View Full Version : putting together an AK

03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I would like to put together an AK from a complete receiver. Is this all I would need?

03-20-2008, 12:24 PM
part wise, pretty much... just make sure you get your 922 compliance parts and your Cali-Legal parts for however you want to set it up. Be sure to have them switch out that mag, as that would be importing a new hicap.

As far as tools, that another story!

03-20-2008, 1:35 PM
Just be warned that this kit looks like the barrel has not been drilled for the gas system. Most of the Yugo kits were either imported with shot-out or no barrels, and so American made barrels (brand-new) are included with the kits.

If you're planning on building the kit yourself, and are unfamiliar with how to mount the gas block and drill out the hole, then I would caution you against buying it. However, if you're planning on sending the kit out for a build from a seasoned AK builder, then GO FOR IT.

If you're new, then starting with a Romanian AK kit is still the right way to go for a build. These kits are getting scarce, but can be found for $140 to $160... or so. They also have the advantage of not being shot all that much and have chrome-lined bores.

Good luck! :)