giving a shooter the chance to put the rubber to the road.

That being said...I have given him every chance there is to prove his theory on this WSM stuff.

At the end of the day on August 31st this year we'll see what calibers rule and who was the best trigger puller that weekend.

Vu

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 1:48 PM
Money is tending to be an issue...

But hey what do I know. Seems everyone nice inperson till they get behind a Pc....

jwdenny
05-06-2008, 1:49 PM
Adam,

Sounds to me like its time to show up or..........well we all know how this goes.

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 1:51 PM
Sounds to me like its time to show or..........well we all know how this goes.

How about this let me know your name and Ill come up and see if you are half the man you act on the net? I doudt it. THis is getting old...

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 1:56 PM
Money is tending to be an issue...

But hey what do I know. Seems everyone nice inperson till they get behind a Pc....

It's not an issue..you PMed with me a proposal for funds..I said thats fine but if you are serious send in a post dated check with your entry. Won't cash till the day you tell me its good to go. I think thats more than fair if you ask me.

I mean there isn't much more I can do other than pay for the spot out of my own pocket brother.

As for me being nice or not...I think I am a fair guy...but I just don't have time for the BS.

Even after the blow out with Pete I tried my best to get him up here.

Vu

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 1:58 PM
Cypriss...um...before you start talking bro...that guy happens to be one of the ROs at this event.

Let your 7WSM do the talking man....

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 2:01 PM
Ill talk all I want. Seems ive taken it and said nothing back untill now. Total bs bro.

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 2:06 PM
Eh...free country.

All I care about is the roster. You said you were in..has that changed?

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 2:07 PM
Funds go out friday after I get off.

wildcard
05-06-2008, 2:10 PM
Must we also resort to threat of physical altercation?

Here's the chain of events as i've seen it:

Come August 31th and we'll see who needs to shut up :)

Vu 308
Hell yea......thats what I wanted to hear.

jwdenny
Good deal bro....you won't regret shooting at the NorCal Country Club.

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 2:12 PM
Vu any more **** you want to talk Pm me and anyone else.

And Jason seems you are really nice in person, but behind the PC different person arent you.

wildcard
05-06-2008, 2:19 PM
Vu any more **** you want to talk Pm me and anyone else.

And Jason seems you are really nice in person, but behind the PC different person arent you.

I'm equally nice :) I haven't talked smack to you or Vu have I? Just trying to bring everything into perspective. Makes no diff to me if you prove that your 7mm is the cats meow or if Vu don't know what he's talking about. But I do enjoy competition and seeing people back up what they say through that venue!

As for me.. i just like seeing how far I can get with my lowly factory .308 700P and inferior 168 gr SMK.

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 2:29 PM
+1 Jason.

If you are going to rant about stuff...you gotta back it up on the firing line.

Besides good friendly competition makes us all better shooters. Rob kicks my a55 most of the time but he still offers help and suggestions on what I can do to better my shooting.

I think Jason will do well among the 308 guys...who knows we may have a special trophy for top 308 shooter.

Vu

grandslam
05-06-2008, 2:35 PM
I guess this got a little off topic. That or you guys use 155's alot differently than most.:D

rksimple
05-06-2008, 2:37 PM
I guess this got a little off topic. That or you guys use 155's alot differently than most.:D

You'll find that every topic here in the precision rifle section gets a bit off topic. Its not normal otherwise...

wildcard
05-06-2008, 2:44 PM
You'll find that every topic here in the precision rifle section gets a bit off topic. Its not normal otherwise...

We all just post in whatever thread is at the top :cool:

grandslam
05-06-2008, 4:09 PM
Works for me. Should be a great match in August no matter what the outcome of all this is.

ar15barrels
05-06-2008, 5:34 PM
Ill talk all I want.

I think we found the root of the problem right there.

ar15barrels
05-06-2008, 5:37 PM
You'll find that every topic here in the precision rifle section gets a bit off topic.

"a bit" might be the understatement of the year. ;)

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 5:41 PM
I think we found the root of the problem right there.

Same with you Randall...... It gets old being Ive been at the last 2 matchs and you have not. Being thats all that matters to you right. No matter how busy you are, what you have to do. Kinda funny you have zero room to talk now days.

Whats the problem here.......

PistolPete75
05-06-2008, 5:47 PM
looks like you guys are up to the same old stuff. i'm about to head out to the gym.

i've been crazy busy lately. getting things reorganized, and i'm back in a groove. but my new schedule means less time for shooting.

ar15barrels
05-06-2008, 5:55 PM
Same with you Randall...... It gets old being Ive been at the last 2 matchs and you have not. Being thats all that matters to you right. No matter how busy you are, what you have to do. Kinda funny you have zero room to talk now days.

I've been either out of town working and not able to make it, or shooting other matches.
I'm in New York right now.

Cypriss32
05-06-2008, 6:01 PM
I've been either out of town working and not able to make it, or shooting other matches.
I'm in New York right now.

Nice to know as you said for me, It doesnt matter does it. Sometimes you gotta understand not everyone life revolves are shooting. Mine shure as heel does NOT. If I have class stuff to handle it takes importance over shooting. If I have to work it takes importance over shooting.

Now back to topic, I have had trouble getting my 155s to shoot out of my old 308. It shot AMAX well and SMKS well but not those. Ive heard that seating them just off lands might help? Every rifle is different.

This last weekend I did some testing with my 208gr AMAX in my 30-06, It wouldnt shoot less then .8 at 100yd. I need to work on my seating dept, do you guys think that the 208gr AMAX is more VLD style bullet that needs to be touching or just off lands?
Or SMK style bullet that handles jumping good?

Vu 308
05-06-2008, 6:20 PM

Guess we'll have a few side matches this coming august. LOL.

I am going to enjoy watching this stuff unfold.

Prc329
05-06-2008, 6:28 PM
I haven't had a chance to test just yet due to moving and life being so crazy but I have a plan and I think on paper at least that I know what is my problem. I know the load is good for a consistent 3/4 moa out to 600 yards. I would like to get it under that. My SMK load is more accurate at shorter ranges.

I think I may be able to get out next weekend. I gotta get with Jicko and see if he is busy once I am sure I can go out. I may try Project2000 so I can use there indoor 100 yard range and take all the variables out and make sure the only thing that can cause errors in my shooting is me or the load.

Jicko
05-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Let me know.... I am planning on a trip to Project 2000, since.... that would be the best to rule out wind and shooting angle.....

I am working on a project on my 700P....

I want to get things straighten up before the class...

I also promise to go out there with SDJim and FlyingPen to get FP straighten out on his newly acquired rig for the class...

Vu 308
05-07-2008, 6:26 AM
What?! You guys have a indoor 100yard range? Talk about country club....

Prc329
05-07-2008, 6:30 AM
http://www.project2000range.com/

I haven't been there yet but I hear it is a nice place.

Tacticalintervention
05-14-2008, 1:37 PM
Nice read. A few things

Anyone attempting violence at the August Match will have me sit on thier chest awhile. Last thing we need is pee pee contest on range. This is stupid.

The 155 Scenar does not act like a normal 155. Treat it like a 185 for bbl twist and things work better. I like 1x12 for 30" tube and 1x1.27 in shorter tube although most times a 1x12 twist will work great.

Set to max mag length if for repeater use and you ahve normal match chamber

If its for F TR work switch to just touching lands

Sort for weight and tip OG length for absolute accuracy at 1000 yards.

Jicko
05-14-2008, 1:42 PM
Nice read. A few things

Anyone attempting violence at the August Match will have me sit on thier chest awhile. Last thing we need is pee pee contest on range. This is stupid.

The 155 Scenar does not act like a normal 155. Treat it like a 185 for bbl twist and things work better. I like 1x12 for 30" tube and 1x1.27 in shorter tube although most times a 1x12 twist will work great.

Set to max mag length if for repeater use and you ahve normal match chamber

If its for F TR work switch to just touching lands

Sort for weight and tip OG length for absolute accuracy at 1000 yards.

Welcome to the board!

http://www.tacticalintervention.com/

Good stuff!! Especially your sling....

Tacticalintervention
05-20-2008, 6:15 AM
Thanks appreciate the welcome

Vu 308
05-20-2008, 5:15 PM
LOL..there will be no violence on our lines Mike, you can bet on that.

Cypriss32
05-20-2008, 5:17 PM
LOL..there will be no violence on our lines Mike, you can bet on that.

I dont think there is anymore problems.........

Timberwolf
05-20-2008, 9:34 PM
If I have class stuff to handle it takes importance over shooting. If I have to work it takes importance over shooting.

You need to find the central balance in your young life; search your soul until your priorities are once again aligned with the great spirits of the universe; only then can you find your true zen.

ar15barrels
05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
only then can you find your true zen.

I shot 3 matches in the last two weeks and two of them were night matches... :)

Cypriss32
05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Schools almost over 2 weeks and we are shooting again....... Untill august 31st then im back to the grind.. You want the action bill, Randy got me a 223 one. 350.00 and its at his house.

ar15barrels
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Schools almost over 2 weeks and we are shooting again.......

:);):eek::D

Cypriss32
05-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Randall Im intersted in 3 gun, I checked out Zach smiths stuff over on SH. I have a USP expert Glock 21 (all have 6 mags 45acps), M1a, SPR ar15, and need a scatter gun thow. When the next match, Id like to come and watch.

ar15barrels
05-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Randall Im intersted in 3 gun, I checked out Zach smiths stuff over on SH. I have a USP expert Glock 21 (all have 6 mags 45acps), M1a, SPR ar15, and need a scatter gun thow. When the next match, Id like to come and watch.

Funny you should ask...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=101992

I have an extra Benelli M1S90 to loan out.

Cypriss32
05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Whens the next one...... Finals weeks this week and next.

ar15barrels
05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Whens the next one......

4th saturday of every month at WEGC.
There's also LESA on the 2nd Sunday at Rahauges or X3 at Piru on the 3rd sunday.

SDJim
05-21-2008, 5:48 AM
Let me know.... I am planning on a trip to Project 2000, since.... that would be the best to rule out wind and shooting angle.....

I am working on a project on my 700P....

I want to get things straighten up before the class...

I also promise to go out there with SDJim and FlyingPen to get FP straighten out on his newly acquired rig for the class...

I think we're running out of time on the trip to P2000. I have Friday off and am shooting the BE Match @ SBR&G on Saturday AM.

I've got my FC 02 LR brass cleaned & primed, going to trim tonight and start loading tomorrow. Going to seat the 175 smk's to .020 off the lands.

I'm looking forward to Saturday.