PDA

View Full Version : Can someone else with a Noveske N4 please check something for me?

Adonlude
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
So I picked up my N4 this weekend but not without a little frustration at the gun shop. The guy who owns the store was not comfortable with only the upper and lower being seperated and decided to remove the pistol grip, collapsable stock, and for some reason the entire trigger group.

Upon getting to the store he brings me all the parts but forgets the pistol grip. I inform him and he brings me a cheapo stock grip. I tell him it was a Tango Down grip and he finds it for me, ok, honest mistake. I inspect the gun and find a big scratch in the finish across the ring that retains the stock, obviously from him removing it. Not a huge problem for me so I don't mention it.

This is my first AR and the younger guy at the shop is nice enough to show me how to put it all back together. Turns out the owner also lost two of the springs, luckly they had spares, and luckily the younger guy offered to assemble it for me.

I got the gun home now and I just noticed a difference between the finish on the two take down pins. My rear take down pin is nicely polished and finished to perfectly match the rest of the gun's finish. The front take down pin is just an ugly unpolished unfinished steel color. Did the gun shop loose my front take down pin too?

Someone else with an N4 can you please tell me if both your take down pins nicely match the gun's finish. Also, is there anything special about the Noveske trigger group? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if I was given a different trigger group.

Thanks.

viras
03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I inspect the gun and find a big scratch in the finish across the ring that retains the stock, obviously from him removing it.

I'd be pissed to high hell over this.

Adonlude
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I'd be pissed to high hell over this.

Ya, well its a small part and it doesn't bother me enough to make a big deal of it. Now if it had been any part of the upper or lower I would have raised hell

Hopi
03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Ya, well its a small part and it doesn't bother me enough to make a big deal of it. Now if it had been any part of the upper or lower I would have raised hell

And the shop took care of the first scratch for you. Now all of the other wear and tear will be that much easier to handle.....:D

8200rpm
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
The original post is a bit disturbing, and it has nothing to do with the scratch or finish of the takedown pin.:eek:

bwiese
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM
8200rpm, I agree with you - it's disturbing for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, the dealer was a doofus....

No, he didn't need to disassemble it to the detail level....

Appears the receivers/major surfaces are all OK. Get a Birchwood Casey touchup pen. As you wrench on the rifle over time to change parts, you'll probably add more scracthes in those locations.

And if you use it other than as a safe queen, it'll get some small marks too - especially on the brass deflector.

It's a friggin' combat rifle, get over it.

viras
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
8200rpm, I agree with you - it's disturbing for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, the dealer was a doofus....

No, he didn't need to disassemble it to the detail level....

Appears the receivers/major surfaces are all OK. Get a Birchwood Casey touchup pen. As you wrench on the rifle over time to change parts, you'll probably add more scracthes in those locations.

And if you use it other than as a safe queen, it'll get some small marks too - especially on the brass deflector.

Yeah, but it's the Porsche of Combat Rifles.

And I wouldn't wanna get a brand new Porsche all dinged up by the dealer before I had a chance to put a few dings in her myself. :D:D Ya know?

I just hate it when people disrespect other peoples' expensive toys...

Adonlude
03-17-2008, 1:33 PM

People spend $2k on Noveske for the excellent quality and beautiful fit and finish. How silly of me to care what condition mine comes in. :no:

Are you going into combat with your rifles? I never plan on going into combat with this rifle so I dont see why I should be expected to treat it like I am.

bwiese
03-17-2008, 3:32 PM
People spend $2k on Noveske for the excellent quality and beautiful fit and finish.

Originally, people spent $2K+ on Noveske for the excellent barrels and operational reliability.

Now the tax refund customers are coming in.

If someone offered to scratch my upper receiver but would install an N4 bbl on it, I'd call it a good deal!

8200rpm
03-17-2008, 9:59 PM
I can't be of any assistance regarding the finish of a N4 front pivot pin; I purchased my N4 as an upper for my registered Bushmaster. If it makes you feel any better, the front pivot pin on my Bushmaster is grayer and rougher than the rear take down pin. AFAIK, there is nothing special about the N4 trigger group... probably a CMT LPK.

You and the dealer should have worked out what configuration he would be comfortable with BEFORE you ordered it. I guess he was uncomfortable taking possession of a complete lower with a collapsible stock, pistol grip, open mag well, and the numbers 5.56mm engraved on the side.

The dealer I use for OLL explicitly explains in what configuration he wants to receive them in... stripped, BB/P50 fixed-mag installed, or MMG/fixed stock.

Once you put a couple hundred rounds through your fixed-mag Noveske, you'll forget all about the little scratch and the finish of the pivot pin.;)

ar15barrels
03-17-2008, 10:46 PM

I dropped my unloaded Benelli M190 off the table last weekend while transistioning to my handgun because I slammed the shotgun down so hard that it bounced...

I was not too concerned with this except that I had to clear out the leaves from the rear sight before the next time I shot it.

Scratches happen.
The key is to have guns of significant quality where rough use will not be a concern.
I have no concern with my competetion guns: a Glock, a Benelli & a registered AW Bushmaster.
All have been worked over extensively and used enough that they have honest wear.

Casual_Shooter
03-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I'll check my pins when I get home and let you know. :) I don't remember them being different.

Adonlude
03-18-2008, 1:08 PM
I'll check my pins when I get home and let you know. :) I don't remember them being different.

Thanks much!

xrMike
03-18-2008, 1:25 PM
And if you use it other than as a safe queen, it'll get some small marks too - especially on the brass deflector.Even those marks can be avoided by taking a piece of sticky-backed black velcro (the soft side with the loops, not the hooks) and cutting out a piece the same size as the front face of the deflector, and sticking it on there.

No more brass marks. Plus it gets rid of most of the dents in your case mouths, if you're into reloading.

Yeah, I'm weird that way.

Adonlude
03-18-2008, 4:09 PM
Even those marks can be avoided by taking a piece of sticky-backed black velcro (the soft side with the loops, not the hooks) and cutting out a piece the same size as the front face of the deflector, and sticking it on there.

No more brass marks. Plus it gets rid of most of the dents in your case mouths, if you're into reloading.

Yeah, I'm weird that way.

Ahhh, I was wondering what that big piece of metal sticking out was for, its a brass deflector. I am such an AR15 noob. Excellent tip which I will definitely use.

Diablo
03-18-2008, 4:17 PM
I would've been pissed. If I pay extra for quality, I want quality. If I want scratches on my rifle....I want to scratch it. If not why buy a brand new rifle?:shrug:
You waited too long. You should've said something then and there; too late now.

J_Rock
03-18-2008, 4:31 PM
Get some aluminum black...

Adonlude
03-18-2008, 5:39 PM
I would've been pissed. If I pay extra for quality, I want quality. If I want scratches on my rifle....I want to scratch it. If not why buy a brand new rifle?:shrug:

Like I said, the scratch doesn't really bother me since it is an inconspicuous part. I'm guessing the guy only makes like $50 on this semi risky service that he performs for those of us that like to walk the fine line of the law with these weapons. I don't feel that it is worth making a big fuss and cutting into his profits over a minor scratch on a minor part.

I only mentioned the scratch, missing springs, grip confusion, and take down pin as a combination of things that left me generally feeling that a lack of organization and a bit of carelessness was used in handling my Noveske. The fact the store spent the time to walk me step by step through the assembly process placated me and made up for whatever annoyance I felt at the time.

Only later after noticing that the front take down pin looked way different from the rear did I decide to post here to determine if it was the right one. I only wish to determine whether or not I was supposed to get a front pin that matches the finish of the gun like the rear pin. I want the nice components that I paid top dollar for, even if it is just a silly take down pin.

Diablo
03-18-2008, 5:40 PM
Then be happy and and go shoot it....

ar15barrels
03-18-2008, 6:09 PM

Lack of scratches is not a sign of quality.
It's a sign of careful control of the parts during assembly.

Which would you rather have, a pristine Vulcan or a scratched up Noveske?

CrippledPidgeon
03-18-2008, 6:34 PM
I think that I'd personally be rather upset about buying an expensive rifle and it not being in Brand New condition when I receive it. That's kinda like buying a brand new car and find out that it's been keyed.

8200rpm
03-18-2008, 7:37 PM
That's kinda like buying a brand new car and find out that it's been keyed.

No. It's more like buying a new car and worrying about the finish on a lug nut.

It's a Noveske, not a Perazzi. After one range session, he won't care.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/067.jpg