PDA

View Full Version : New email from the Brady bunch

smogcity
04-03-2008, 5:52 PM
I just got this:

CALIFORNIA: NEW LIFE-SAVING BILLS PROPOSED IN SACRAMENTO
LEARN HOW THESE BILLS CAN REDUCE GUN VIOLENCE

Dear California Brady Campaign Member,

Thanks to thousands of your emails and calls last year, Gov. Schwarzenegger signed into law the groundbreaking Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007. Using "microstamping" technology, the law will give law enforcement an important new tool to solve gun crimes and apprehend gun-toting criminals.

Building on this momentum, we are back again with two new proposals that will change the way handguns and bullets are sold in our state. Starting next week, we will have actions you can take to help pass these important bills.

Consumer product modifications, such as pool covers and childproof caps on medicine bottles, have reduced injuries and saved lives. We should expect the same level of safety on handguns. AB 2235, requires new handguns to have fingerprint or grip recognition so that only an authorized user can fire the gun. "Owner Authorized" handguns will help reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

It is easier to purchase bullets for handguns than spray paint or cigarettes. AB 2062, the Ammunition Background Check Bill, would eliminate easy access to handgun ammunition and will help ensure that bullets are not sold to criminals, gang members and kids. Handgun ammunition purchasers would be required to obtain a permit to purchase and undergo a criminal background check. Handgun ammunition sellers would be required to obtain a state license in order to become a regulated business.

RRangel
04-03-2008, 6:02 PM
This is not a surprise around here. The Brady victim disarmers have been beating the same drum for years. Get active, and get your friends active. The more people you can get to contact their reps the better.

mymonkeyman
04-03-2008, 6:05 PM
It is easier to purchase bullets for handguns than spray paint or cigarettes.

Ignoring the Brady idiots failure to distinguish between bullets and cartridges, that is a pretty blatant lie.

KenpoProfessor
04-03-2008, 6:06 PM
Yea, I just got mine,

http://www.bradycampaign.org/chapters/california/

AB 2235 (DeSaulnier) - Owner-Authorized Handguns
Intentional and unintentional shootings could be greatly reduced if a child, teen, thief, or criminal were unable to operate a handgun. AB 2235 requires new handguns to have biometric technology, such as fingerprint recognition, whereby only an authorized user can fire the gun. This requirement on all handguns manufactured or sold in California would take effect eighteen months after owner-authorized handguns are available for retail sale.

Consumer product modifications, such as childproof caps on medicine and pool covers, have reduced injuries and saved lives and a product as inherently dangerous as a handgun should have similar owner-authorized capabilities. Personalized handguns could significantly reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

Wonder if Arrrnaaaaahhhhhlllld will sign this one as well?

Didn't get any alerts on this one.

Damn, I'm so glad I bailed, and if that means I'm a coward, the I'm as yellow as Big Bird. We're trying to pass a bill for college students to CCW on campus here.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

bohoki
04-03-2008, 6:41 PM
shucks i was hoping they were having a sale on ammo

Decoligny
04-03-2008, 6:42 PM
AB 2235 (DeSaulnier) - Owner-Authorized Handguns
Intentional and unintentional shootings could be greatly reduced if a child, teen, thief, or criminal were unable to operate a handgun. AB 2235 requires new handguns to have biometric technology, such as fingerprint recognition, whereby only an authorized user can fire the gun. This requirement on all handguns manufactured or sold in California would take effect eighteen months after owner-authorized handguns are available for retail sale.

Consumer product modifications, such as childproof caps on medicine and pool covers, have reduced injuries and saved lives and a product as inherently dangerous as a handgun should have similar owner-authorized capabilities. Personalized handguns could significantly reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

I can see it now. You go to pick up you weapon because some scumbag just broke into your house. You grab the gun. The little chip starts to process the infromation. (Voice from StarTrek computer) "WORKING, WORKING".
15 seconds later it identifies you as an authorized user just as the bad guy hits you with a crowbar.

snobordr
04-03-2008, 7:47 PM
AB 2235, requires new handguns to have fingerprint or grip recognition so that only an authorized user can fire the gun. "Owner Authorized" handguns will help reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

Are they truly daft enough to believe this line of BS? I doubt it, but they sure are banking on the fact that joe and jane public are. Congratulations to the sheeple, you are now perceived as easy prey for the spread of FUD. Good to know those looking out for you hold you in such high regard.

Patriot
04-03-2008, 7:49 PM
I just got this:

Thanks to thousands of your emails and calls last year, Gov. Schwarzenegger signed into law the groundbreaking Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007. Using "microstamping" technology, the law will give law enforcement an important new tool to solve gun crimes and apprehend gun-toting criminals.

Building on this momentum, we are back again with two new proposals that will change the way handguns and bullets are sold in our state. Starting next week, we will have actions you can take to help pass these important bills.

Consumer product modifications, such as pool covers and childproof caps on medicine bottles, have reduced injuries and saved lives. We should expect the same level of safety on handguns. AB 2235, requires new handguns to have fingerprint or grip recognition so that only an authorized user can fire the gun. "Owner Authorized" handguns will help reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

I must be missing the rash of biometric pool covers

Katana
04-03-2008, 8:55 PM
I just got this:

...Consumer product modifications, such as...childproof caps on medicine bottles, have reduced injuries and saved lives. We should expect the same level of safety on handguns. AB 2235, requires new handguns to have fingerprint or grip recognition so that only an authorized user can fire the gun. "Owner Authorized" handguns will help reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Kopel1.htm

"Federal laws requiring "childproof" safety caps for analgesics such as Tylenol have apparently led to an increase in child poisonings. Lulled by the presence of the federally-required safety device on medicine bottles, many adults have been leaving dangerous medicines within easy reach of children. These "childproof" caps are merely child-resistant...With firearms, the consequences of the lulling effect will be much deadlier than with medicine caps...If the government claims that a gun is "childproof" because it has some device that the government mandated then firearms safety training will be severely undermined. If the gun is "childproof," then many parents will be less cautious with regard to firearm-safety rules and allow their children to be careless. For example, parents and children alike might point the gun in a dangerous direction, put a finger on the trigger even when not ready to shoot, or store the gun loaded, even when the gun is used only for sporting purposes. These behaviors might not cause harm as long as the "childproof" devices work properly. What happens, though, when these adults and children conditioned to ignore gun safety rules come across a gun that does not have one of these devices?"

JayRuff
04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
if a criminal can obtain a illegal handgun, he can obtain illegal ammo

Kruzr
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
If they are going to legislate new technology that doesn't commercially exist, I wish they would require that cars must fly at least 10 feet off the ground so I can get one. Think of all the accidents on the streets that could be avoided. ;)

(Wonder if these guns take AA or watch batteries or if they have solar cells on the top of the slides.)

jumbopanda
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
If they are going to legislate new technology that doesn't commercially exist, I wish they would require that cars must fly at least 10 feet off the ground so I can get one. Think of all the accidents on the streets that could be avoided. ;)

(Wonder if these guns take AA or watch batteries or if they have solar cells on the top of the slides.)

+10000

But then again, they want all guns to be banned anyway, so this seems like the easiest way to do it.

CrippledPidgeon
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
if a criminal can obtain a illegal handgun, he can obtain illegal ammo

Since when has logic ever stopped them?

And it's just as hard for me to buy ammo as it is to buy spray paint, alcohol, or cigarettes. They card me. Oh dear. That was tough.

cadurand
04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I can see it now. You go to pick up you weapon because some scumbag just broke into your house. You grab the gun. The little chip starts to process the infromation. (Voice from StarTrek computer) "WORKING, WORKING".
15 seconds later it identifies you as an authorized user just as the bad guy hits you with a crowbar.Or instead of a crowbar the badguy will have a pistol without "the little chip" and shoot you dead. Funny how the rules don't apply to the bad guys and only screw the good guys.

Well actually it's not funny,it's sad.

chris
04-04-2008, 2:58 PM
Yea, I just got mine,

http://www.bradycampaign.org/chapters/california/

Wonder if Arrrnaaaaahhhhhlllld will sign this one as well?

Didn't get any alerts on this one.

Damn, I'm so glad I bailed, and if that means I'm a coward, the I'm as yellow as Big Bird. We're trying to pass a bill for college students to CCW on campus here.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

they are allready signed sealed and are law allready with him in office. and GOC and CRPA will help them pass it.

mark my words this state WILL BE THE FIRST TOTAL BAN ON FIREARMS OWNERSHIP PERIOD! it will happen no matter how many letters we write, calls we make, e-mails we send they will do it no matter what the HELLER decision is. this state will never follow any judicial precedent.

they ignored us last year what makes you think they will listen to us this year or any other year.

bulgron
04-04-2008, 3:16 PM
they are allready signed sealed and are law allready with him in office. and GOC and CRPA will help them pass it.

mark my words this state WILL BE THE FIRST TOTAL BAN ON FIREARMS OWNERSHIP PERIOD! it will happen no matter how many letters we write, calls we make, e-mails we send they will do it no matter what the HELLER decision is. this state will never follow any judicial precedent.

they ignored us last year what makes you think they will listen to us this year or any other year.

It's never going to happen. Total bans are going to be declared unconstitutional. Just wait until June or thereabouts.

As for "they" will never listen to us, that's true only if we don't act in a united fashion to unelect the bad politicians and replace them with gun-friendly politicians. We only have to do this once or twice before the rest of them realize that voting against gun rights is bad for their political careers.

Or you can just stand around wringing your hands, convinced the sky is falling and there's nothing you can do about it. It's the best way to guarantee the result that you describe above.

I don't recommend it, though.