PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy my first rifle... help!

lincoln6echo
03-17-2008, 6:05 PM
I shot a friends Bushmaster AR a while back and fell in love. I've decided it's time I get a rifle for myself so I joined here and wanted to get some advice.

I'm looking for something I can have a great time with at the range and camping and I'm not all that interested in how much I can add to it, just looking for something I can order with a decent scope and bipod.

I've read some great things about the Colt 6920 and the Sig 556. There is a local dealer selling the Sig but they are asking $1700:eek: It is one of the bullet button models but 3-4 other dealers in the area seem affraid to carry them. Anyways, any advice/direction would be appreciated. I'm in the East Bay (Nor Cal) if that matters and my budget is between $1500-$1700. I can wait on the scope if I have to.

Blue
03-17-2008, 6:06 PM
Hit up Irvington Arms in Fremont. They'll be able to hook you up and they stock a ton of cool stuff ;)

aplinker
03-17-2008, 6:07 PM
Welcome! Here's a great thread to get you started on CA issues:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Most of us are pretty partial to home-built CA-legal ARs.

I shot a friends Bushmaster AR a while back and fell in love. I've decided it's time I get a rifle for myself so I joined here and wanted to get some advice.

I'm looking for something I can have a great time with at the range and camping and I'm not all that interested in how much I can add to it, just looking for something I can order with a decent scope and bipod.

I've read some great things about the Colt 6920 and the Sig 556. There is a local dealer selling the Sig but they are asking $1700:eek: It is one of the bullet button models but 3-4 other dealers in the area seem affraid to carry them. Anyways, any advice/direction would be appreciated. I'm in the East Bay (Nor Cal) if that matters.

lincoln6echo
03-17-2008, 6:31 PM
Wow, info overload! Thanks for the links, lots of good stuff for me to read through... I did try to search since I'm sure this is a tiresome question but the results were just too much to sift through.

Has the feedback on the Sig 556 been pretty good? Any range reports? I really don't want to build my own and to be honest probably would not have the time as I have a 2 month old and am studying for my CFE online.

Blue - Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. I'm in Martinez but would make a little trip of the savings were good.

Blue
03-17-2008, 6:36 PM
Blue - Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. I'm in Martinez but would make a little trip of the savings were good.

Prices are more than fair, but the amount of help and knowledge that you'll gain from the one trip are worth it.

vinny_land
03-17-2008, 9:30 PM
Has the feedback on the Sig 556 been pretty good? Any range reports?.

I havent yet fired the Sig 556 but i have heard decent things about it. From what i've been told, its a great rifle and has a good trigger for an out of the box gun. The bolt and carrier are from the ak design if you want to know. Buy one and dont look back!!!

aplinker
03-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I think you might have a fallacious understanding of what it takes to build an AR.

I've done a few, so I'd be faster than you now, but my 1st build took me about 3 hours, total. That was going SLOW and meticulously. Now? I can bare bones strip a lower and rebuild a complete AR in about 15 minutes. The building takes 4 simple tools, tops (screwdriver w/allen bits, punch (small screwdriver in a pinch), a hammer and a wrench (a $6 specialty AR one you can get with your parts)).

It's well worth the experience and will teach you TONS about the use and function of your AR.

Wow, info overload! Thanks for the links, lots of good stuff for me to read through... I did try to search since I'm sure this is a tiresome question but the results were just too much to sift through.

Has the feedback on the Sig 556 been pretty good? Any range reports? I really don't want to build my own and to be honest probably would not have the time as I have a 2 month old and am studying for my CFE online.

LECTRIKHED
03-17-2008, 10:47 PM
START OFF WITH A BOLT ACTION 22. Shoot it for a few months. Then buy whatever you want.

Omega13device
03-18-2008, 9:49 AM
Have you ever owned a firearm before? If not you will learn a lot and do yourself a HUGE favor by taking a safety course at one of the local ranges.

lincoln6echo
03-18-2008, 8:42 PM
I think you might have a fallacious understanding of what it takes to build an AR.

I've done a few, so I'd be faster than you now, but my 1st build took me about 3 hours, total. That was going SLOW and meticulously. Now? I can bare bones strip a lower and rebuild a complete AR in about 15 minutes. The building takes 4 simple tools, tops (screwdriver w/allen bits, punch (small screwdriver in a pinch), a hammer and a wrench (a $6 specialty AR one you can get with your parts)).

It's well worth the experience and will teach you TONS about the use and function of your AR.

You're right, I thought there was a lot more to it. Maybe I'll start snooping around for info on my first build. I've checked out the Sig and while it is a tad heavy I really like the feel of the trigger. The local dealer also had a Stag which had a nice weight but the trigger was no where near the Sig.

Omega13device - Yes, I have a HK USP .40 and a Mossberg 500. I've also owned 2 Beretta 92's and a Desert Eagle .44 which have since been sold. I've shot AR's, AK's, .30-06, SKS, and a few others. I like the feel of the AR's the best out of what I've shot.

btw - My local dealer was advising not to wait on any AR type purchases as the DOJ is expected to close the "loop hole" on the bullet button soon. Any truth to this?

redcliff
03-18-2008, 9:59 PM
Probably in two weeks...

:hide:

lincoln6echo
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Probably in two weeks...

Damn, seriously? I thought the BB guy was already working on a second version. Is this window of opportunity really that small?

E Pluribus Unum
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM

I've read some great things about the Colt 6920 and the Sig 556. There is a local dealer selling the Sig but they are asking $1700:eek: It is one of the bullet button models but 3-4 other dealers in the area seem affraid to carry them. Anyways, any advice/direction would be appreciated. I'm in the East Bay (Nor Cal) if that matters and my budget is between $1500-$1700. I can wait on the scope if I have to.

The absolute minimum armament in any firearm collection is a semi-auto .22LR and a 12 guage shotgun. Buy those first; worry about an AR later.

P.S.
Probably in two weeks...

Come on man... that has been used more than Britany Spears.

redcliff
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Damn, seriously? I thought the BB guy was already working on a second version. Is this window of opportunity really that small?

Heh, was just giving the standard Calgun answer when that question pops up, since DOJ has been telling everyone they're closing the loophole "in two weeks" for the last several years.

BB's meet the letter of the law for fixed 10 round magazines, and the DOJ can't add any more guns to "the list".

aplinker
03-18-2008, 11:46 PM
You're right, I thought there was a lot more to it. Maybe I'll start snooping around for info on my first build. I've checked out the Sig and while it is a tad heavy I really like the feel of the trigger. The local dealer also had a Stag which had a nice weight but the trigger was no where near the Sig.

Ahhh my dear friend... this is the beauty of the AR. There's no such thing as an AR trigger.

AR parts are all modular. I have a few triggers on my ARs that would make you need to change your underwear if you like the SIG556 trigger.

While there are complete rifles that are ARs, you're far better off with rolling your own and selecting parts. Look through the other threads by people asking about 1st builds, etc, in the past couple days. I've put long descriptions of recommendations.

The SIG is pretty heavy.

Where are you located? If you're within an hour of the 10/405 in Los Angeles, you have to visit Randall of AR15barrels.com.

lincoln6echo
03-19-2008, 4:24 PM
Ahhh my dear friend... this is the beauty of the AR. There's no such thing as an AR trigger.

AR parts are all modular. I have a few triggers on my ARs that would make you need to change your underwear if you like the SIG556 trigger.

While there are complete rifles that are ARs, you're far better off with rolling your own and selecting parts. Look through the other threads by people asking about 1st builds, etc, in the past couple days. I've put long descriptions of recommendations.

The SIG is pretty heavy.

Where are you located? If you're within an hour of the 10/405 in Los Angeles, you have to visit Randall of AR15barrels.com.

Lots to learn around here, I'll check some threads on 1st builds. Rock River seems to get good feedback.

btw - I'm in Contra Costa County (Nor Cal, East Bay).

Omega13device
03-21-2008, 10:16 AM
btw - My local dealer was advising not to wait on any AR type purchases as the DOJ is expected to close the "loop hole" on the bullet button soon. Any truth to this?
Just so you know for the future, the DOJ can't make or change laws. Only the CA legislature can do that. The DOJ can propose changes to regulations, but that requires a lengthy process involving public comment and just because they want to change a regulation doesn't mean they will be successful. They like to spread FUD among dealers and retailers by saying "we will do this and that" but that is merely influence via fearmongering and intimidation, not law.

mltrading
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Just so you know for the future, the DOJ can't make or change laws. Only the CA legislature can do that. The DOJ can propose changes to regulations, but that requires a lengthy process involving public comment and just because they want to change a regulation doesn't mean they will be successful. They like to spread FUD among dealers and retailers by saying "we will do this and that" but that is merely influence via fearmongering and intimidation, not law.

Absolutely correct. Let's wait for another two weeks.:D

Frankly, I've passed many "two weeks" since the end of year 2005 and nothing happened.:D:D

lerroy1119
03-21-2008, 3:04 PM
I say you get a M1A scout instead more accurate and bigger round

AxonGap
03-21-2008, 3:53 PM

Frankly, I've passed many "two weeks" since the end of year 2005 and nothing happened.:D:D

Amen to that!!

aplinker
03-21-2008, 4:22 PM

ummm... what?

Anyone who claims an M1A Scout is more accurate than an AR is either A.) a fool or B.) a HORRIBLE shot. Which one are you? :p

63 tango
03-21-2008, 7:37 PM

Blue - Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. I'm in Martinez but would make a little trip of the savings were good. I built my AR from parts. Its all Stag. At the time i wasnt able to buy a complete rifle. If i could i would have. Having to build my rifle did teach me alot about it though. There is nothing wrong with buying a complete rifle. I buy a Stag from your local dealer. Is it the dealer in Pleasant Hill? How much for the rifle?

1lostinspace
03-21-2008, 7:55 PM
You can build one through Delton for about $650

aplinker
03-21-2008, 7:57 PM
You can build one through Delton for about $650

http://freon.shackspace.com/misc/worf.gif

Stormfeather
03-21-2008, 11:23 PM

ummm... what?

Anyone who claims an M1A Scout is more accurate than an AR is either A.) a fool or B.) a HORRIBLE shot. Which one are you? :p

Accuracy is the person pulling the trigger.

Bigger round, sure. . .but bigger doesnt necessarily mean better, and I dont suffer from "ammo envy". I can make due with 223/556 ammo over the costs of 762/308 ammo.

aplinker
03-22-2008, 6:47 AM
Accuracy is the person pulling the trigger.

Bigger round, sure. . .but bigger doesnt necessarily mean better, and I dont suffer from "ammo envy". I can make due with 223/556 ammo over the costs of 762/308 ammo.

Couldn't agree more, on both counts.

My statement about the AR and the M1A was from the perspective of accuracy potential. Put a grandma behind an F1 car and it will still drive from here to San Francisco at 55mph with the right turn signal on, the whole way.

StraightShooter
03-22-2008, 3:09 PM

But guys, they really mean it this time. :D

mltrading
03-22-2008, 3:54 PM

Do you mean the president election stuff?:D

RobG
03-22-2008, 4:02 PM

Gotta show this to my wife. More lowers on the way!!:43:

PistolPete75
03-22-2008, 4:59 PM
everyone has their own taste in firearms.

ar15s are fun, but they can get old pretty quick unless your a 3gunner.

why don't you try out a nice precision bolt action rifle? start at a 100yards, and then work your way up to 1k. if you really dig it, come to a match at APS or check out the precision rifle section in this forum. tactical precision shooting is an on-going learning process, and it never gets old.