PDA

View Full Version : Question about registering of guns

PseudoJD
03-26-2008, 1:04 AM
So I really don't understand what 'registered gun' means. I live in California if that makes it any different. I bought a rifle just a few years ago in CA, is it / was it registered when i bought it? or is it unregistered? I want to pick up some more unregistered rifles and am wondering if it's the same if i do it out of state or in state. My goal in all this is to get some unregistered "off list" AR lower's. In a secondary question, which "off list" lower is the best? Thanks a lot for your time, if your answers line up in my favor I would be happy to get them through your store. Thanks again.

JD

StraightShooter
03-26-2008, 1:45 AM
Long guns are not registered when you buy them. You fill out the DROS (dealers record of sale) and they do a background check to make sure you arent prohibited from owning guns. That info is not kept in any database linking you to the rifle you purchased. For handguns it is completely different. You still fill out the DROS but the handgun is actually registered in your name and there is a record kept of it. An OLL is just the same as a regular rifle (long gun) and it isnt registered when you purchase it. The only time you would have a registered long gun would be if it were a listed AW or some otehr banned gun like a gun chambered in 50 bmg. Some people legally own these guns because they registered them before they were banned. You cannot get them registered now if you didnt back then. Just to simplify things, you can buy as many OLL's as you want and build them into legally configures rifles without having to register any of them. Good luck, I hope I answered all your questions.

Also, almost any lower will be just fine. There is hardly any difference between lowers and they should all me made to the same spec. Some are cast and some are forged and people all have their preferences but the main thing you want to worry about is the quality of the upper because that is where precision, quality, and reliability is paramount. Dont blow a bunch on money on an expensive lower. Take that money and put it into a good upper.

PseudoJD
03-26-2008, 8:56 AM
Excellent. Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. It is much appreciated.

JD

lbdrummer3
03-26-2008, 9:50 PM
Unfortunately the sentence below should be followed by "yet"... BTW DD's is a class act operation, deal with confidence.

Just to simplify things, you can buy as many OLL's as you want and build them into legally configures rifles without having to register any of them.

bohoki
03-26-2008, 11:28 PM
its a bit of an oxymoron since its not really the gun thats registered its the owner