PDA

View Full Version : Weapon transportation *dumb* question

Ironchef
04-04-2008, 4:21 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious to know what is considered a "locked container?"

I know that it has to be a container that has a locking mechanism applied..like a pad lock, combo lock, etc..probably even a sturdy zip tie, right?

Well, what about the container itself? My understanding from PC and sighted examples on CG boards over the months, is that "ANY" container can work..like a backpack (with the gun loosely stored inside it) with a luggage or pad lock between zipper hoops? A range bag (nylon with multiple compartments) with a gun placed inside it?

I guess what I'm getting at is: Does this container simply serve as a barrier against ready to use/loading of a transported firearm? If this is the case, can a semi-rigid, transparent plastic container (like a see through backpack) be ok..with a lock on zippers or flaps?

I'm asking because I don't like taking my Smith gun case or any hard case with me to the range when I go. I'd prefer to simply put it in my range bag, lock the zipper up, and go. Or maybe put ammo, mags, and the gun into a backpack (gun in an isolated pouch) and go...locking the zipper. And sometimes, I want to put the gun in my pink plastic hello kitty duffel and go...just kidding.

hawk1
04-04-2008, 5:03 PM
Penal code 12026.2

(d) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term "locked container" does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.

Ironchef
04-04-2008, 5:08 PM
Penal code 12026.2

Yes, I know the PC. I"m asking what a container is considered?

hoffmang
04-04-2008, 5:12 PM
If you can't open the bag with your fingers and get the gun out its a locked container. I've used a duffel bag with two zippers and a padlock before.

-Gene

MudCamper
04-04-2008, 5:13 PM
Not a bumb question at all. It's a good question. I don't think there is any legal description of the container outside of 12026.1 and 12026.2. IMO a duffle bag with a lock through the zippers is good enough. Have there been any court cases about this? Don't know. I've seen some discussion of this on opencarry.org with regard to a holster with a locking mechanism on it. Interesting idea, but of course 12026.2 doesn't allow any "unnecessary deviations" so it's kinda moot in that respect.

otteray
04-04-2008, 5:26 PM
From the California codes:

(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

I don't think a reasonable person would consider a zip lock baggy as secure.
When going to the range, I generally transport my handguns in a locking soft case, or in my padlocked plastic range case/tool box.
I use my hard cases when I go on a trip and it has a chance of being damaged.
I think if you do a search at this and other sites, an abundance of information would be at available for you to confirm my methods as legal.