PDA

View Full Version : USAT: Cops responsible for holes in FBI warrants database

strongpoint
04-29-2014, 9:15 AM
I searched a few different ways and still didn't see this posted, to my mild surprise. The irony in this one is about as deep as it gets. From 4/23:

USA Today: Gun checks miss millions of fugitives

WASHINGTON — Millions of fugitives can pass undetected through federal background checks and buy guns illegally because police departments across the country routinely fail to put their names into a national database that tracks people on the run from the law.
Yet despite years of attempts to shore up the government's National Instant Background Check System, enormous gaps remain, particularly when it comes to identifying fugitives. In five states alone, law enforcement agencies failed to provide information to the FBI about at least 2.5 million outstanding arrest warrants, police and court records show. Among them are tens of thousands of people wanted for violent offenses and other felonies.
The gaps are largely a byproduct of the fact that police and prosecutors are often unwilling to spend the time or money to pursue fugitives across a state border. The FBI fugitive database is built to help police find people once they leave the state, and many agencies see no reason to include the names of fugitives they have no intention of pursuing.

Can someone explain to me again how the U.S. will be so much safer if universal background checks are enacted?

Full story here (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/22/fugitives-gun-background-checks/7959529/).

arrix
04-29-2014, 5:50 PM
Call me crazy but the less the Feds know, the better.

Neanderthal
04-30-2014, 7:04 AM
Call me crazy but the less the Feds know, the better.

You might find issue with a massive data base in Utah then.

coryhenry
04-30-2014, 8:04 AM
Its always the same problem with data, garbage in...garbage out. This includes leaving out data that may have significant implications on results.