PDA

View Full Version : Flash hider removal

philthy209
03-18-2008, 4:19 PM
How do i remove the flash hider/brake from my rifle? Is there a trick i could use so i don't have to buy the vice block?

SFFRONTMAN
03-18-2008, 4:26 PM
Put rifle between your knees, grab a big crescent wrench, and go to town.

FEDUPWBS
03-18-2008, 4:26 PM
Sounds like you are talking about an AR type rifle? If yes then :xeno:. Thank you, FEDUPWBS

philthy209
03-18-2008, 4:34 PM
Located Search button thanks.:beatdeadhorse5:

CrippledPidgeon
03-18-2008, 7:10 PM
Just don't forget to tape up your wrench so you don't ruin the finish on your flashhider.

Charliegone
03-18-2008, 8:20 PM
Is this for the ar-15? If so this method worked for me and probably would work with any rifle. Get a leather belt or something leather that's a bit thick. Wrap it around the front portion of the barrel and tighten it up in the vice. As tight as you can get it. Then take a wrench and turn that sucker. It will twist right off with not much effort. Putting it on is the same way. Just you would have to tighten up the vice more. Also make sure you do not pull on anything else while turning. Only the barrel. I would advise against heating it up..just don't like to mess with that.

s2000news
03-18-2008, 8:23 PM
Is this for the ar-15? If so this method worked for me and probably would work with any rifle. Get a leather belt or something leather that's a bit thick. Wrap it around the front portion of the barrel and tighten it up in the vice. As tight as you can get it. Then take a wrench and turn that sucker. It will twist right off with not much effort. Putting it on is the same way. Just you would have to tighten up the vice more. Also make sure you do not pull on anything else while turning. Only the barrel. I would advise against heating it up..just don't like to mess with that.

How did you do on reinstalling it? Did it line up well for you with the crush washer still?

shark92651
03-18-2008, 8:28 PM
It's best to replace the crush washer when reinstalling. They don't normally work too well the 2nd time.

gosparx
03-18-2008, 8:33 PM
Also, make sure that flash-hider is just screwed on (which is usually the case) what you don't want to do is try and unscrew a flash-hider that has been pinned and welded in place in order to bring the OAL of the barrel up to 16".

If you try and remove a hider that is pinned and welded; one, it's very difficult; two, you screw up the threads and the hider and three... you now have a barrel that is no longer the legal 16"!!

s2000news
03-18-2008, 8:42 PM
It's best to replace the crush washer when reinstalling. They don't normally work too well the 2nd time.

I noticed when I reinstalled mine. Ordered a replacement, only $1.50.

I was guessing a 2nd use would work, but not best.

mltrading
03-20-2008, 7:22 PM
Step #1:
Check your muzzle device. Verify whether it is screwed or welded.

If it is screwed, go to STEP #2.

If it is welded, go to STEP #9.

STEP #2:
If your BBL assembly is with regular pinned-and-tapped FSB, you are lucky. You just need to wrap the whole FSB area with something like thick leather, then clamp the whole FSB area on your vise. Then use a regular wrench to un-screw the muzzle device.

The AR barrel threads are regular right-handed threads. Thus, turn counter-clockwise to loosen it.

Otherwise, you need a barrel vise. Go to STEP #3.

STEP #3:
You need a barrel vise. The poorman's BBL vise would be two blocks of wood. Or you can get standard aluminum BBL vise. It's not expensive. Just remember to clamp the vise and BBL really tight.

STEP #9:
You need to find out the welding spot first. Then use dremel tool or any cutting tool open a slot on your muzzle device. Then use a chisel to pry the muzzle device out.

Most likely the muzzle device will be destroyed and not for reuse.

Most likely the welding spot is on BBL threads, you might destroy portion of the threads while removing. You will need new threads.

Happy DIY!!!:D

Charliegone
03-20-2008, 7:52 PM
How did you do on reinstalling it? Did it line up well for you with the crush washer still?

I installed a YHM Phantom on mine and yes it did line up. Just the same way. With the belt wrapped around it just going the other way and aligning it.