PDA

View Full Version : DPMS LPK

Eric_Oh
03-19-2008, 3:45 PM
Any comments on the quality of the DPMS brand LPK? I figure there isn't too much difference in basic LPK between different manufacturers.

Comments? Experience with these?

-hanko
03-19-2008, 3:52 PM
Any comments on the quality of the DPMS brand LPK? I figure there isn't too much difference in basic LPK between different manufacturers.

Comments? Experience with these?
There definitely isn't much difference, so it does boil down to personal opinion...

Mine would run Armalite, RRA, CMMG, DPMS, and everybody else. YMMV

Sources...best RRA deal is definitely http://www.ar15sales.com/; Pete has been selling parts before many parts sellers existed, his reputation is awesome. His pricing is unbeatable if you're looking for an RRA kit with their 2-stage trigger.

http://www.rbprecision.com/ does a nice job quoting turnkey lpk's where you can select your own internal parts, grip, buttstock, etc. from different makers.

hth

-hanko

MB260E
03-19-2008, 4:32 PM
I just used a DPMS LPK and so far everything has operated smoothly.

*knock on wood*

Jicko
03-19-2008, 4:34 PM
I would pick RRA's LPK over DPMS. There isn't much price difference (nothing more than a box of .223 ammo), but if you put them side by side, and look at them.... RRA's are just so much nicer than DPMS. RRA's are smoother and cleaner.... while DPMS is much rougher..... Stag seems to be somewhere in between...

aplinker
03-19-2008, 4:53 PM
I would pick RRA's LPK over DPMS. There isn't much price difference (nothing more than a box of .223 ammo), but if you put them side by side, and look at them.... RRA's are just so much nicer than DPMS. RRA's are smoother and cleaner.... while DPMS is much rougher..... Stag seems to be somewhere in between...

Agree, 100%.

My personal favorite is Armalite... their quality is top-notch on the LPKs and they have, by far, the coolest of the bolt releases.

drifts1
03-19-2008, 5:38 PM
hmmm, seems my trigger pull is cleaner and crisper on my DPMS LPK compared to my buddies RRA LPK. He agrees as well. These are single stage kits.

aplinker
03-19-2008, 5:43 PM
hmmm, seems my trigger pull is cleaner and crisper on my DPMS LPK compared to my buddies RRA LPK. He agrees as well. These are single stage kits.

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

PIRATE14
03-19-2008, 5:51 PM
Well we don't put together lowers by the ones or twos....nor by the hundreds but by the 1000's...

Hands down go w/ RRA or STAG.....

We do use DPMS but only if you ask......;)

Most guys that build lowers for us prefer only to use RRA.....

There are a lot differences......

Haven't seen this thread type in a few months......:chris:

Sydwaiz
03-19-2008, 6:07 PM
I like DPMS. Can't beat the value. Never had a problem with them.

J_Rock
03-19-2008, 6:11 PM
DPMS is hit or miss in quality.

drifts1
03-19-2008, 6:25 PM
"Well we don't put together lowers by the ones or twos....nor by the hundreds but by the 1000's..."

So long as MY one works, I'm happy.:D

aplinker
03-19-2008, 6:34 PM
"Well we don't put together lowers by the ones or twos....nor by the hundreds but by the 1000's..."

So long as MY one works, I'm happy.:D

:confused:

I guess you don't understand the point. :rolleyes:

I guess your statistical set of one is sufficient for an all-out recommendation?

His point was, no one who understands quality uses DPMS.

May I suggest a Kel-Tec SU-16?

pc_city
03-19-2008, 6:56 PM
I used a DPMS LPK on one of my first builds. The roll pins were a royal ***** to install. The mag catch stud came loose within a day. I replaced the mag catch with another DPMS part. It failed in the same manner. I replaced it with an Armalite mag catch ... no problems. My next 6 builds were with Armalite LPKs.

drifts1
03-19-2008, 7:02 PM
oh, I understood the point. But the OP requested any comments and I gave one. I was not trying to critique or belittle anyones elses comments and dont understand why so many on this board wish to do so to others. I have yet to involve myself in any pissing contest and dont plan on doing so today.

fairfaxjim
03-19-2008, 7:06 PM
I used a DPMS LPK on one of my first builds. The roll pins were a royal ***** to install. The mag catch stud came loose within a day. I replaced the mag catch with another DPMS part. It failed in the same manner. I replaced it with an Armalite mag catch ... no problems. My next 6 builds were with Armalite LPKs.

I too think their roll pins are hit or miss - I put three together using DPMS and found all of their roll pins were a bit out of spec. Also had trouble with trigger/hammer pins on one build.

Mr. Ed
03-19-2008, 7:13 PM
What do you all think of Bushmaster LPKs? Are they any good?

532Fastback
03-19-2008, 7:17 PM
My DPMS LPK is fine. I've only had the chance to shoot my rifle once though.

tenpercentfirearms
03-19-2008, 7:22 PM
With RRA and Stag being weeks out, I ordered 30 DPMS today from Midway. I will let you know how they turn out.

Based on Pirate14s taking me under his wing and raising me as if I were his own, I up to this point have never touched DPMS. Out of the Stag and RRA I will always choose the RRA. They are nice LPKs.

C.G.
03-19-2008, 9:31 PM
Agree, 100%.

My personal favorite is Armalite... their quality is top-notch on the LPKs and they have, by far, the coolest of the bolt releases.

Same here. I did have to get some DPMS LPKs when Armalite was out, Armalite is worth the extra ten dollars.

PIRATE14
03-20-2008, 8:07 AM
With RRA and Stag being weeks out, I ordered 30 DPMS today from Midway. I will let you know how they turn out.

Based on Pirate14s taking me under his wing and raising me as if I were his own, I up to this point have never touched DPMS. Out of the Stag and RRA I will always choose the RRA. They are nice LPKs.

It's gettin pretty bad for parts right now........we'll see how the rest of the year pans out.............

pc_city
03-20-2008, 9:40 AM
DSG Arms has Armalite LPKs with standard triggers in stock. http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=584

Hoop
03-20-2008, 9:55 AM
I've used DPMS, Olympic, and Stag kits. Stag are the nicest parts, DPMS the best value, and Olympic is %^%$#%^ing horrible.

Sydwaiz
03-21-2008, 1:13 PM
Just finished another build using DPMS LPK. Parts look good and everything went together smoothly.

mltrading
03-21-2008, 1:23 PM
Oh, not again. This topic has been discussed for 163846253498 times already.

The DPMS LPKs are good. They function very well on my ARs.:D

vf111
03-21-2008, 5:21 PM
One thing to bear in mind re: the DPMS LPK is the DPMS hammer will work w/ Colt or RRA 9mm uppers without having to buy a separate 9mm specific hammer like you would have to w/ other manufacturer's LPK's. Check out the following for more info.:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=108261

Turbinator
03-22-2008, 8:35 PM
One thing to bear in mind re: the DPMS LPK is the DPMS hammer will work w/ Colt or RRA 9mm uppers without having to buy a separate 9mm specific hammer like you would have to w/ other manufacturer's LPK's. Check out the following for more info.:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=108261

VERY good information - thanks - just to make sure I read the link and your post above correctly...

A standard out of the package 5.56 DPMS hammer *will* run with a 9mm upper without any problems?

Turby

bigkahuna04
03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
a buddy and I have put together our 13th lower receiver last night (no...it's not for us...we have friends that have gotten the OLL bug..and they just ask us to put it together for them).

we've used DPMS for every single build - no trouble with them. they all function fine. sometimes the roll pins are 'tight', but once in, we know that nothing will come loose.

RECCE556
03-23-2008, 2:46 AM
The problems I've seen with DPMS kits:

1) Missing parts
2) Bad quality finishes (and varied finished)
3) Low quality parts (some parts break)
4) Out of spec parts (T/H pins that don't fit, disconnectors that don't work, etc.)
5) Split pins, not ROLL pins (there is a difference)

I guess if saving $10 because you won't make rent or can't eat for that week makes a difference and if you don't mind gambling, then they're alright. :rolleyes:

Personally, I always get RRA parts kits. RRA is NOT the best AR company out there but their LPK's are top notch. I have yet to run into a single problem with them and outside of people like Pirate and Randall, I've probably fondle more LPK's than I'd like to admit.

MadRiverArms
03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Hmm, I ordered the "Highest Quality LPK" from the suggested source assuming it would be the RRA. The bag the parts came in is marked Stag.
So much for getting the highest quality LPK...:puke:

Here's the page I sellected from. I guess I should have looked around the site a bit more.

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html

Sources...best RRA deal is definitely http://www.ar15sales.com/; Pete has been selling parts before many parts sellers existed, his reputation is awesome. His pricing is unbeatable if you're looking for an RRA kit with their 2-stage trigger.

aplinker
03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Wow... it will be fine, but why would you order something that doesn't show who makes it? :confused: caveat emptor

That being said, they have great prices on uppers!

For $2 more you could've gotten an Armalite :p

Hmm, I ordered the "Highest Quality LPK" from the suggested source assuming it would be the RRA. The bag the parts came in is marked Stag.

Here's the page I sellected from. I guess I should have looked around the site a bit more.

tenpercentfirearms
03-28-2008, 6:56 AM

LOL. That is their way of getting around RRA Map pricing. However, it is also their way of sending you whatever they want when they run out. That is funny stuff.

Ok, back to the topic, I have now installed three DPMS LPKS and 1 CMMG. I do believe they are the same exact kits.

For those of you who claim the DPMS is a great LPK, then I would guess you have never built many of these rifles.

First, the roll pins suck. It takes so much more effort for me to get the trigger guard roll pin and sometimes even the bolt stop roll pin into the rifle. I have never experienced this with RRA and not even with Stag. That there made me not like these kits.

Second, the RRA kit is still superior to all of these because it comes stanard with the allan wrench/hex head pistol grip screw. That alone is worth any extra money for a LPK and should be reason enough for me to just start a new company policy of "We only install RRA LPKs in your build." However, it isn't that big of a deal, I just like the hex head.

Third, the trigger is very interesting. I can't figure out if I like it or not. I think the pull might actually be lighter and if I ever tried to find my trigger pull gauge I could figure it out sceintifically. However, it is almost like a two stage trigger. You can feel quite a bit of slack come out of it and the hammer moves quite a bit before it releases. Very interesting.

So to conclude, the DPMS and CMMG LPKs are not on the same quality as RRA. Well at least not the 3 DPMS And 1 CMMG I have installed so far. I think I am qualified to comment on the hundreds of RRA and Stag LPKs I have installed in the last two years.

Today, I might order some Armalite kits since some people on here are talking them up so much. I have to place another order because they said they were sending me a .308 upper and yesterday I opened the box and it was an M15! DOH!

aplinker
03-28-2008, 7:56 AM
This is what frustrates me so much about all the, "DPMS works for me," "I've never had a problem with M1S," "My Stag is the BEST!" comments...

If you've never tried others, you don't know the difference. I had done about a dozen RRA kits before I tried to put a DPMS in my buddy's rifle. What a freakin nightmare. Sucks that CMMG uses them, apparently, too.

I like the Armalite kits a lot. I really like their unique bolt release. At $66 from DSG you can't go wrong. It even comes with a nice little box for the parts and a very cool bolt release. You should try them for your own education anyways, Wes! I'm really curious about their 2-stage "tactical" trigger, though... at MSRP it's only $120 for the full kit. Would be interesting to find out how it is. I know their NM trigger is pretty much the equal of RRA.

I wonder if the CMMG trigger has an out of spec spring, if it feels that light...

For those of you who claim the DPMS is a great LPK, then I would guess you have never built many of these rifles.

First, the roll pins suck. It takes so much more effort for me to get the trigger guard roll pin and sometimes even the bolt stop roll pin into the rifle. I have never experienced this with RRA and not even with Stag. That there made me not like these kits.

Second, the RRA kit is still superior to all of these because it comes stanard with the allan wrench/hex head pistol grip screw. That alone is worth any extra money for a LPK and should be reason enough for me to just start a new company policy of "We only install RRA LPKs in your build." However, it isn't that big of a deal, I just like the hex head.

Third, the trigger is very interesting. I can't figure out if I like it or not. I think the pull might actually be lighter and if I ever tried to find my trigger pull gauge I could figure it out sceintifically. However, it is almost like a two stage trigger. You can feel quite a bit of slack come out of it and the hammer moves quite a bit before it releases. Very interesting.

PIRATE14
03-28-2008, 9:13 AM

So to conclude, the DPMS and CMMG LPKs are not on the same quality as RRA. Well at least not the 3 DPMS And 1 CMMG I have installed so far. I think I am qualified to comment on the hundreds of RRA and Stag LPKs I have installed in the last two years.

Today, I might order some Armalite kits since some people on here are talking them up so much. I have to place another order because they said they were sending me a .308 upper and yesterday I opened the box and it was an M15! DOH!

As usual......I speak the gospel......ur still in the apprentice stage, getting closer to qualification.......:D

I would say it takes an extra 5-10 minutes of time to install if you use a DPMS kit.....which might not seem like a lot but that's almost double of what it takes me to put a entire lower together.....and time is $$$$.

RRA kits are about to vaporize for awhile......so, it will be interesting to if we see more RRA lwrs and uppers arriving sooner....

redcliff
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I installed three dpms kits this week. 1 had a disconnector that needed a little fitting and the bolt catch roll pins are kind of a pain. However they do work fine and safely so it was just extra time spent. No biggie for me or my friends I was helping out, but I can see it would be a problem for mass production.

I took Uclaplinker's advice and orderred a couple Armalite kits last week. Looking forward to receiving them and seeing the difference on my next builds.

Unfortunately I'm all out of Lowers and the Nodak slick sided one's I want are out of stock till May.

aplinker
03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I installed three dpms kits this week. 1 had a disconnector that needed a little fitting and the bolt catch roll pins are kind of a pain. However they do work fine and safely so it was just extra time spent. No biggie for me or my friends I was helping out, but I can see it would be a problem for mass production.

I took Uclaplinker's advice and orderred a couple Armalite kits last week. Looking forward to receiving them and seeing the difference on my next builds.

Unfortunately I'm all out of Lowers and the Nodak slick sided one's I want are out of stock till May.

:nono: I'm afraid I'm going to have to revoke your Calguns card. No self-respecting member ever allows himself to "run out of" lowers.

;)

redcliff
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Being up North in Redding, it's a bit harder to get lowers than just walk in to one of the cool shops you have down south and buy what you want :(

There are only two dealers up here that I know of that sell OLL's, and one stocks Vulcan :eek:, but both will special order.

Can I keep my Calguns card if I tell you that my last build was on a Calguns logo receiver from Centermass, one of the 100 made? :)

aplinker
03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
ha ha... I don't have the authority to take your Calguns card... come on, you're a better "rights protector" than that! Don't let anyone take anything from you :p

Sounds like you guys are stuck with some intimidated FFLs... I LOVE Redding & surroundings. I'd move there in an instant.

Being up North in Reding, it's a bit harder to get lowers than just walk in to one of the cool shops you have down south and buy what you want :(

There are only two dealers up here that I know of that sell OLL's, and one stocks Vulcan :eek:, but both will special order.

Can I keep my Calguns card if I tell you that my last build was on a Calguns logo receiver from Centermass, one of the 100 made? :)

Addax
03-28-2008, 5:22 PM
I have installed 4 DPMS LPK's and

One of my AR lowers has a DPMS kit in it and it has worked fine with over 3000 rounds, no pin walking or anything breaking etc.

I have installed Stag and RRA in my other lowers (to try them out) and they work fine.

DPMS LPK's are ok, they are not horribly crappy or anything like that from my experience, but I have only used 4 of their kits.

I have not tried out Armalite, but I will check it out.

mecam
04-18-2008, 9:51 PM
I have Stag, RRA, & CMMG LPKs. The CMMG's roll pins were tighter than the other two. Other than that, they all feel the same.

redcliff
04-18-2008, 10:07 PM
+1 for the Armalite kits. I love the little boxes.. gonna put another lower together this weekend. Thanks again for the tip Uclaplinker!

aplinker
04-18-2008, 10:22 PM
+1 for the Armalite kits. I love the little boxes.. gonna put another lower together this weekend. Thanks again for the tip Uclaplinker!

Good roll pins, great parts, nice little packaging... I love their bolt release, too.

At $68 from DSG you can't beat them.

You can get a "green" kit from Armalite, too. They're running out of parts quickly, though!

http://dsgarms.com/images/products/EMK014wtmk.jpg

trinydex
04-22-2008, 6:58 PM
what does everyone do with the nasty grip that comes with parts kits? i hardly ever see them in pics on calguns... they must go somewhere?!

aplinker
04-22-2008, 11:23 PM
what does everyone do with the nasty grip that comes with parts kits? i hardly ever see them in pics on calguns... they must go somewhere?!

They keep those unmatched socks and green followers company.

trinydex
04-22-2008, 11:53 PM
hahaha, there's really no other use huh?

J_Rock
04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Whats so great about the bolt release?

ar15barrels
04-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Whats so great about the bolt release?

It's "ribbed for her pleasure". ;)

SFFRONTMAN
04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Good call on the armalite kits uclaplinker, just ordered two for my new lowers. My only experience is with RRA,DMPS, and Stag. The only complaint I have is that the Stag/DPMSn roll pins were a bit tighter, but not terrible. The best was the RRA with the NM 2 stage, and it is still my favorite build.

J_Rock
04-23-2008, 12:22 AM
I prefer LMT LPKs. I tend to choose basic LPK with no grip or trigger to make it a bit cheaper since I usually replace them anyway

ar15barrels
04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I prefer LMT LPKs. I tend to choose basic LPK with no grip or trigger to make it a bit cheaper since I usually replace them anyway

Armalite offers one without fire control parts.

pc_city
04-23-2008, 7:32 AM
I just threw out a safety selector from a DPMS LPK I bought in January 2006. I have tried to install it in 9 lowers with no success.

beast556
04-23-2008, 8:15 AM
All of the DPMS kits I have used have been top notch. I've use quite a few of them. I like the hammer if you have the un shrouded bolt it tends keep the retaining pin in better shape.