View Full Version : Savage 99 Info? Value?

03-18-2008, 8:14 PM
I was given a Savage Model 99 a few years back by my father, just because it had been sitting in the attic and he never used it (he took it with him when he moved out on his own when he was younger, never even used it). I was thinking about maybe selling the rifle, as I'm not the hunting sort, so I've got no good use for it. I was hoping someone here might be able to help me find more info about it.

Now I know some of you would say keep the rifle, but this particular one has no historial/nostalgic value to me. (My great-grandfather's Czech Mauser sporter is an entirely different story). There are other things I would rather have on my gun rack at this point.

It's a 5-shot rotary magazine version, in .300 Savage. Gun is 90-95% condition, just very slight wear on the front sight and some bare metal under where the rear sight was drifted out to facilitate the gunsmith's installation of a scope base and Weaver K2 scope. They also had the gunsmith fit a JC Higgins recoil pad and sling swivels to the rifle.

I was told by my grandfather that he fired approximately 40 rounds through the rifle since he bought it originally (he couldn't remember the year).

I've read up a little, and read that you could find out the year of manufacture based on the lever boss stamp and/or serial number. The lever boss states "26A", and the serial number is 5387**

If anyone could help me out with a year of manuf (I understand the new savage arms co. doesn't give out info on products from before they acquired the company?), and maybe a rough idea of asking price, that would be great.

G-Man WC
03-18-2008, 9:11 PM
The 99's do have a following. If it's in 90-95% you may get a nice return on it if hold out for the right buyer. What Cha want for it?? -g

03-18-2008, 9:41 PM
The 99's do have a following. If it's in 90-95% you may get a nice return on it if hold out for the right buyer. What Cha want for it?? -g

That's the thing, I have absolutely no idea where to start.

I just did a quick search on GB to get a range. Seems like the used, worn ones range from $250-$400, with the nicer condition ones going up from there (couple of crazies want $1000+ for their rifles!?). That and it seems everyone likes the K2 for a Model 99, heh.

For anyone reading, would you think a $600 asking price would be absurd if I were to list the rifle? There's a similarly equipped (missing some features that mine displays), but much more worn rifle listed on GB for a bit over four hundred, so I kinda picked a little above that.

G-Man WC
03-19-2008, 9:39 PM
WD, I'd ask that and see if you get any bites. A lot of the older guys (70+) I hunted with in the past loved them. The rotary mag and 300 Sav combo... It hits hard for a small round. -g

03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I got one in .308, thinking the same thing about it too it would take some of the sting out of a name upper for my AR.

03-21-2008, 5:08 PM
Your Savage is a 1950 vintage, according to http://www.savage99.com. Lots of Savage info there.
Good luck with the Sale!

03-21-2008, 5:31 PM
Try also at www.savageshooters.com there are a lot of knowedgable collectors there.