PDA

View Full Version : Retalliation to Bloombergs Everytown for gun safety campaign.

hitby55
04-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Below is a Pro-Gun facebook community page created because Bloomberg overlooked using the site. Oops! LOL!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Everytown-for-gun-safety-California/608903529201365

Carnivore
04-18-2014, 1:05 AM
Another one??? jeezzz

coryhenry
04-18-2014, 8:22 AM
Awesome

teg33
04-18-2014, 8:49 AM
Niceeee

buildingdoc
04-18-2014, 9:05 AM
His $50 million "grassroots" campaign is overlooking some details. Money doesn't buy what it used to.

kaligaran
04-18-2014, 10:01 AM
LOL GG Bloomberg.

This is priceless!

ETA: Is there one for every state? I noticed this one is California.
Did we also snag the generic 'Everytown for gun safety'?
ETA 2 : yes we did LOL https://www.facebook.com/Everytownforgunsafety

Sparta69
04-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Death to Tyrants!
(that's a quote, I think...)

Vlad 11
04-18-2014, 11:19 AM
"Gun Safety" is their double-speak for civilian disarming

Carnivore
04-18-2014, 11:34 AM
LOL GG Bloomberg.

This is priceless!

Many different states and even towns. People are jumping on before he can start one up of his own. Even the main every town facebook page is a pro gunner.

Totmacher
04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
This is awesome, what away to try to stay ahead of the game.

SamsDX
04-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Not that we didn't already know this, but this goes further to show that gun control simply does not have the dedicated grassroots support that its "leaders" say that it has. It's not hard hard at all to create these Pages on Facebook, and where passionate 2nd Amendment advocates in many States were able to snag the term "Everytown," none of their paid consultants, much less their supporters, could not even do that. If, indeed, there were a silent majority against gun rights, I would expect that the distribution of of gun control vs. second amendment Pages on Facebook would be more even.

It's quite pathetic, and I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

kaligaran
04-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Not that we didn't already know this, but this goes further to show that gun control simply does not have the dedicated grassroots support that its "leaders" say that it has. It's not hard hard at all to create these Pages on Facebook, and where passionate 2nd Amendment advocates in many States were able to snag the term "Everytown," none of their paid consultants, much less their supporters, could not even do that. If, indeed, there were a silent majority against gun rights, I would expect that the distribution of of gun control vs. second amendment Pages on Facebook would be more even.

It's quite pathetic, and I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Well said!

chiselchst
04-18-2014, 5:55 PM
The Bum-berka strategy is as lame as he is...I'm grateful "they" aren't very smart people.

The reporting that was linked - was (he hesitates...), decent! And NBC at that? HHhhmmm...

My cyber barf bag and finger on stop button were not utilized.

I think this lame, stupid attempt will HELP draw in even more masses of folks who, believe and support common sense gun laws and recent court rulings.

So, I say Thanks Bum-berger! You and your anti friends have increased OUR support so much. It's Mucho appreciated...

finyllw
04-18-2014, 9:20 PM
Hey Bloomberg, you can have all my guns for $50 million. And I promise I will not ever buy a factory built firearm ever again.

gaberaynes
04-18-2014, 9:25 PM
I like the phrasing "factory built" :cool2:

pastureofmuppets
04-18-2014, 9:32 PM
This has to be the second best story of the year, Yee being the first.

Of all the colossally stupid things to overlook, this is priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Money Vs. Passion and something to lose...

Someone has bagged @EverytownCA on Twitter... who would that be?

I also found @everytownWA and hopefully there are more out there.

1BigPea
04-19-2014, 4:40 PM
LOL GG Bloomberg.

This is priceless!

This page is down. Hmmmm...facebook taking them down?

ProLibertate
04-19-2014, 5:16 PM
The California one still seems to be up:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Everytown-for-gun-safety-California/608903529201365

Wee Gussie
04-19-2014, 5:22 PM
I don't know the reason why the first was taken down/removed, but it's been recreated here:

Everytown-for-Gun-Safety (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Everytown-for-Gun-Safety/255788701273534)

edit: I found it on the "Bring back Everytown for gun safety" page under a post link.

gater
04-19-2014, 5:27 PM
Bloomberg is such a liar, just like his pal DIRTY HARRY !!!!

ElvenSoul
04-19-2014, 5:57 PM
So stupid to launch this event right after the Nevada Rancher!

c18hr
04-19-2014, 6:09 PM
I don't know the reason why the first was taken down/removed, but it's been recreated here:

Everytown-for-Gun-Safety (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Everytown-for-Gun-Safety/255788701273534)

edit: I found it on the "Bring back Everytown for gun safety" page under a post link.

Facistbook is deleting the offending pages.

durandal
04-19-2014, 6:22 PM
instead of being Pro 2a it should be sarcastically over the top, e.g. confiscate all guns, round up political enemies in reeducation / work camps, force registration and segregation of minorities, enforce one child policy, etc.

pastureofmuppets
04-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Facistbook is deleting the offending pages.

Twitter did the same with @Everyt0wn on Twitter. It's back now.

What's probably happening is Bloomburgs employees are flagging them as impostors.

I suspect that once they have been reviewed they will be back - it's not a name that can really be protected it's so generic. Which of course is good for them in that they are trying to make gun safety mean guns are bad and gun owners are all unsafe. On the other hand, it means a little guerrilla action can subvert the hell out it.

cwr56
04-20-2014, 12:39 AM
It's been noticed.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/18/wait-until-you-see-what-clever-pro-gun-group-did-just-to-spite-bloombergs-50-million-anti-gun-campaign/

pastureofmuppets
04-20-2014, 12:45 AM
We’re going through the proper process for transitioning our Demand Action page to ‘Everytown,’ which takes a few weeks, and acquiring trademark protection for both Everytown and Everytown for Gun Safety. Once that happens, we expect Facebook to shoo these cybersquattters politely off this name/page,”

:facepalm:

If they have launched before getting trademarks, did they check that they aren't already trademarked names... (iANAL)if indeed both can be trademarked?

Then it is at least going to cost some of that 50 mil budget.

I wonder if Google will bend over.

2nd Mass
04-20-2014, 2:17 AM
Well done people! This is priceless!

Snoopy47
04-20-2014, 3:09 AM
Remember, this is the guy that made up his own laws as mayor and said it's illegal to sell soda's more than 16oz (which ended up getting over turned because ONE person gets to make the laws).

wpod
04-20-2014, 5:02 AM
I liked and shared every page I could find

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Sinestr
04-20-2014, 8:18 AM
Here's another California site.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Every-town-for-gun-safety-California/226710820862045

SamsDX
04-20-2014, 11:12 AM
:facepalm:

If they have launched before getting trademarks, did they check that they aren't already trademarked names... (iANAL)if indeed both can be trademarked?

Then it is at least going to cost some of that 50 mil budget.

I wonder if Google will bend over.

Before launch, and before filing for a federal registration (which they did), it would certainly be wise to do a trademark search in case there are conflicting marks. I'm guessing because they found none, they filed for and adopted it.

In short, any mark or source indicia can serve as a trademark, so long as it is distinctive (meaning the purchasing public can distinguish one seller of a good or service from another). You can think of distinctiveness as falling within a spectrum of five categories: The most distinctive are "fanciful" terms, which are made up words like Exxon or Xerox. Next down the order are "arbitrary" terms, which are real words but have absolutely no relation to the goods or services to which they are applied. Apple for computers would be an example. Then, there are suggestive terms - words that tend to suggest some characteristic or nature of the goods or services. Sub-Zero for refrigerators would be an example. All of the foregoing are registerable.

On the other side of the registerability divide are "merely descriptive" marks, which are those terms that convey an immediate idea as to the characteristics of the goods/services to which the term is applied. Finally, there are "generic" marks, which are those that are synonymous with an entire class of goods/services. If you tried to trademark "Apple" for fruits, then it would be found to be generic.

When it comes to distinctiveness, there's a lot of grey area, and creative lawyers can come up with all sorts of arguments as to why a mark is more suggestive than descriptive. As such, it's rather subjective, and I think "Everytown for Gun Safety," though it is somewhat of a close question, probably would have passed my smell test.

Once a trademark is applied-for, the Examining Attorney at the USPTO takes up the file, and reviews it for distinctiveness and searches for potentially conflicting marks. So, to answer your question, it probably passed through several marketing and legal people and was deemed OK, but it's ultimately up to the Examiner to decide that.

Before they obtain rights in the mark (with which they will use to convince Facebook to delete the "copycat" pages) the trademark application undergoes a publication period, during which any party that would be "injured" by the registration can file an opposition. I'd be interested to see if anyone does. If anything, it'll tie up the application process for a bit, and so long as legitimate arguments are available and raised, there should no problems. From my point of view as a 2nd Amendment supporter, I would say their name is "Deceptively Misdescriptive (http://www.bitlaw.com/source/tmep/1209_04.html)" :rofl2:

Nurse_Rep
04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Liked it on Facebook.

pastureofmuppets
04-20-2014, 7:27 PM
I'd be interested to see if anyone does. If anything, it'll tie up the application process for a bit, and so long as legitimate arguments are available and raised, there should no problems. From my point of view as a 2nd Amendment supporter, I would say their name is "Deceptively Misdescriptive (http://www.bitlaw.com/source/tmep/1209_04.html)" :rofl2:

Thanks for that informative post.

Who could do anything? Anyone or would it have to be someone with skin in the game?

What about say, a company called Firearms And Safety Training?

Hmmm. Could it be attorney time for quite a few training companies that teach safety?

sharxbyte
04-20-2014, 7:42 PM
Awesome. Share with your friends :)