PDA

View Full Version : Components for 1st build...

Eric_Oh
03-19-2008, 12:31 AM
After spending many late nights readin on this forum and others, i've compiled what I would like to put into my build. I'm listing these components here to ask for your comments and advice. Of course, they will be greatly appreciated.

Barrel________________CMMG 16" MedCon 1/7" Chrome Lined_________________$ 525.95*
Upper Reciever________CMMG A3________________________________________INCLUDED *
Gas__________________Midlength Gas System______________________________INCLUDED*
Sights________________Front & Back Troy BUIS________________________________$ 260
Gasblock_____________CMMG Micro Gas Block_________________________________$ 60
Flash Hider___________Phantom 5C2_________________________________________$ 30
Handguard___________DD Omega Rail 12"(Soon to be Released) placed over GB______$ ???
Magazine____________C Products 10rnd______________________________________$ 47 **
Stripped Lower_______CMMG or Stag________________________________________$ 150
LPK__________________Stag w Ambi Safety Selector_____________________________$ 82
_____________________Magpul Enh. Trigger Guard________________________________$ 19
_____________________Extended Takedown Pin____________________________INCLUDED**
Magazine Catch_______Bullet Button II__________________________________INCLUDED**
Pistol Grip____________Magpul MIAD_________________________________________$ 34
Stock________________Magpul UBR or CTR____________________________________$ ???

Question: Would running a FF Rail over a low pro Midlength gas block be a bad idea? I like the idea of a sleek unit without a visible gas block and the longer 12" rail so i can still maintain a fair sight radius

aplinker
03-19-2008, 1:30 AM
After spending many late nights readin on this forum and others, i've compiled what I would like to put into my build. I'm listing these components here to ask for your comments and advice. Of course, they will be greatly appreciated.

Barrel-------------CMMG 16" MedCon 1/7" Chrome Lined---$ 525.95*
Upper Reciever----CMMG A3-----------------------------INCLUDED*
Gas---------------Midlength Gas System-----------------INCLUDED*
Sights------------Front & Back Troy BUIS---------------------$ 260
Gasblock----------CMMG Micro Gas Block---------------------$ 60
Flash Hider--------Phantom 5C2------------------$ 30
Handguard--------DD Omega Rail 12"(Soon to be Released) placed over GB----$ ???
Magazine---------C Products 10rnd-------------------------$ 47 **
Stripped Lower----CMMG or Stag----------$ 150

Good choices.

The only issue is the Omega rail is vaporware right now.

Why is the Cproducts mag $47?! You should be able to get them for MUCH less.

Please include the EGRESS upgrade and the extended/polished feed ramps on your CMMG. For the $40 total it makes a big difference in reliability.

You also need a LPK (if you can afford it, get a RRA NM 2-stage) and a buttstock (LMT SOPMOD, VLTOR EMOD, Magpul CTR, A2) - price high to low, which also happens to correspond to quality, with the exception of the A2 - it's just not collapsible. Every other stock listed is trying to match it in stability.

If you're buying a CMMG upper, go with the CMMG lower.

Eric_Oh
03-19-2008, 1:43 AM
my comments in blue

Taken from above:

Good choices.

this from recent email...
Eric,

Thank you for your interest in Daniel Defense. We will be offering aMidlength Omega and plan to release it in about 6 weeks.

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
Vice President, Sales and Marketing
Daniel Defense, Inc.

Sorry, this is price for pkg that includes Bullet Button II and Extended Takedown Pin.

Please include the EGRESS upgrade and the extended/polished feed ramps on your CMMG. For the $40 total it makes a big difference in reliability.
forgot to write in the Polished feed ramps ... but will the egress really make that much difference?

You also need a LPK (if you can afford it, get a RRA NM 2-stage) and a buttstock (LMT SOPMOD, VLTOR EMOD, Magpul CTR, A2) - price high to low, which also happens to correspond to quality, with the exception of the A2 - it's just not collapsible. Every other stock listed is trying to match it in stability.
LPK & Stock updated above

I would go with cmmg no question, but i'm hung up on the Stag because it has the Safe and Fire markings on both sides which will correspond well with the Ambi Selector

aplinker
03-19-2008, 1:57 AM
Well... ummm... this is the firearms industry. 6 weeks could mean anything from tomorrow to next year. I'll be hopeful for your sake. :D

The UBR isn't a very good choice. It's expensive & heavy. You'd be better served by one of the others I suggested, or the CTR (I just don't like the CTR much).

Skip the EGRESS bolt. If you have any issues, you can always add it later.

my comments in blue

Taken from above:

Good choices.

Eric,

Thank you for your interest in Daniel Defense. We will be offering aMidlength Omega and plan to release it in about 6 weeks.

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
Daniel Defense, Inc.

Sorry, this is price for pkg that includes Bullet Button II and Extended Takedown Pin.

forgot to write in the Polished feed ramps ... but will the egress really make that much difference?

LPK & Stock updated above

I would go with cmmg no question, but i'm hung up on the Stag because it has the Safe and Fire markings on both sides which will correspond well with the Ambi Selector

FlyingPen
03-19-2008, 2:32 AM
I would just go with Troy or LaRue rails if the Omega rails are MIA. Even the Midwest FF rails are of good quality.

The finish and fit on the CMMG lower I saw at the gunshow while comparing them to other lowers... was the worst of the ones I compared. Mega Gator had the nicest finish by far and cleanest lines. Everything else seemed pretty mediocre.

Keep in mind, almost all lowers are made by 3 companies. Mega makes their own lowers and I think for one other brand.

aplinker
03-19-2008, 2:39 AM
Keep in mind, almost all lowers are made by 3 companies. Mega makes their own lowers and I think for one other brand.

That statement is pretty out of date now. I'm guessing you're referring to the Xeno post. There is still a lot of "private labeling" going on, but a significant number of shops are now milling their own. We have a LOT more lower makers out there now.

FlyingPen
03-19-2008, 2:41 AM
That statement is pretty out of date now. I'm guessing you're referring to the Xeno post. There is still a lot of "private labeling" going on, but a significant number of shops are now milling their own. We have a LOT more lower makers out there now.

Really? I had no idea, I thought that lower comparison post was up to date. Is there a link showing who makes what or who is milling what?

Not that it really matters, any name brand lower is going to work ok.

Eric_Oh
03-19-2008, 2:43 PM
Well i think i've pretty much settled on the CMMG for my lower. Spoke to Ammo Bros a little while ago and they told me they would have some CMMG lowers on order and pricing for these would be 159. Not a bad price i think. Plus i've bought ammo from them for the last 3 years... i like supporting local gun businesses. They also checked a lower from CMMG that they had in the store and verified that it has the safety selector markings on both sides, which is what i wanted. I know its only cosmetic, but i think it looks dumb having a selector switch visible on one side without any corresponding markings on the rcvr.

shark92651
03-19-2008, 5:55 PM
my comments in blue

Taken from above:

Good choices.

Eric,

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
Daniel Defense, Inc.

The UBR has been "shipping in 6 weeks" since march of 07. The full production version may finally be shipping the end of march 08, or so they say...

If you like the Daniel Defense rails then just get the AR15 LIte Rail 12.0 - that is a great rail.

It sounds like you have the makings of a fine rifle. I also like the long handguard over the gas block look myself, but there something to be said for the simplicity, reliability, and cost savings of a standard front sight. The Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM is a cool rail - it is 12 inches in total lengh but has a hole for a standard front sight to peek though at the midlength gas position.

Eric_Oh
03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The UBR has been "shipping in 6 weeks" since march of 07. The full production version may finally be shipping the end of march 08, or so they say...

If you like the Daniel Defense rails then just get the AR15 LIte Rail 12.0 - that is a great rail.

It sounds like you have the makings of a fine rifle. I also like the long handguard over the gas block look myself, but there something to be said for the simplicity, reliability, and cost savings of a standard front sight. The Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM is a cool rail - it is 12 inches in total lengh but has a hole for a standard front sight to peek though at the midlength gas position.

Thanks for the comments... Yea.. i'll have to wait and see how much patience i can muster before i give in and opt for parts already on the market. The reason i was planning on the rifle sans standard Fr. Sight was because i hope to later add optics and would rather do so with out the FS.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out with the DD Omega and UBR.

creampuff
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
My guess is everyone's experience will vary; but I found that my CMMG uppers fit better on my Stag lowers better than on my CMMG lowers. I found too much wiggle on the CMMG lowers.

The wiggle shouldn't really affect accuracy, I just find it annoying.

Jicko
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I have an UBR. I, too, think that it is heavy, but it is perfect for my SPR, but may not be so on a light-weight 16" build. The BEST stock for that is the LMT SOPMOD stock.