View Full Version : How to get to PANOCHE

04-04-2008, 9:54 PM
I see that a group is planning a shoot at Panoche on April 12th. How do you get there from the bay area? Also, is there going to be a central meeting place and time?

Thanks, Steve

04-04-2008, 9:58 PM
You guys at DOJ should have the resources to find it. Try your 2D navigation. :TFH:

04-04-2008, 10:16 PM
You guys at DOJ should have the resources to find it. Try your 2D navigation. :TFH:

Nice warm welcome to the forum. :rolleyes: Not going myself, and have only done some jeepin' in Hollister nearby.

Someone else may have actual directions, but I'd do a search here and see what comes up. There's at least one or two threads where people discuss where at that location they go and which gate to enter.

Here's also the link for the BLM land.

04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
maps.google -> directions from your city to panoche hills, ca. takes about 2 hrs 15 minutes. just hit the I5 and get off at mercy hot springs exit, i think.

04-06-2008, 2:38 AM
i posted directions in that thread...

04-06-2008, 7:57 AM
Went to Tumey Hills yesterday. Lots of fun. Did not see anybody else. Will this area be closing after next week? Did not see any formal gates they could close. Just drove approx. 10 miles back and setup the gear. 4 hours later and aprrox 1000 rounds shot we were done. Had a great time.

04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
The shoot is at Panoche hills. Not Turney. There's 3 gates. The one they lock is 4 miles back so you can actually shoot there all year long. The Mercy Hot Springs entrance is the one to take. If you come from I-5, Pass the first blm and keep going. It's just before the springs from I-5. Just after from Hwy 25. Follow directions "A"

How to get there:
a) Panoche Hills: From I-5, take the Mercy Hot Springs exit. Continue west on this road, past the Little Panoche Retention Dam. You will see a BLM sign on your left, indicating the entrance to the Panoche Hills. The gravel access road bisects the Panoche Hills, but has no outlet on the east side. The road is closed four miles up the road during fire season, which is roughly April 15-October 15. From Highway 25, take the J-1 road at Paicines, and head east. Turn left onto "Little Panoche Road", and continue until you see the BLM sign described above. A good landmark is the Mercy Hot Springs Resort, which is almost directly opposite the access point.

b) Tumey Hills: From I-5, take the Panoche Road exit. The first Tumey Hills access point is located roughly 3 miles from the Highway. Be aware that within 2 miles of I-5, Panoche Road turns to dirt. The second access point is about 5 miles beyond the first. The Tumey Hills are closed to vehicle access with the onset of fire season, as described above. If you are coming from the Hollister/King City direction, take Highway 25 to the town of Paicines and head east on J-1, which is the other end of Panoche Road. A 14-mile stretch of this road is unpaved, beginning soon after the intersection with Little Panoche Road.

04-06-2008, 2:19 PM
And if you are new to Panoche, please do clean up after yourself when you're done. Thanks.

04-06-2008, 7:51 PM
hehehehe Panoche... kinda sounds like Panocha....hehehehe ;)

04-06-2008, 8:17 PM
I am in the Bay Area, going down on the 12th as well. Let me know, I can lead the way! Send me a PM.

04-06-2008, 8:39 PM
:threadjacked:Go back to this one.

let's keep the bullets going the same direction.