PDA

View Full Version : AR build Questions

Tracer Tong
03-18-2008, 7:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of deciding how to build my first AR, I want to use it for IPSC( I think limited division) and I'm on a fairly tight budget. My questions are as follows:

1. If I get a 16" barreled upper and unscrew the standard flash hider(to comply with mmg and featureless build) will the barrel still make 16"?

2. Does anyone know if pistol caliber carbines are legal in IPSC? I could save a bunch of money on ammo. And if they are legal, is it possible to make major power factor with 9mm out of a 16" barrel without blowing something up?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'll be reading this thread and I'll be glad to clarify any questions that arise from my questions.

WhiteDingo
03-18-2008, 8:19 PM
1. Yes, a 16" barrel is 16" w/ no muzzle attachments. If the barrel was any shorter, the muzzle device would have to be permanently attached, unfortunately.

2. I honestly don't know, I've not looked into IPSC, sorry.

Tracer Tong
03-18-2008, 9:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, one less thing to have to think about when planning my first build.

WhiteDingo
03-18-2008, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, one less thing to have to think about when planning my first build.

If you're going to shoot IPSC and they allow it, I would suggest a muzzle brake for your rifle instead of the flash hider (that you're taking off any way). It will help you get your follow up shot on target faster, definately more so than a bare muzzle.