PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS ABOUT ar PARTS WHERE TO GET?

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
can anybody that has built an oll

point me to some websites where they recommend upper halfs.

trigger kits and butt stocks?

looking for good customer service,

and easy communication and prompt shipping?

also im looking at 22lr uppers who makes the best kits?

thanks

DedEye
03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
www.tenpercentfirearms.com
www.coldwarshooters.com
www.riflegear.com

They all support the board; support them in return.

As for .22 uppers, www.spikestactical.com is the best choice.

USN CHIEF
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
www.tenpercentfirearms.com
www.coldwarshooters.com
www.riflegear.com

They all support the board; support them in return.

As for .22 uppers, www.spikestactical.com is the best choice.

There is your answer you need not look any further...

Jicko
03-19-2008, 12:52 PM

looking for good customer service,

and easy communication and prompt shipping?

also im looking at 22lr uppers who makes the best kits?

thanks

Man... :xeno:

And maybe.... read up / study up / do your homework.... and here is a "newbie thread"....

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
IVE BEEN studying and reading about ars on here and ar15 for the last 3 weeks non stop dude.

i am asking for peoples opinion and who they like that they have delt with,

why cant some one just ask for opinions?

saelee23
03-19-2008, 1:04 PM
IVE BEEN studying and reading about ars on here and ar15 for the last 3 weeks non stop dude.

i'm in the same boat your in

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 1:24 PM
also i think you are mis reading my post.

im not asking for people to tell me how to build one or whats legal and whats not, im very familiar with all the ramifcations.

what i want are peoples opionons on who to order online from.

aplinker
03-19-2008, 1:26 PM
You can, but understand... in the past 2 days 11 different people have asked exactly the same question... "What parts should I use and where should I get them?"

here are just a few samplings:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=92037
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91916
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=92134
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=90740
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91792

And those are just the ones that are still on the front page. You didn't ask anything different from the same exact questions that are asked constantly.

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 1:37 PM
so anyways those that have built ars recently

im looking at spikes tactical for my 22lr build

and either rra or oly dpms for a 223.

im really concerned with having a vendor that is available and does it full time as a business not a part time vendor.

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 1:38 PM
dedeye usn cheif thanks for the advise ill take a look at those guys as well!

viras
03-19-2008, 1:41 PM
also i think you are mis reading my post.

im not asking for people to tell me how to build one or whats legal and whats not, im very familiar with all the ramifcations.

what i want are peoples opionons on who to order online from.

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am with the folks over at Spikes Tactical. They are awesome to deal with, especially Angela. I ordered a complete (custom) upper assembly from them and it was at my door 6 days later. After inspection of my package, 1 of the custom pieces I had ordered was missing. I contacted them and they replied right away, and got the missing part to me within 1 week. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I've also had great experiences with Metroshot Firearms and LAN World Inc for smaller parts and items such as magazines, BB's, grips, etc. Chris at LAN World is a great guy and strives to please - I had to e-mail him once to find out when an item was being delivered, and he responded right away. I don't know who I dealt with at Metroshot, but the stuff I ordered arrived so quickly, I didn't even need to call.

I've also had a great experience with DD's Ranch (ddsranch.com) when I ordered my Saiga .308 from them. Immediate shipment, no hassles, great store.

I've also had great experiences with cheaperthandirt.com, however I no longer support them because they don't send certain items to California. When I ordered from them originally, I didn't know that... luckily, I had ordered stuff that wasn't on their California no-no list.

I still have to try riflegear.com, tenpercentfirearms.com, and coldwarshooters.com.

DedEye
03-19-2008, 2:15 PM
so anyways those that have built ars recently

im looking at spikes tactical for my 22lr build

and either rra or oly dpms for a 223.

im really concerned with having a vendor that is available and does it full time as a business not a part time vendor.

Get the Spike's .22 for your .22 build; best rimfire upper out there.

Skip the Olympic uppers, and skip DPMS (I have one, it works great, but you can do better for not much more $).

RRA is decent, but you should also consider CMMG or LMT.

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 2:43 PM
these are the exact replies i was looking for! thanks so much! i will be ordering from spikes soon just wanted some feedback from people who bought online!

pbrand
03-19-2008, 2:53 PM
Man... :xeno:

And maybe.... read up / study up / do your homework.... and here is a "newbie thread"....

I know everybody likes to use the infamous "Use the search button", but how about just being curtious and helpful by answering the mans question?

I get tired of people bashing new comers when I myself would have been asking the same questions had I not personally known people.

aplinker
03-19-2008, 3:49 PM
I know everybody likes to use the infamous "Use the search button", but how about just being curtious and helpful by answering the mans question?

I get tired of people bashing new comers when I myself would have been asking the same questions had I not personally known people.

In those 5 threads I posted were questions nearly identical to his and answers that were more than helpful from others and myself. If he's incapable or too lazy to click links and read other threads where the same exact information he's seeking is laid out, then why does he expect others to give their time to answer his questions?

-hanko
03-19-2008, 4:00 PM

No one's yet bashed a new comer...

Try this... http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=2. You definitely also need to check the calguns.net vendors;)

Good or bad, you'll have to do a little homework to find what's in stock at the best price. The ability to take VISA or MC tells me the vendor is (theoretically)financially stable; more importantly I also know I have recourse if the item is wrong or never gets to me.

I definitely prefer sellers who bill my card WHEN THE STUFF IS SHIPPED:D

hth

-hanko

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 4:20 PM
ucla,

is it your job to scold the newbies and call us lazy?

your attitude simply makes me not want to post at all. this forum has thousands of threads and ive done countless searches but didnt find anything that helped me out.

tell u what, why dont you just not reply to my posts since im "LAZY" as you put it,

do you have nothing better to do then scorn new users to this site?

thats not going to help it grow you know.

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 4:23 PM
ded eye, who is LMT?

hanko, thanks for the help! dang theirs alot of options im just looking in my bookmarks and its getting overwhelming.

-hanko
03-19-2008, 4:30 PM
ded eye, who is LMT?
Lewis Machine and Tool...they make nice stuff:rolleyes:

Not saying you're, as you put it, Lazy...

But...try typing LMT onto the Google search box. Obviously, your first hit is not germane. So check the 2nd hit...;)

If you're looking for a real time listing of who has what parts in stock and at what price, you not gonna' get it on this forum. Put your desired parts onto an .xls file, start looking at prices.

ALL of us here have done a ton or 3 of reading off this forum; that's the only way you'll get conversant with your hobby. To acquire some expertise (and save money) there is some effort required.

sanddragon, I feel for ya...I'll also give you homework in re-doing your favorites list...you might try folders for sights, barrels, lowers, grips, etc. I'll guarantee unless you organize stuff you'll go crazy real fast. amhik

-hanko

sanddragon2004
03-19-2008, 4:43 PM
seriously!

you could build 5000 different configurations of these suckers!

i must say im digging the 22LR kits the most right now with being able to go and shoot hundreds of rounds for dirt cheap sure sounds like a fun build to me.

elSquid
03-19-2008, 4:43 PM
Get the Spike's .22 for your .22 build; best rimfire upper out there.

But be prepared to wait. I ordered mine Feb 11 - standard M4 pattern, nothing fancy - and I haven't received it yet. I got an email message last week that said that they are starting to assemble a batch of uppers...

...maybe two weeks? :D

-- Michael

aplinker
03-19-2008, 4:46 PM
From one of the threads I quoted to you...

RRA is a tier-2 manufacturer. Only Colt is Tier-1, LMT comes close, some variations of custom builders (CMMG and Noveske) do, too.

This chart has become ubiquitous, but take it with a grain of salt:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/bdmoehri/ar20chart.jpg

That being said - Del-Ton & other bottom-feeders are as low as you can go.

You don't need to spend a ton of money on an AR upper & parts, but the quality difference at $500 and $800 is much more than double.

A couple of things to note about that DTI kit - trigger, no chrome lining in the barrel, and built with random parts by random manufacturers. That Stag uses some of the same barrel doesn't mean that somehow that barrel is good. It just means Stag isn't very choosy, either.

My advice is this - don't bother with a kit. It forces you in a box for parts selection and gives the illusion of easier. It's not.

Here is ALL you need to build a Cali-Legal AR (along with my advice for stuff):

Immediately DROS the lower... now... today... the rest will come along during your 10day wait.

You'll need:
1.) Lower
2.) Lower parts kit
3.) Complete upper
4.) Sights/optics
5.) Buttstock kit (stock, tube, spring, buffer)
6.) Compliance parts (bullet button or MMG)
7.) Magazine
8.) LOTS of ammo.

Here are my suggestions - I'd push you toward a Recce build:
1.) Build a 16" (or maybe slightly longer), with a medium or lightweight barrel contour. It will let you get good accuracy and be able to carry it.
2.) Get a mid-length gas system (unless you meet/exceed 18")
3.) Get a 2-stage Rock River Arms trigger with your LPK. It's well worth the extra $80. My personal favorite LPK is Armalite, but save money by getting the combo NM RRA kit (RRA is my 2nd choice for LPK). If you're trying to save money, just buy the standard LPK. The upgraded trigger is my 1st choice in "upgrades."
4.) If you want, get a Daniel Defense, Troy, SWS, or LaRue railed handguard - if you can afford it - and put it over a mid-length low profile gas block - looks cleaner and will allow you to mount a flip front sight on the rail with a longer sight radius. If you can't afford a free float rail, get a standard fixed FSB with a plastic handguard. It's cheaper and functions well. Having a flip front sight is unnecessary for almost all builds, but if you really want it I'd suggest one built into the gas-block.
5.) The meat:Get a flat-top upper. I'd go with the following upper/barrel manuf's (best down - all are very good): Colt, LMT/Noveske (tie), CMMG, RRA. The CMMG is probably the best entry-level value with the most options, but Colt and LMT build better products. ONLY Colt and FNH are actually mil-spec Tier-1 manufacturers. If money is no object both LaRue and VLTOR make some very, very nice uppers. Skies the limit on barrels, from standard USGI stuff, to White Oak Armament, to Douglas or Krieger... Pick the best quality upper and barrel you can afford. Make sure that either the barrel is chrome lined or it's made from stainless steel. Get M4 feed ramps, extended. If possible, get an enhanced bolt, this makes a big difference in reliability. You can leave it off and add it later, if needed. An enhanced or M16 carrier is a good choice, too.
6.) Pick your brake or flash hider. This is a pretty personal choice. The best FH: Smith Vortex. The FSC556 is pretty hot right now. Brakes have many options. Keep in mind neither really do much - the .223 is limited in recoil and how often do you shoot at night? For cost savings a standard, cheap A2 is just fine. I recommend having a muzzle device of some sort as it keeps the muzzle from getting damaged.
7.) All collapsible stocks are chasing the stability of an A2, which is the best choice economically. Most people prefer the collapsible. If you have money to spend, get an LMT SOPMOD buttstock kit. Magpul UBR, VLTOR EMOD and Magpul CTR are the next choices, in that order (except the UBR is probably MUCH too heavy for most applications and still isn't released). Price pretty much follows the quality there. The best cost/quality point is with the CTR. If you can't handle the price on that, the RRA collapsible will do. If possible, get a Mil-Spec carbine buffer tube. It will allow easier future upgrades.
8.) If you have money, pick an aftermarket grip. The MIAD is the hot one now. TangoDown, Ergo, Hogue etc all make their own, too. You don't need to change from the standard in the LPK, but it's nice.
9.) The best flip sights, hands down, are Troy. If cost is an issue a seller here on the boards has USGI Matechs for $55 (about 40% the Troy).
10.) Get one 10/30rd mag for pics (Magpul PMAG looks nice and functions well) and a few more 10rd C-Products + Magpul ranger plates for shooting

Other needs: Case (soft is best), sling (I prefer 2-point, 3-pt is acceptable, 1 point is stupid), optics (EOTech for 0-150yds and SPEED, ACOG for 50-400yds), ammo (anything cheap and brass cased, preferable, but Wolf runs fine - if your range allows magnetic ammo). Lastly, the Magpul winter trigger guard really finishes the look of a rifle.

Use this thread for guidance
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818

Keep in mind that some information in that thread is out of date (be sure to look at posting date). Almost all "new information" is toward being more liberal, than conservative.

This is also a nice summary:
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/in...main_page=ar15

For vendors, use those that support us as a community:
http://www.calguns.net/Sponsors.html
I've personally had good dealings with:
riflegear.com
tenpercentfirearms.com
coldwarshooters.com
rainierarms.com

Keep in mind that you can put a Ciener kit in your .223 AR-15 and shoot .22lr that way.

Jicko
03-19-2008, 4:53 PM
Go google some of the names you found in these forums, first..... if you(claim that you) are willing to do your homework.

Bottomfeeders and bad vendors dare not to try to sell on arfcom, they will get spitted on...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=22

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=125

Lastly, posting your budget will help. There is no point for us to recommend you a trigger that cost $300 while you are only willing to spend $30 on it.

You can get a Stag upper for $400ish, while a Mk12Mod0 upper will cost you $1500.

sanddragon2004
03-20-2008, 9:51 AM
dedeye thanks for the information. I ended up going with rifle gear and picked up a stag kit.

they where the most reasonable and the guy on the phone was super friendly answered all my questions and was very helpful!

thanks again for your help.

FYI to the newbies, in all the people i have talked to, i found them to be the least arrogant, non elitest i talked to.

actually they were quite humble and willing to answer questions from a newbie.

www.riflegear.com

randy
03-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I haven't ordered anything from them but after reading his posts as well as others I'd buy from 10%. In fact I'm thinking of what to buy so I can do business with him.

sanddragon2004
03-20-2008, 10:24 AM
i ordered my lower receivers from 10 percent and he was a cool guy and was good about returning emails.

but he just didnt have any of what i was looking for in stock,

riflegear had everything i wanted in stock and i ordered basically everything from him.

Rifle number 1 on its way!

actually i liked both shops,
friendly folks to deal with

thumbs up to 10 percent and riflegear hear.

high_revs
03-20-2008, 10:36 AM

i was in the same boat as you. at times, still the same. but there's tons of knowledge in here and tons of same topics posted. if i had to skim thru 20 pages of search results, i did (though that brought even more questions). i think most here are stating do your due diligence first since some of these topics come up each day. just because it's not in page 1 doesn't mean it's never been asked.

p.s. and if i had to ask something that i researched and have no answers, then i always call out nada on my research though some have alluded that some stuff are in ar15.com

DedEye
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
i ordered my lower receivers from 10 percent and he was a cool guy and was good about returning emails.

but he just didnt have any of what i was looking for in stock,

riflegear had everything i wanted in stock and i ordered basically everything from him.

Rifle number 1 on its way!

actually i liked both shops,
friendly folks to deal with

thumbs up to 10 percent and riflegear hear.

The best part is they're both active contributors to the forum, not just as sponsors but as posting members. I'm definitely a loyal customer to both of them and will be for a long time...

Army
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
So many sponsors banners...so little time :rolleyes:

THE 0NE
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
come see me at the gun exchange of sj ill help you out!!!