PDA

View Full Version : Information on good ammunition?

jakeboyjim
03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Good morning, Im new here. Its day 7 of my 10 day waiting period, and I am getting really excited about picking up my two new rifles on Friday. I will be picking up an Enfield MkIII and a .308 converted Garand. All the [little amount of] shooting I have done involved old shotguns, so these will be quite a step up for me. So my question is what ammunition should I use? Here are my thoughts
-- I dont want to trash my rifles
-- Corrosive is bad, mkay?
-- Im not a sharpshooter, and wont be trying to hit anything on the 400 meter range. Id be surprised if I can hit the 50m mark at first.
-- I would like to be able to afford to shoot my rifles so expensive ammo is out. Cheap is certainly better
-- Surplus is OK
-- I am in the Bay Area, so local is good. I would like to go shooting this weekend.

Any thoughts on a particular brand, and location to purchase, some .303 and .308 ammunition? For those in the know, is there anything else I should be getting before I leave the store? Thanks in advance for any information

aplinker
03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, my friend, you certainly picked some very nice, nostalgic rifles... unfortunately, you also bought big bore guns at a time when ammo prices are through the roof.

I don't shoot the british (that statement sounds funny), so I can't help there.

You will have a hard time locating .308 for less than $0.60/rd. Things are bottoming out at about 1/2 dollar and it takes effort. The surplus has all but disappeared. The two you still see, on occasion, are South African and Aussie, but those still creep about the 1/2 dollar mark and then some. The cheapest new manufacture stuff out there is American Eagle 308. Now, if you have the ability to use bullets that attract a magnet (bi-metal jackets or steel core), this opens the possibility of using things like Silver Bear and Wolf - which can get you down under 40cents.

Online is about your best bet. Norcal has a couple locations that have decent prices, but I can't recall the name of the 2 places people bring up that don't ammo gouge.

This has updated info on pricing of .223, but the suppliers are all the same.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=318515

caldude
03-19-2008, 1:27 PM
If you shop online, try Grafs & Sons. While the pricing may seem a little higher than other sites, their pricing includes shipping, which can get quite high for ammo. Usually places that sell C&R guns sell ammo also, try Samco, J&G Sales, SOG, or others.

For the Enfield, I just purchased some Privi .303 from Grafs, and have some surplus British ammo coming from Samco. Stay away from POF (Pakistani) .303 if you can.

jakeboyjim
03-20-2008, 5:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and purchased two boxes of Pvri .303 and a box each of Prvi .308 and Winchester .308. i checked out Grafs &Sons, and it looks like they did not include shipping in the price -- they add on another 4.50+ for each item ordered.

motorhead
03-20-2008, 8:26 AM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php
you'll probably wish your m1 was still .30-06 as there is cheap greek surplus right now. .303 and .308 are pricy.

jakeboyjim
03-20-2008, 8:36 AM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php
you'll probably wish your m1 was still .30-06 as there is cheap greek surplus right now. .303 and .308 are pricy.

I was actually considering buying that ammo now, getting the rifle later. I only hesitate because I do not know if the CMP still sells 30-06. I am hoping to go get "certified" this weekend at a local club so I can buy from them direct.

jgaffney
03-27-2008, 2:38 PM
CMP has the Greek 30-06 in stock. I bought a case of it - 200 rounds in boxes for $120. Works out to about $0.28 per round.

jgaffney
03-27-2008, 4:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and purchased two boxes of Pvri .303 and a box each of Prvi .308 and Winchester .308. i checked out Grafs &Sons, and it looks like they did not include shipping in the price -- they add on another 4.50+ for each item ordered.Graf adds a flat $4.50 per order for handling. The rest of the shipping is on them. If you're ordering a bunch of ammo, that can make a substantial difference.

BTW, Graf is also a steady supply of odd ball calibers at good prices. For instance, they have the 7mm Jap ammo for my Arisaka for $20/box. Try finding that somewhere else!

aplinker
03-27-2008, 7:34 PM
CMP has the Greek 30-06 in stock. I bought a case of it - 200 rounds in boxes for $120. Works out to about $0.28 per round.

That must be the new math because $120/200 definitely isn't 28cents.

Sorry to dash your delusion, if that's really the price. ;) You're shooting about $0.55/round.

Mssr. Elegant
03-27-2008, 7:47 PM
That must be the new math because $120/200 definitely isn't 28cents.

Sorry to dash your delusion, if that's really the price. ;) You're shooting about $0.55/round.

If he got it from the CMP for close to $120 and in 20 round boxes then he probably got the 480 round case for $127 delivered. He probably just remembered wrong.