PDA

View Full Version : AR barrel question

LkPillsburyDude
03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I am selling an International Scout on craigslist. I said I was interested in trading and a couple people called back. First guy I talked to seemed to be the nicest and most interested. He has an LEO and has an 11 or 11.5 inch upper that he would willing to trade+cash for the scout. We were talking about adding on a muzzle brake that would make it 16" inches long. I figured stretching one out there that far would look ridiculous, but has anyone bought an extension that was good looking on their short barrel? I dont want to add a fake can. The guy knew all about OLL stuff, it was cool. I REALLY didnt want a short barrel to begin with, but if I can get the scout out of my drive way, and an upper, it would be killing two birds with one 5.56.

WhiteDingo
03-18-2008, 11:56 PM
You could run a 5.5" XM177 style FH on the rifle. That would bring an 11.5" up. Bushmaster sells them if I remember right.

aplinker
03-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Those are a waste of barrel length.

Jicko
03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Those are a waste of barrel length.

Exactly!!

There is NO POINT for a 11.5" barrel when the min length of the barrel is 16"

bwiese
03-19-2008, 1:23 AM
Run, don't walk from this deal if you own any sort of AR receiver or AR rifle - OLL or reg'd AW. You'd be in illegal constructive possession of an SBR if you owned both the shorty upper and either of these together - even if you didn't assemble them together.

Also 11.5" bbls are lame in terms of velocity even if they were legal. Why get 11.5" of velocity when you have to have 16" of pipe (w/perm. attached muzzle device)?

I'm betting that's why the cop was so 'friendly'. They were nice to Randy Weaver at first too.

Otherwise, that cop (if he has a lower) is most likely illegally possessing an SBR.

mltrading
03-20-2008, 6:42 PM
Run, don't walk from this deal if you own any sort of AR receiver or AR rifle - OLL or reg'd AW. You'd be in illegal constructive possession of an SBR if you owned both the shorty upper and either of these together - even if you didn't assemble them together.

Also 11.5" bbls are lame in terms of velocity even if they were legal. Why get 11.5" of velocity when you have to have 16" of pipe (w/perm. attached muzzle device)?

I'm betting that's why the cop was so 'friendly'. They were nice to Randy Weaver at first too.

Otherwise, that cop (if he has a lower) is most likely illegally possessing an SBR.

+1

You hear Bill. Well, run for your life. I smell entrapment.......:D

Sydwaiz
03-20-2008, 7:21 PM
Get the XM177 flash hider and have him permanently install it before trading and provide a written receipt saying so. But unless you are doing a retro build then pass on the 11.5 barrel.