PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9A1 finish durability?

Collector71
04-20-2014, 10:58 AM
I'd like to get one of these--I'd get an Inox except I want to be able to change out the front sight.

I've read various and mixed opinions about Bruniton, everything from it's durable, to it flakes and it's easy to scratch.

It'll be a HD pistol/range toy--what can I expect compared to a blued finish? Thanks for the insight.

beretta929mm
04-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Overall finish is not durable

The barrel is parkarized and is first to get scratched.

speedoguy
04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
The m9a1 doesn't have a replaceable front sight, you have to send it to a gunsmith to have the front sight drilled out. the 92a1 does have a replaceable front sight. That said, I'd take the m9a1 over the 92a1, just looks better in my opinion. I have about 1000 rounds though my m9a1, finish has held up well, i have 1 scratch on it. But i want more of a matte finish, so I'll going to have it cerakoted when i send it to tooltech to have the front sight drilled out for a trijicon.

You won't regret purchasing the m9a1, it's a beautiful piece of machinery. My favorite handgun by far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ricky808maui
04-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Good gun not too good finish mines all scratched up especially the barrel

saudadeii
04-20-2014, 2:09 PM
I'd like to get one of these--I'd get an Inox except I want to be able to change out the front sight.

That leaves the M9A1 out.

I have one with about 500 rounds through it. Still looks new. The mags show some wear by the release.

I put a light on it a few times just to impress myself. I did ding the finish on the edge of the rail.

At least, an INOX you can polish.

Collector71
04-20-2014, 3:41 PM
The m9a1 doesn't have a replaceable front sight, you have to send it to a gunsmith to have the front sight drilled out. the 92a1 does have a replaceable front sight. That said, I'd take the m9a1 over the 92a1, just looks better in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification. I got the model #s transposed.

speedoguy
04-20-2014, 4:21 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I got the model #s transposed.

I could be wrong, but i believe the 92a1 is actually based on the 90two platform, while the m9a1 is based on the m9/ 92fs platform

rogervzv
04-20-2014, 4:29 PM
The M9A1 is basically a 92FS with an accessory rail added. The finish is fine for a range gun. I do not holster mine so I don't know how it would hold up if it were holstered every day. I love the gun though. The sights on mine are right on the money at 10 yards, and the gun is superb in every way.

GunDog
04-20-2014, 4:49 PM
Here's a view of a Beretta 92FS that was used and holstered daily for many years by an LA County Deputy Sheriff.

Same gun cleaned up with new grip panels and grip screws...

Although the Parkerized finish on the bbl is wearing thin, the slide and frame are in reasonably good shape for a duty sidearm. Oh sure....there are a few nicks, dings, and scratches. I don't much worry about the finish and was pleasantly surprised to find that the pistol handles well and shoots with excellent accuracy. I bought it as a police trade-in.

usmcchet9296
04-20-2014, 4:49 PM
The m9a1 doesn't have a replaceable front sight, you have to send it to a gunsmith to have the front sight drilled out. the 92a1 does have a replaceable front sight. That said, I'd take the m9a1 over the 92a1, just looks better in my opinion. I have about 1000 rounds though my m9a1, finish has held up well, i have 1 scratch on it. But i want more of a matte finish, so I'll going to have it cerakoted when i send it to tooltech to have the front sight drilled out for a trijicon.

You won't regret purchasing the m9a1, it's a beautiful piece of machinery. My favorite handgun by far.

Couldn't agree more the M9A1 is a great pistol
fit and finish it great
will it wear yes as will any firearm
there is a site that will drill your front sight for a tritium insert http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/page20.html
I plan to do that with mine

Peter.Steele
04-20-2014, 5:00 PM
Although the Parkerized finish on the bbl is wearing thin, the slide and frame are in reasonably good shape for a duty sidearm. Oh sure....there are a few nicks, dings, and scratches. I don't much worry about the finish and was pleasantly surprised to find that the pistol handles well and shoots with excellent accuracy. I bought it as a police trade-in.

Yeah, that's about par for the course when it comes to any gun that rides in a holster a lot of the time. My 92FS looks about like that, too.