PDA

View Full Version : best ak magazine lock

scotthmt
03-17-2008, 1:34 PM
I want a magazine lock for my ak that is removeable incase a shtf situation goes down and zombies are busting thru my window. I'd rather not fumble with something too terribly difficult, or possibly something that is Removeable once I find cover from the zombies, any recomendations on what to go with or what to stay away from?

Jaiofspam
03-17-2008, 1:36 PM
raddlock

but if shtf is a big concern i would just go with a mmg :)

thedrickel
03-17-2008, 1:38 PM
The jumbopanda is the best idea, but IMHO it is slightly lacking in the way of permanence. Not taking out that mag lever pin = WIN.

Baron
03-17-2008, 2:18 PM
I'd say no mag lock...
It's probably faster and easier to just add a pistol grip if the SHTF...

scotthmt
03-17-2008, 2:50 PM
yeah I think I'm just gonna go with the MMG, although the pistol grip just looks and feels so cool. Another question, I just about finished my first AK build from a flat, and I have an ar build once my recieve is DROS'd, my AR build should be a cakewalk compare to my AK build, right?

Josh3239
03-17-2008, 3:25 PM
AR are definetly much easier that an AK.

Any mag locks comes off quickly, I cannot think of one that would take more than 3 minutes.

jjperl
03-17-2008, 4:00 PM
By far the JJPERL AK mag lock. The "Raddlock" is mad of flimsy plastic that uses a dedicated tool. Mine's made of 16 gauge steel and you can use any tool you want. The link to more information is in my sig line, if your interested.

jumbopanda
03-17-2008, 4:06 PM
The jumbopanda is the best idea, but IMHO it is slightly lacking in the way of permanence. Not taking out that mag lever pin = WIN.

I second this notion. But as far as permanence goes, the one on my AK pistol hasn't come loose after about 300 rounds (without loctite too). :) I actually have a new design that I will soon be producing. Instead of having two screws and a nut, I will now use a single screw installed in a specially made nut. I'll post up some pictures after finals.

jandmtv
03-17-2008, 4:24 PM
I second this notion. But as far as permanence goes, the one on my AK pistol hasn't come loose after about 300 rounds (without loctite too). :) I actually have a new design that I will soon be producing. Instead of having two screws and a nut, I will now use a single screw installed in a specially made nut. I'll post up some pictures after finals.

could you please post pics of your current version? i dont think i have ever seen your mag lock b4

jumbopanda
03-17-2008, 4:31 PM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2550/img0353of9.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3135/akbbforsalewx8.jpg
The new version will not have the screws sticking out like that. Instead it will use a single hidden set screw.

jandmtv
03-17-2008, 4:44 PM
thats a very nice design!

ghost
03-17-2008, 7:14 PM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2550/img0353of9.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3135/akbbforsalewx8.jpg
The new version will not have the screws sticking out like that. Instead it will use a single hidden set screw.

can i trade my old one in for the new version?:D

jumbopanda
03-17-2008, 7:23 PM
No need, the mag body will be the same, so you can just take the new nut and put it in.

ghost
03-17-2008, 7:25 PM
No need, the mag body will be the same, so you can just take the new nut and put it in.

hook me up jumbo;)

knucklehead 61
03-17-2008, 8:42 PM
i have a raddman on my ak & it is a piece of ****.
had to modify the mags just to get it to sometimes work.
the spring in it is way too stiff. i think i will just fab my own bullet button type thing-a-ma-jig & head back to the range.

jacques
03-17-2008, 8:53 PM

I remember seeing that on your AK and was wondering about it. I have been thinking how I am going to do my VZ58 when I get it together. That may work, as soon as I fihure out how far down the mag release is going to be. It is a little different than and AK.

Also, you mentioned you had a press. Do you think you could help me press my receiver on in a month or so when I get them?

gosparx
03-17-2008, 9:00 PM
I have a Raddam on one AK and don't care fore it. It's plastic and kind of a pain sometimes to pull the mag. (even more so if you can't find the little tool that is specifically designed to make it work).

I have the JJPERL on two other AKs and like it much better. It's kind of big and blocky, but it works and keeps the gun CA compliant at all times.

I have a question on how the Jumbopanda works...

It appears that once you've loosened the screw so that you can slide the mechanism back to operate the mag release lever... until you tighten that screw back up you have a mag release that does not require a tool to drop the mag. If so then you have an AW any time that screw is loose.

Do I understand the operation of Jumbopanda right??

For quite a while I just had a bolt and nut that I slipped behind the mag release lever and tightened up. It locked up the mag lever perfectly, was completely invisible (unless you looked down, inside, behind the mag lever). The only problem was that if I needed to drop the mag to clear a jam, or for any other reason, I had an AK that was illegal AW until I replaced the screw and tightened it down.

With either the Raddam or the JJERAL, the lock resets itself so there is never a time that your gun does not have a fixed mag (whether there is a mag in the gun or not).

If I am wrong regarding how the Jumbopanda works (meaning that you can drop a mag and the device auto resets and the gun is continually legal) then it looks like a nice, sleek system.

jacques
03-17-2008, 9:06 PM
I dont think you loosen or remove any screws from the jumbopanda. You use a tool to slide between the grooves to release the mag, from the way it looks to me anyway.

jandmtv
03-17-2008, 9:07 PM
you are not supposed to undo the screw, the screw holds the lock in place. the open slot next to the screw, thats what you stick your tool in to actuate the lever. does that make sense?

gosparx
03-17-2008, 9:18 PM
Now I understand! That sounds much better. I may have to order one and replace the Raddlock!

Thanks for the clarification!

shark92651
03-17-2008, 9:23 PM
i have a raddman on my ak & it is a piece of ****.
had to modify the mags just to get it to sometimes work.
the spring in it is way too stiff. i think i will just fab my own bullet button type thing-a-ma-jig & head back to the range.

Don't modify your mags, just file down the top of the Raddlock a bit. It is certainly not "flimsy", but I think it could use some tweaks to operate better. I like the clean look of it but it needs to be easier to operate. I think the problem is in the design of the tool. I imagine if the rod were a couple inches longer and bent at about a 45 degree angle (to allow you more room to pivot towards the magazine) you could get a lot more leverage and it would be easier to operate. Hopefully Radd will show up and come to the defense of his product. They both have their merits, and I hate to see the Raddlock get trashed in public like this - I want all the calguns compliance products to succeed!

scotthmt
03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
AR are definetly much easier that an AK.

Any mag locks comes off quickly, I cannot think of one that would take more than 3 minutes.

I think a zombie would have a feast on my brains in 3 minutes ;)

I thinkim gonna go with the panda guys lock, it looks easy to remove, and if I put wingnut on the bottom of the trigger bolt it will come off really quick incase brain eating zombies are at my door.

radd
03-17-2008, 11:18 PM
By far the JJPERL AK mag lock. The "Raddlock" is mad of flimsy plastic that uses a dedicated tool. Mine's made of 16 gauge steel and you can use any tool you want. The link to more information is in my sig line, if your interested.

jjperl,

Before you go off and call my product "flimsy plastic", I think it’s about time you step into the 21st century. Your old school idea of metal is stronger than plastic days are over.

First of all, the Plastic Polymer I use is found in industrial machines, automobiles, airplanes, and many other moving parts applications.

It has Mechanical Tensile Strength of 11,000 PSI, Operating Temperature at 180 F, Rockwell Hardness of R122, self lubricating properties, also it will stay in the color it comes in Black, even with repeat wear and use.

What does all that number above means? In short, this polymer material is stronger than what is required on a Magazine Lock. Not to mention Raddlocks are designed mechanically to operate minimized stress on material. The magazine should slide off naturally and easily when the mag catch is actuated.

If you have a problem with plastics, then I highly recommend you stay away from the H&K family of firearms, they got some “flimsy plastic” in them too. Stay away from the Glock and any other firearms that use plastic as part of its structural components.

Radd

jumbopanda
03-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I think a zombie would have a feast on my brains in 3 minutes ;)

I thinkim gonna go with the panda guys lock, it looks easy to remove, and if I put wingnut on the bottom of the trigger bolt it will come off really quick incase brain eating zombies are at my door.

Well I don't know if I'd recommend doing that. Since the wingnut allows the mag lock to be taken off without a tool, the mag can then also be removed without a tool. Therefore you have a detachable mag. But if you want something that is easily removed for SHTF or out of state shooting, my lock still suits your needs just fine. You only need to loosen one set screw with an allen wrench and slide the thing off.

aplinker
03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Ooo

This thread has drama.

The LaughingDog AK MagLock(TM) (R) (c) is the best ever. It's made out of leprechaun pots for the chassis and uses a custom, genuine unicorn horn tool for releasing the mag. Fairy dust is not included, but can be added. I will sell it for $33/shipped and only accept gold nuggets or ammo, in trade.

It's way better than that crappy JumboPanda lock. What a joke. It's made out of recycled Snoopy SnoCone machine parts and requires the use of dismembered GI Joe action figure legs for the tool. It will also make your AK full-auto and bring the ATF to your door. YMMV

My next version will use BlueTooth and will have a Wii-like controller, only smaller. A wee-Wii, so to speak. To drop the mag all you do is pull your wee-Wii out of your pocket and wave it around, and the mag drops.

Beat that, giant black and white rodent.

jumbopanda
03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Ooo

This thread has drama.

The LaughingDog AK MagLock(TM) (R) (c) is the best ever. It's made out of leprechaun pots for the chassis and uses a custom, genuine unicorn horn tool for releasing the mag. Fairy dust is not included, but can be added. I will sell it for $33/shipped and only accept gold nuggets or ammo, in trade.

It's way better than that crappy JumboPanda lock. What a joke. It's made out of recycled Snoopy SnoCone machine parts and requires the use of dismembered GI Joe action figure legs for the tool. It will also make your AK full-auto and bring the ATF to your door. YMMV

My next version will use BlueTooth and will have a Wii-like controller.

WTS: Two Jumbopanda AK mag lock tools $10 each plus shipping. Torso, head, and arms not included.

http://markruinsdinner.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/gijoe.jpg

Addax
03-18-2008, 12:01 AM
LOL Plinker!

You guys have come up with great solutions (Radd, Jumbopanda and JJperl).

I have both the JJperl and the Radd Locks, and I have tried the original Jumbopanda model, but not the new model.

All 3 work, but all 3 have certain drawbacks.

JJperls Mag Lock is a good solid solution, but it is a challenge to install.

The Radd Lock is another good solid solution, but the tool can use a redesign, as has been mentioned. It is a little weird to use.

Sorry Jumbo, I have not ordered one of the newer ones like I was going to, just been busy and forgot, but I will get one ordered for evaluation this week.

Bottom line, you guys have all designed and built some really great products to help us stay compliant, and even though they are not approved devices by the Cal DOJ, your products to help to eliminate the detachable magazine and allow us users who like to have a pistol grip on a rifle.

The Monsterman grip is also a great product for those of us who want to eliminate the evil pistol grip so we can have a detachable magazine again.

All in all lets keep things nice between us.

jumbopanda
03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry Jumbo, I have not ordered one of the newer ones like I was going to, just been busy and forgot, but I will get one ordered for evaluation this week.

Well I haven't had time to make any of them anyway. It's finals week. :)

...:(

Addax
03-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Study! Study! Study!

Good Luck and let me know when you get a chance to make more.

aplinker
03-18-2008, 1:53 AM
Study! Study! Study!

Good Luck and let me know when you get a chance to make more.

He's developing a special tiny guillotine for dismembering the GI Joes.

He's also having difficulty location more SnoCone machines on eBay. Supply chain issues, yano...

What classes you taking JP? Any science or math, hit me up.

DV8
03-18-2008, 8:50 AM
I want a magazine lock for my ak that is removeable incase a shtf situation goes down and zombies are busting thru my window. I'd rather not fumble with something too terribly difficult, or possibly something that is Removeable once I find cover from the zombies, any recomendations on what to go with or what to stay away from?

If its for shtf none of my rifles will have any mag locks. Round count is going to be higher on my list instead of the ability to use a pg. That being said, for the AK I'd go MMG or saiga style.

jumbopanda
03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
He's developing a special tiny guillotine for dismembering the GI Joes.

He's also having difficulty location more SnoCone machines on eBay. Supply chain issues, yano...

What classes you taking JP? Any science or math, hit me up.

Math 3B and Chem 1B...I am so f***ed. :(

SunriseF150
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah there should be no bashing of another persons product to boost your own. They are all great ideas. Each one will suit someone better than another. I don't own any at the moment, as I used MMG grips or custom grips on mine to go with all my preban mags. I am thinking of building a mag lock build, and I like the looks of the Raddlock better for it's flush look. Although like mentioned above, will there be a tool redesign? I always seem to buy things, then they come out with the redesigned version right after. lol.

supersonic
03-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I have one of each (RL & BB) & can't make up my mind. So, I just switch them out every other month, or so. Whenever I get a wild hair up my arse.:p However, as much as I LUUUUVE my Raddlock, I also have trouble sometimes when I "run out of room" when manipulating the proprietary tool forward. My hope is that Radd will send me the "GEN II" tool when he perfects it. If he does (PM me Radd!), I'll buy 3 more!!!!!!:D

sbjmg
03-18-2008, 1:38 PM
jumbopanda,

If Chem1B is organic chemistry, my wife is 3 years into her PHD in the number one ranked institute right now, if you need any help let me know.

I currently have the JJpearl, I have yet to install it due to lack of drill press so the panda method sounds good, what do they go for and when will the new one be out?

If anyone near UTC (San Diego) has a drill press let me know...

jumbopanda
03-18-2008, 2:36 PM
jumbopanda,

If Chem1B is organic chemistry, my wife is 3 years into her PHD in the number one ranked institute right now, if you need any help let me know.

I currently have the JJpearl, I have yet to install it due to lack of drill press so the panda method sounds good, what do they go for and when will the new one be out?

If anyone near UTC (San Diego) has a drill press let me know...

Thanks for the offer! I will probably have some mag locks made next week, I'll let you know then.

pbrand
03-18-2008, 2:50 PM
I have one of each (RL & BB) & can't make up my mind. So, I just switch them out every other month, or so. Whenever I get a wild hair up my arse.:p However, as much as I LUUUUVE my Raddlock, I also have trouble sometimes when I "run out of room" when manipulating the proprietary tool forward. My hope is that Radd will send me the "GEN II" tool when he perfects it. If he does (PM me Radd!), I'll buy 3 more!!!!!!:D

I agree. I like the looks of the Radd, but i dislike its functionality. I use a flat head as my removal tool. The one mine came with does not work and always slips out. I would like to see a new tool released soon. I just ordered a JJ Pearl just incase though.

shark92651
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks like Radd has been listening to his customers and is shipping a new and improved model already

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1082017

DrunkSkunk
09-29-2008, 7:04 AM
jumbopanda