PDA

View Full Version : SU-16 gas piston loose

MotoGuy
03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Last night I decided to clean my su-16, which I haven't shoot in several years. Durring the disassembly I found that the gas piston was loose, and I could unscrew it from the bolt carrier by hand :eek:.

Do you think i can just tighten it with some red (or blue) locktite? Any idea on the torque specs for the piston?

Ugly Dwarf
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Last night I decided to clean my su-16, which I haven't shoot in several years. Durring the disassembly I found that the gas piston was loose, and I could unscrew it from the bolt carrier by hand :eek:.

Do you think i can just tighten it with some red (or blue) locktite? Any idea on the torque specs for the piston?

Call Kel-Tec and have them fix it for you.

I had an issue with the piston rod being loose on my SU (note, it only rotated ~1/8"). I called them and they asked me to send my stripped carrier and piston rod back to them. They sent me a complete NEW assembly. The new bolt even cleared up some FTF / FTE issues I'd seen.

While it doesn't speak well for the quality control at KT, it does speak well for their service. I read about this issue at the KTOG site, which got me to look at mine.

Iknownot
03-17-2008, 2:02 PM
Yeah, send it in. (just the bolt carrier). They'll send you back a properly staked one that does not move.

I'd also check the back of your receiver where it folds for any cracks.

If you were firing your SU with the bolt carrier loose on the piston rod, there's a good chance that you beat the back of your receiver and it may be cracked.

If so, you're going to have to mail the whole rifle into K-T for a replacement receiver.

Good luck.

railroader
03-17-2008, 5:02 PM
Mine was loose too. I just used blue locktite. It seems to hold. Mark

LECTRIKHED
03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
dont fire it loose. It will likely break the receiver.

Rabidmonkey777
04-16-2008, 7:23 PM
I had a loose bolt, and didnt even notice it cracked my reciever until i took in home from the range to clean it. But Kel tec fixed it for free of course, but then I had issues getting my rifle back from UPS, becuase I was not over 21 so i couldent even sign for my own rifle that i bought legaly in the state of california!!!!

Andruski
04-16-2008, 8:05 PM
It sucks that it happens. But send it back, they will do you right.