PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court ruling, sound off

jfox999
04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
This is THE biggest event for gun owners in the whole country for generations to come. If the justices rule that the 2nd amendment is truly an individual right, (seems likely, as it's in the bill of rights), this may well be a huge victory. Secondary to this is whether the DC gun ban is legal. Can the bill of rights be conditional ? Is a first amendent band ok if you have high crime ? The fourth amendment ? Or if the ruling only applies to militas, do we form are own to keep our rights ?

I think most gun owners favor "Common Sense" restrictions like baring felons, juveniles, etc., but a wholesale ban ?

The ruling comes in June.

Opinions anyone ?

I'm just bored and stiring the pot,

My $0.02

AngelDecoys
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
If the justices rule that the 2nd amendment is truly an individual right, (seems likely, as it's in the bill of rights), this may well be a huge victory.

Only if it will apply to states and only if strict scrutiny is accepted.

Secondary to this is whether the DC gun ban is legal. Can the bill of rights be conditional ? Is a first amendent band ok if you have high crime ? The fourth amendment ? Or if the ruling only applies to militas, do we form are own to keep our rights ?

Bill of rights is a prohibition against federal power, NOT state power. 14th limits states and there were no 14th questions asked in Heller.

The ruling comes in June. Opinions anyone ?

I'm just bored and stiring the pot,

Have you considered SCOTUS declaring the 2nd an 'individual right' but suggesting intermediate scrutiny? (Therefore all banning is still on the table) Have you considered they might reject incorporation under the 14th?

Many opinions here on other threads. WE will have to wait and see what SCOTUS says. Aside from that it's all speculation.

C.G.
04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Most of what you are stating and questioning has been covered in so many threads. If you are bored just look up some threads.

USN CHIEF
04-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Most of what you are stating and questioning has been covered in so many threads. If you are bored just look up some threads.

+1

Well said... :xeno:

LAK Supply
04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Bill of rights is a prohibition against federal power, NOT state power. 14th limits states and there were no 14th questions asked in Heller.

Except the fact that these rights existed prior to any form of government; under this ideology the states should have no rightful premise either. The states could also take away freedom of speech? That hasn't worked out so well in the past.....

AngelDecoys
04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Except the fact that these rights existed prior to any form of government; under this ideology the states should have no rightful premise either. The states could also take away freedom of speech? That hasn't worked out so well in the past.....

Actually up until the 14th amendment passed, states censured many things. It was legal and how the system is designed. Its really due to 100 years of legal work (14th incorporation) that most people think the Bill of Rights, the 1st and others apply directly.

LAK Supply
04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Actually up until the 14th amendment passed, states censured many things. It was legal and how the system is designed. Its really due to 100 years of legal work (14th incorporation) that most people think the Bill of Rights, the 1st and others apply directly.

That was my point.... at the end of the day it didn't work for them.

AngelDecoys
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
That was my point.... at the end of the day it didn't work for them.

No I got the point. :) And with amendments that have been incorporated into the 14th, that's good. Do realize however that there are several amendments that have not been incorporated. States can still infringe on those. The 2nd is one. There are others. There's no guarantee that SCOTUS will opt to incorporate when we live in a post 9/11 world frought with terrorists.

jmlivingston
04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
6 posts just deleted from this thread, lets not have anymore.

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic please.

Hopi
04-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the forum!

This is THE biggest event for gun owners in the whole country for generations to come.
Opinions anyone ?

The forum consensus is that this is an important case.

jmlivingston
04-04-2008, 1:08 AM
Alright, enough. This thread is closed.

I thought that there was enough reasonable discussion to salvage it but some people just couldn't leave it alone.

John