View Full Version : CCW Permit not honored at Oaktree?

05-04-2014, 10:53 PM
I have attempted to get some resolution to this matter privately with Oaktree, but was never given a response after being assured that they were "looking into it" on multiple occasions. So now I'm going to ask publicly and maybe get a response here.

After spending about 2 hours on your pistol range I had finished packing up my gear and as usual I placed my loaded LCP into its pocket holster and proceeded to put it into my back pocket while standing at the firing line. Your range master saw me do it and asked me if I was law enforcement. I told him no and that I was a CCW holder. At that point he pretty much lost his **** and told me that it didn't matter that I had a CCW and that I was on private property and couldn't be “slinging iron” on the property. I removed my pocket holster and placed it back on the shooting bay table. At no time did I ever shoot from a holster, nor would I outside of a training range. (assuming that's what he meant by slinging iron) He told me that I could re-load and holster the pistol once I left the property, but not before. I asked him if rules about CCW were posted anywhere on the property, or on the website and he said he didn’t know.

I pride myself on safe handling of guns and following the rules. However I saw no mention of CCW or holstered weapons on your website or in your waivers. So do you have an official stance on CCW or was i dealing with an over zealous rangemaster?

05-04-2014, 11:00 PM

05-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Most ranges and gun shops want no loaded guns outside of the firing line.
If you have ever work in a gun shop you would see some of the very stupid stuff that happens.
Guys pulling out a loaded gun and trying it in holsters, taking a loaded gun out and putting it on the counter and on and on.
I am not saying you would have done or would do any of these things but you have to make the rules to try and stop the truly stupid out there.
Rules like this used to really upset me. Working on the other side of the counter cured me of that really quickly.
Cops are no better about this but they always seem to get a pass on the rules.

05-05-2014, 7:20 AM
If they don't allow holstered carry for CCW holders they should post it prominently, the gunshops that I frequent don't have rules against CCW but I understand (I've never been there and just know them from their reputation here) that Oaktree are a bunch of tools.

05-09-2014, 6:10 PM
Oak Tree Gun Club does honor CCW holders. Please be prepared to provide it if asked.

05-09-2014, 7:34 PM
Oak Tree Gun Club does honor CCW holders. Please be prepared to provide it if asked.

Do your employes know this?

Mayor McRifle
05-09-2014, 7:54 PM

Are radio-controlled watches required?

far from tactical
05-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Go pound sand and none of ur bees wax?

05-10-2014, 5:17 AM
My local range's view is "concealed is concealed" - they totally support CCW, no signage or rules to the contrary. If someone plans to shoot their carry piece, un-conceal & unload before walking into the range house or onto the public firing line. Otherwise, they would not meet the "concealed is concealed" thing the moment they access their CCW.

They do have a sign on the exit road reminding LEO/CCW to reload. :)

I always carry, including at the range, yet do not practice with the piece I'm carrying that day as I don't like to be even momentarily disarmed. Our range has reserveable action ranges for when folks want to drill from holsters, etc.

05-10-2014, 5:40 AM
It's funny how some ranges and gun shows don't allow CCW. We expect the general public to trust us to be safe with guns, but we don't trust each other.

05-23-2014, 10:12 PM

Why would they be required to show their CCW?

05-24-2014, 9:53 AM
Jasonaspears, Good question, while at the range no one is permitted to walk around with a firearm in a holster and not in a case. LEO's and CCW holders are exempt. If a Safety Officer or range employee notices someone that is carrying a firearm in a holster on their person, they will stop and ask that individual for either their LE credentials or their CCW Permit. If they do not have either, then they must remove the firearm from their holster and put into a case (unloaded of course). I hope this answers your question.