View Full Version : How do we start a shoot

06-17-2014, 11:46 AM
when are we setting up a shoot

06-18-2014, 11:48 PM
when are we setting up a shoot

do we want to start a thread for a shoot? Is there any place local we can do it(meaning less then 1 hr drive lol)

pennys dad
06-19-2014, 6:16 AM
Hi Everyone

I started this thread and copied these post into it to kick off the discussion.

How do we start a shoot?

1. Pick a spot
2. Start a thread in this sub-forum
3. Answer questions as they come up
4. Have the shoot

Simple generally but there are a few things to keep in mind.

"Pick a spot", if you choose outdoors will you need resources like cover, tables, chairs, food and water?
So know the range you pick so you can provide attendees good information.

(based on a standard “last weekend of the month” shoot)

1 1. Decide whether to do rifles or handguns, or shotguns
2 2. Decide Location of shoot
3 3. Decide on location of Lunch or whether to barbecue on the range.

4 Develop / Update the shoot announcement.
5 Post the Announcement
Post in Antelope Valley Sub-Forum
CGGSA Antelope Valley Shoot
All Firearm discussion threads
a. Handguns
b. Centerfire,
c. Shotguns

Cross post in: Calguns official events and shoots
Cross post in: Meets & range stories
6 Update the mail list
7 Email the Announcement
8 Talk with the range people a week in advance (although some of that has already been done).
1 CGN Flyers (50)
2 CGN Stickers (50)
3 Flowcharts
4 Tri-folds
5 Obtain and pack handouts:
6 CGN Flyers (50) Done
7 CGN Stickers (50)
8 Flowcharts Done
9 Banners
10 Sign in Sheets Done
11 Camera /take pictures so they can be posted
12 Order C3 Shirts if needed

06-19-2014, 1:12 PM
I'm happy with "A Place to shoot", about 20-25 minutes from Lancaster.

$12.50 all day shooting, ammo sales, free ears and eyes if needed, target rentals, steel targets and covered shooting for rifles. Bring cash for entrance, ammo sales accepts CC's, clays, rifles and pistols, porta toilets only, bring small cooler for drinks. Range officers are great, no breathing down necks, respectful, they only check ammo with magnet. They run a non intrusive tight ship if that makes sense.

06-21-2014, 8:36 PM
I have yet to go there, but I would like to check them out.

06-24-2014, 12:50 PM
I have a spot outside of rosamond on blm land. It's not too bad if you don't mind looking at trash. It was cleaned up by AV NRA once but that didn't last.

50 Shooter
06-24-2014, 2:52 PM
There's a spot not far from Rosamond off a couple exits north, I haven't been there but a friend went. He said it was a decent spot to shoot, didn't ask him how big it was or how many people could fit.

Anyone have a truck and want to scope it out? I'm willing to help on gas if someone wants to take a trip? PM me and we can do a recon, maybe take a couple guns and pop off a few rounds while out there.

50 Shooter
06-27-2014, 1:18 AM

07-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Hello all,

I saw that you were kicking around a shoot day, so I have to tell you that Rosamond is shut down for shooting. Kern County Sheriff's shut down the shooting behind Rosamond because too many people where being irresponsible and shooting out towards the little community behind the shooting hills. The residents were taking stray rounds on their property on a regular basis, so it was shut down.

Dove Springs is BLM land so they allow shooting, no cover charge, you just go and find a favorite canyon, set up shop and throw up some targets and have at it. I've shot there a couple of times and the rangers never even came by us.

If getting a few folks together and setting up a few pop-ups for shade, and if shooting on ranges aren't your bag of tea, then you might have more fun up there.

It is about 45 minutes north of Rosamond, straight up the 14, past Mojave and about 10 minutes past the Jawbone General Store. Jawbone I believe is a state operated property so no shooting there, go past Jawbone and on top of the grade is Dove Springs. Its very clean, not trashy and for getting a few folks together and shooting for fun, its worth the drive.

There are dirt bikes and atvs, so canyon choice is an important safety factor, but its all common sense when you get there.

if you have any questions, feel free to message/email me

Happy Shooting

07-11-2014, 6:42 PM
I've been trying to get my brother ad cousin to check it out wit our atvs. We may have to bring our other toys for a weekend

07-13-2014, 8:00 PM
So my GF will be gone the first weekend in Aug. I'm thinking of going to A Place to Shoot in Santa Clarita that Sat. If anyone is interested in testing the water for an unofficial gathering, let me know.

50 Shooter
07-13-2014, 8:38 PM
The next day I have time to go I'm gonna take a trip out to the spot I was looking at, friend said a car can make it out. If it turns out to be a good spot then it might be worth going out to.

The spot that was behind the hills right off Frontage Rd. I never thought was that good. Way to much trash left by shooters (gee, there's a surprise) that went out there. The small group that met here on CG's packed out all of our targets and a few bags of other peoples crap.

I'll let you guys know how it goes after I go out there.

07-18-2014, 3:59 PM
I think I'm going to head the range tomorrow for a morning long range shoot. Unless it's windy then it will be short range stuff.

07-24-2014, 7:40 PM
Change of plans for me. I will be going tomorrow to A Place to Shoot. Just a little past noon. I want to join Desert Marksman and their next orientation is Aug 2

07-26-2014, 7:29 AM
Here are my thoughts on A Place to Shoot. I like it. it's smaller but that can be to our advantage. All the shooters there seemed like they knew what they were doing, definitely a more relaxed feeling then Angeles. They are in the process of making improvements so a few ranges have no cover. there is new concrete for at range 3 and 4. It made picking up brass easy. One of the guys said they are having some sort of event tomorrow(Sunday) for anyone who is interested.

08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
The places near Rosemond are "shut down" hasn't happened to me yet but a few friends have had the cops show up and just tell them they couldn't shoot there. Didn't really hassle them but did kick them out. I go to a place to shoot. Its a good price and the guys there are pretty nice. I go by myself for the most part so if anyone feels like going sometime Im game.

08-28-2014, 4:13 PM
Ive never had an issue shooting off the frontage rd past the road the DG site is. People are out there shooting all the time. 50 shooter, im down to check out some spots with you

08-29-2014, 4:37 PM
I went out there with a Co workers boyfriend couple weeks ago. Spent about 4 hrs out there with other people shooting in surrounding areas. Had no problem what so ever. My first time there, it was very fun. Hot as hell but fun lol.

09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Is this the same spot that uses a big tire as a landmark? I don't remember the name of the roads. All I remember is that when I see the big tire, it's time to turn.

50 Shooter
09-14-2014, 9:03 AM
Dozer, yeah that's the spot I was talking about. Didn't care for it and haven't been back in years as last I heard it was shut down due to slobs leaving their trash.

PM me and we can talk about going to another spot a little further out. It should be good to go, during the week is best for me as I'm always at work but its slower then.

09-17-2014, 10:34 PM
50 Shooter, I was there a few weeks ago to do a little shooting. The place was a mess with shot-up bottles everywhere. It was upsetting to say the least. Since that particular spot has been shut down, do you know of another location in that general area that is ok to shoot in?

50 Shooter
10-01-2014, 1:22 PM
I'm gonna try to take a ride out to the spot I was talking about tomorrow. If anyone is free and wants to take a ride let me know by PM. I'm off 15th St. West by the hospital, will post later what time and if its 100% for sure.

10-06-2014, 7:41 AM
There is a small spot at the end of hwy 14 to the left. Just drive straight through Mojave up and over hwy 58. After crossing 58 look to about the 10 O'clock position and you will see a dirt mound in the desert. It is a short but bumpy dirt road out to the spot. A closer option than dove springs.