View Full Version : i want to build a ca legal ak

03-17-2008, 2:27 AM
i finished my ar and now i want an ak. can someone tell me where to start? whats the cheapest/best way to go about it?

03-17-2008, 2:46 AM

This has been asked a LOT. Some searching would serve you well.

Also, the 2nd question is not exactly kosher. Cheapest is usually not the best. There's best and then there's cheapest.

03-17-2008, 3:14 AM
thank you. the site says if i buy the flat, it can go directly to my house. how do i go about getting it registered?

03-17-2008, 4:54 AM
You dont' have to register long guns.

If this is to be your first and only build you would be better off buying a finished NDS receiver from one of the vendors here, building from a flat takes a considerable investment in tooling, time, and patience (one build wouldn't be worth buying the tools IMO). Building on an NDS can be done with a minimum of tools, is much faster, and the quality will probably be better depending on your metal working ability.

If you insist on building from a flat I suggest you try to get into the upcoming build party held by a member here, if you can get in you will have guidance and use of tooling.

03-17-2008, 5:13 AM
Flats are not firearms, otherwise all air conditioning ducts would have to be registered with ATF.

It's recommend to voluntarily register your builds, but mostly if you build pistols. I would recommend considering all AKs you build to be pistols for future conversions.

Two pieces of advice:
Try to go to the Sacramento AK build
Only do rivet builds, skip the screw builds.

03-17-2008, 5:32 AM
Skip the build altogether and just buy a Saiga for $269!