PDA

View Full Version : I want an Ak74...

natedogg1777
03-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Basically, I just want to buy one that is of good quality. I do not want to build one, and the WASRs seem to be a little sub-par. Who makes one that is available in CA besides the ones for sale by Atlantic Firearms? I'm thinking anywhere in the $400 to $600 range. Thanks!

ghost
03-19-2008, 11:23 PM
check out: http://ohiorapidfire.com/

Addax
03-20-2008, 1:08 AM
+1 on Ohio Rapid Fire, or you can also check in with Henderson Defense.

Make sure that the 74 you are going to purchase is built using a Bulgarian kit and has the necessary 922r compliant parts.

You are making a very excellent choice in picking up a 74!

Good Luck

natedogg1777
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the recommendations! I did not see a price on the Henderson Defense offering...do you know what they run? I'm hoping to not exceed $600 so I can still afford to buy some of that lovely cheap surplus ammo!

Another question - should I consider the WASR after all? I don't mind refinishing the wood...how easy is it to install the oh-so-cool looking muzzle break I see on '74s and do the ones that DD's Ranch sells accept regular '74 mags? Thanks again!

fourZero
03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Basically, I just want to buy one that is of good quality. I do not want to build one, and the WASRs seem to be a little sub-par. Who makes one that is available in CA besides the ones for sale by Atlantic Firearms? I'm thinking anywhere in the $400 to $600 range. Thanks!

Atlantic is no help:

Sorry we can not help you with this

In a message dated 3/18/2008 5:32:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, john.fordham@gmail.com writes:

I am looking to get either a Bulgarian or Russian AK-47 built to 18 USC 922 specs, and have it CA legal. I have a multitude of pre-ban hicap magazines, so I am not interested in a bullet-button build. I would like to go with a "featureless" build, utilizing a muzzle brake (instead of flash hider) and a MonsterMan grip instead of the pistol grip.

Henderson has no email address, I guess I will call them. Metroshot was going to import one for me but declined after the pawn shop raid recently.

FEDUPWBS
03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
. Metroshot was going to import one for me but declined after the pawn shop raid recently.

Cowards! They didnt have any problem taking your money till RSO illegally took BSPs guns. Then ran scared. If anything they should be making a fat donation to CGF for the benefit of themselves BSP and our rights!

fourZero
03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi John, sorry but we are not building Cali compliant AK's,
Mark @
WWW.UberArms.com

Strike 2..

Pryde
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
5.45 AKs have completely dried up.

If you do not have one now, you have probably missed the boat.

Ohio Rapid Fire is sold out and the 5.45 WASRs are selling for twice what they were going for last year.

supersonic
03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Another question - should I consider the WASR after all? I don't mind refinishing the wood...how easy is it to install the oh-so-cool looking muzzle break I see on '74s and do the ones that DD's Ranch sells accept regular '74 mags? Thanks again!

Absolutely!!!!! I bought a WASR 10 and it was "rough" (to say the least) out of the box. After simple disassembly, cleaning of all metal parts/soaking in BreakFree overnight; refinishing wood (easy); replacing "shepherd's crook" wire w/ Tapco plate (simple); cutting off & replacing muzzle device (:sleeping:); and finally breaking it in (2-500 rds - lube after every 100) - the WASR will run flawlessly. Surprisingly accurate, too (7.62x39): so I would suspect even better from the 5.45!:) (It just won't have the explosive power on targets at closer range that it's heavier-caliber/bullet "big brother" does.)