PDA

View Full Version : Wolf .223

Jarhead
03-19-2008, 7:38 PM
anyone shoot Wolf .223 in there ar-15's? any concerns?

aplinker
03-19-2008, 7:48 PM
If you want more info than I'm about to give, there are probably 1000 threads on Wolf...

Here's the quick summary, then my opinion.

Old wolf (green lacquer) had issues. Current versions run OK. The best description is, "If your AR can't run Wolf, there's something wrong with your AR." It's dirty, it's steel, but it's cheap. It also tends to use magnetic projectiles, if that matters. Some companies claim it's bad and they won't honor their warranty if it's used. Wolf is a pretty solid company and stands by their products.

Overall, it's not bad stuff. The idea that it can wear out parts (like the extractor) is possible... but and AR extractor runs $30, tops. If you save $3/box.... over 2k rounds, that's $300... I'd say you've done well.

The biggest issue is build-up. The steel doesn't expand and fouling builds up between the case and the chamber. If you then use brass, which does expand, it can stick to this build-up and cause FTEs.

I've run a bunch of it without any major issues. Had to be cleaner, etc. It's all magnetic now so I don't use it often. And I can get brass reloads for about $1/box more.

YMMV

Prowler
03-19-2008, 7:50 PM
Worked great in my Bushmaster. Not one failure and no corrosion. I don't want to use it in my JP Performance because that's for competition. I left my Bushmaster uncleaned for at least six months now, just to see if anything corroded. It looks fine, other than that I should clean it...

USN CHIEF
03-19-2008, 8:08 PM
"If your AR can't run Wolf, there's something wrong with your AR."

That sum's it up pretty much... Great. cheap, accurate ammo for plinking and for Zombies.

Josh3239
03-19-2008, 8:28 PM
Gets your rifle dirtier than any other ammo which is a pain but mind as well clean it anyway. What put the nail in the Wolf .223 coffin for me was when I had a real bad FTE issue. Haven't touched it since, haven't had a malfunction since.

Twinspool
03-19-2008, 8:31 PM
It makes smoke and loud noises. If you're shooting an SKS at an old Buick at 20 paces, it's the best crap out there.

edittman1
03-19-2008, 8:32 PM
Yes, find me it for $200 a case shipped please. :P

Fobjoe
03-19-2008, 8:38 PM
I use it in my Kel Tec SU-16 all day long...Those are fairly well known for being ammo finicky. I will muster up the courage to use wolf in the AR depending on replies to the thread.

Twinspool
03-19-2008, 8:39 PM
I saw pics of a guy who lost his DSA FAL to Wolf ammo. That was enough for me. YMMV.

Bucc
03-19-2008, 8:43 PM
It's good stuff generally as well as cheap.
I shot some with my SU-16 and waited to clean it 'til the next day.
There was a lovely orange coating in my bore the next day.
But just in the grooves for some reason.
I treat it as corrosive ever since but no failures yet.

aplinker
03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I saw pics of a guy who lost his DSA FAL to Wolf ammo. That was enough for me. YMMV.

KBs happen with even Hornady TAP LEO and Federal Gold Medal Match

1.) Wolf had a bad batch of 308
2.) They replaced all of that ammo, double
3.) all KB damaged rifles were compensated for

I forgot the biggest problem with Wolf: IT STINKS! It's very strong on the ammonia side.

Oswald2001
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I have shot about 10,000 rounds of steel cased Wolf. (9mm and .223)

NO PROBLEMS.

There is no undue wear and tear on chamber, extractor, ejector or anything else.

It is exactly what it was made to be: Plinking/Practice ammo

If steel cased Wolf doesn't work reliably in your pistol/rifle, you have a deficient pistol/rifle. Repair it or sell it.

I won't have a deficient pistol/rifle. All my pistols/rifles work 100% reliably with steel cased Wolf ammo.

AlexDeLand
03-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I bought 500 steel cased Wolf rounds for my .223, and after about the third range visit, a casing got stuck in the upper. I had to punch it out with my cleaning rod and thought nothing of it at the time, but then every subsequent visit to the range, it did the same thing, requiring me to punch the casing out. (Not good for the gun!).
At first I thought that the ammo was of bad quality and that it must be the Wolf steel casings, but after a very long thinking, I realized I was missing a part of the gun when cleaning. After cleaning this area that hadn't been cleaned for about 500 rounds, (by the way, it was ridiculously dirty!) the gun has never jammed since. If you are having problems with your gun jamming casings, then possibly you are not cleaning it completely.
Just a thought.

--
Alex DeLand

Bucc
03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
KBs happen with even Hornady TAP LEO and Federal Gold Medal Match

1.) Wolf had a bad batch of 308
2.) They replaced all of that ammo, double
3.) all KB damaged rifles were compensated for

I forgot the biggest problem with Wolf: IT STINKS! It's very strong on the ammonia side.

When was that?
I googled and found nothing, my google fu is weak tonight.
Is there a link? I have a bunch of .308.

Bishop
03-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Just fine for plinking. It's dirty and a little hot, but it still goes boom. But at 100 yards on a 1'x1' plate I was only hitting 1/3 average. Switched back to black hills, and hit every time. After that I decided I needed to stock something better than wolf for shtf ammo.

Nikola
03-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I bought 500 steel cased Wolf rounds for my .223, and after about the third range visit, a casing got stuck in the upper. I had to punch it out with my cleaning rod and thought nothing of it at the time, but then every subsequent visit to the range, it did the same thing, requiring me to punch the casing out. (Not good for the gun!).
At first I thought that the ammo was of bad quality and that it must be the Wolf steel casings, but after a very long thinking, I realized I was missing a part of the gun when cleaning. After cleaning this area that hadn't been cleaned for about 500 rounds, (by the way, it was ridiculously dirty!) the gun has never jammed since. If you are having problems with your gun jamming casings, then possibly you are not cleaning it completely.
Just a thought.

--
Alex DeLand

What did you miss?

1919A4
03-20-2008, 8:39 AM
We have not had any issues with wolf. Between all of my family members we have gone though about 6K over the last year. Was used in 223 and 7.62x39. Seems to be shooting ok. I am able to hit my 15"X15" gong at 400-500 yrds with the 223 with a 16" barrel.

motorhead
03-20-2008, 8:44 AM
i shoot aks and wolf is their primary diet. they get filthy, but hey they're aks. i clean with sweet's because you have to use a solvent that smells worse than your ammo.

AlexDeLand
03-28-2008, 1:05 AM
What did you miss?

I didn't have any que-tips so I wasn't getting the very hard to get to places clean, one of those being the deep end of the case housing. When I did clean it out, I actually got crusted residue that seemed to be caked on there to come out. NOT GOOD!

--
Alex DeLand

aplinker
03-28-2008, 1:15 AM
I didn't have any que-tips so I wasn't getting the very hard to get to places clean, one of those being the deep end of the case housing. When I did clean it out, I actually got crusted residue that seemed to be caked on there to come out. NOT GOOD!

--
Alex DeLand

Case housing = chamber? :confused:

Yeah, that's where it crusts up. The suggestion (and it's logical) is fouling gets "around" the outside of the steel casings, due to their lack of expansion, and sits between the casings and the chamber. This creates a gunky build-up that's tough to remove.

AlexDeLand
03-28-2008, 1:20 AM
Yeah, being inexperianced, I missed this part when I was cleaning. Lucky the worst consiquence was lodged casings.

pgatour
03-28-2008, 1:51 AM
I've shot about 1k rounds of wolf through my new AR (actually, that's the only thing that's gone through it), and so far no problems except a few FTE. I compared the rims on the wolf to other ammo, and it looks like sometimes the rims can be a little 'shallow' maybe causing the FTE.

As far as cleaning, this is more a question than a suggestion. I was told to clean my chamber with a quick spray of automotive brake cleaner after firing wolf to remove any carbon buildup. It seems to do a very decent job but I'm just wondering if there's any consequences to doing so. (The brake cleaner will 'dry up' the finish on your gun if you accidentally get it on the finish, but I always finish off my cleaning with a quick spray of CLP that restores the finish)