View Full Version : question about oll's

03-16-2008, 11:30 PM
im new to the forum and this is my first post i've been reading your post about them including the pdf someone posted hoffman case important notice.. im thinking about building a a2 style ar15 with bullet button mag with a2 stock and 20 inch barrel. but am curious how i won be jailed for owning it and what to do if i got one and got caught by cop with it. i never heard of discount gun mart before and im in sd where are they located? and how many people in sd own these oll rifles?

03-16-2008, 11:35 PM
:xeno: :gunsmilie:

03-16-2008, 11:37 PM
More and more people are starting to own OLL's, I can't remember the last time someone with a CA compliant OLL rifle got falsely arrested, I see allot of people at the range with nothing but OLL AR's, just know the laws and keep a copy of the SB23 page.

03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
:xeno: :gunsmilie:

I must agree...

Or at least do the "newbie thread" (from my signature) first.

03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
To shorten my answer and give you the short answer, no one has ever been convicted of possessing or manufactering an AW when they built an OLL with a bullet button. We aren't in jail and neither are the dealers who support us.

03-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome gir007. Check out http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818 for more info on the legality of OLL. Discount Gun is at 1510 Morena Boulevard.
Happy Reading!

03-16-2008, 11:44 PM
30,000 OLL's were imported in the first year alone. We're probably getting up to 100,000 guns. To give you an idea, we have something like 100,000 unique visitors a month to this site.

You need to be able to explain how your rifle is legal, but it is legal. Also, if you're going with a fixed stock and a 20", you might want to think about getting a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider and going with a Monsterman Grip. There is really 0 risk with the Monsterman build as long as your receiver is off list. There is a slightly higher (maybe 0.1% chance of a problem) risk on a BB build, but it is quite legal under the letter of the law.

03-17-2008, 12:12 AM
thanks guys, and i will be sure to check prices on oll at dgm. i have been reading for like the past 5 hrs lol. i see pics o you guys having forward grips flash and collapsable stocks. i would like the keep the pistol grip. thats the only part i care i was going to put a muzzle break on it being i like the looks better. but how uncomfy or comfy is monster grip to hold? it seems so weird to me. but i take it if i had bullet mag kit and only had the pistol grip on it i would assume i should be ok? btw you guys seem to have alot of nice toys..lol

p.s. i currently own a bushmaster carbon 15. i like it just want a a2 styled ar15.

03-17-2008, 12:23 AM

^^ helpful and picturish

03-18-2008, 4:21 PM
ok i think im going to build one. a m16a2 design plain with muzzle break no flash and bb. its going to be a stag lower ill probly get rra 2 stage kit. i think its going to be 850-900ish to build they said they cn order me a a3 bushmaster complet upper for 500. is bushmaster uppers decent? although i dont know why im asking since i own their carbon 15. and if i wanted to build piece by piece what site should i order? im having trouble finding places.

03-18-2008, 4:54 PM
If you're building an A2-style rifle, why not get detachable mags by using a MMG and ditching the flash hider? Function over small penalty in form.

Here's a long post I just did in another thread...

RRA is a tier-2 manufacturer. Only Colt is Tier-1, LMT comes close, some variations of custom builders (CMMG and Noveske) do, too.

That being said - Del-Ton & other bottom-feeders are as low as you can go.

You don't need to spend a ton of money on an AR upper & parts, but the quality difference at $500 and $800 is much more than double.

A couple of things to note about that DTI kit - trigger, no chrome lining in the barrel, and built with random parts by random manufacturers. That Stag uses the same barrel doesn't mean that somehow that barrel is good. It just means Stag isn't very choosy, either.

My advice is this - don't bother with a kit. It forces you in a box for parts selection and gives the illusion of easier. It's not.

Here is ALL you need to build a Cali-Legal AR (along with my advice for stuff):

Immediately DROS the lower... now... today... the rest will come along during your 10day wait.

You'll need:
1.) Lower
2.) Lower parts kit
3.) Complete upper
4.) Sights/optics
5.) Buttstock kit (stock, tube, spring, buffer)
6.) Compliance parts (bullet button or MMG)
7.) Magazine
8.) LOTS of ammo.

Here are my suggestions - I'd push you toward a Recce build:
1.) Build a 16" (or maybe slightly longer), with a medium or lightweight barrel contour. It will let you get good accuracy and be able to carry it.
2.) Get a mid-length gas system (unless you meet/exceed 18")
3.) Get a 2-stage Rock River Arms trigger with your LPK. It's well worth the extra $80. My personal favorite LPK is Armalite, but save money by getting the combo NM RRA kit (RRA is my 2nd choice for LPK)
4.) Get a Daniel Defense, SWS, or LaRue railed handguard - if you can afford it - and put it over a mid-length low profile gas block - looks cleaner and will allow you to mount a flip front sight on the rail with a longer sight radius. If you can't afford a free float rail, get a standard fixed FSB with a plastic handguard. It's cheaper and functions well.
5.) Get a flat-top upper. I'd go with the following upper/barrel manuf's (best down - all are very good): Colt, LMT/Noveske (tie), CMMG, RRA. The CMMG is probably the best value with the most options, but Colt and LMT build better products. ONLY Colt and FNH are actually mil-spec Tier-1 manufacturers. If money is no object both LaRue and VLTOR make some very, very nice uppers. Skies the limit on barrels, from standard USGI stuff, to White Oak Armament, to Douglas or Krieger... Pick the best quality upper and barrel you can afford. Get M4 feed ramps, extended. If possible, get an enhanced bolt, this makes a big difference in reliability. An enhanced or M15 carrier is a good choice, too.
6.) Pick your brake or flash hider. This is a pretty personal choice. The best FH: Smith Vortex. The FSC556 is pretty hot right now. Brakes have many options. Keep in mind neither really do much - the .223 is limited in recoil and how often do you shoot at night? For cost savings a standard, cheap A2 is just fine.
7.) If you have money to spend, get an LMT SOPMOD buttstock kit. Magpul UBR, VLTOR EMOD and Magpul CTR are the next choices, in that order. Price pretty much follows the quality there. The best cost/quality point is with the CTR. If you can't handle the price on that, the RRA collapsible will do. If possible, get a Mil-Spec carbine buffer tube. It will allow easier future upgrades.
8.) If you have money, pick an aftermarket grip. The MIAD is the hot one now. TangoDown, Ergo, Hogue etc all make their own, too. You don't need to change from the standard in the LPK, but it's nice.
9.) The best flip sights, hands down, are Troy. If cost is an issue a seller here on the boards has USGI Matechs for $55 (about 40% the Troy).
10.) Get one 10/30rd mag for pics (Magpul PMAG looks nice and functions well) and a few more 10rd C-Products + Magpul ranger plates for shooting

Other needs: Case (soft is best), sling (I prefer 2-point, 3-pt is acceptable, 1 point is stupid), optics (EOTech for 0-150yds and SPEED, ACOG for 50-400yds), ammo (anything cheap and brass cased, preferable, but Wolf runs fine - if your range allows magnetic ammo). Lastly, the Magpul winter trigger guard really finishes the look of a rifle.

Use this thread for guidance

Keep in mind that some information in that thread is out of date (be sure to look at posting date). Almost all "new information" is toward being more liberal, than conservative.

This is also a nice summary:

03-18-2008, 5:59 PM
unfortunatly i dont have alot of mone i would spend 1k max maybe 1100. and i priced the bush upper with rst of parts came to 850ish. with bullet button. unless you know how i can get nice stuff for that price and tell me. i could build a very nice one if i sold off half my current collection but am not ready to get rid of 1903a3, garand, and what not or maybe i can sell the carbon15 to my friend hehe hen i could :P

03-18-2008, 6:42 PM
strong the dark side is. check out the thread about an ak build party here if you want to see how us locals feel. beware though, building one rifle is like eating one potato chip!

03-18-2008, 7:09 PM
motorhead i know what you mean but my end just getting firearms in itself. ive only been able to own firearms for 5 yrs now ive already collected alot. i dont have much money what money i do get is sent on firearms. :D im wanting a a2 only cuz the bushmaster i own is 16 inch barreled. altho seeing some of your nice tacticle carbines on this forum is tempting me to sell the carbon 15 to make a better one. but if i gett too greedy ill sell some guns to build 2nd one lol. i gotta figure out what to do with my home loaded ammo muhah. i have only reloaded 5.56 so far.

03-18-2008, 7:27 PM
im new to the forum and this is my first post i've been reading your post about them including the pdf someone posted hoffman case important notice.. im thinking about building a a2 style ar15 with bullet button mag with a2 stock and 20 inch barrel. but am curious how i won be jailed for owning it and what to do if i got one and got caught by cop with it. i never heard of discount gun mart before and im in sd where are they located? and how many people in sd own these oll rifles?

I've seen a couple people shooting Off-list stuff at local ranges. I had an OLL but sold it to DGM. Discount gun mart is on Morena blvd .. http://www.discountgunmart.com .. There's always LEOs in DGM, so Im guessing they might have some exposure to off-list stuff.

03-18-2008, 9:22 PM
ok its mostly using cmmg stuff if i went full out, with a cmmg 16m4 upper with railed gas block, cmmg vltor reciever w/ shell defl and bolt assist, mid 4 rail handgrip, stag lower and 2 stage rra lower kit. it will cost without tax and dros 1500.00. if i were to get the stimulous check from irs like the letter i just got from irs saying im getting one. subtract 600 from that leaves 900 which is kinda my limit in first place. but thats all without tax. its 775 if i go with normal lower trigger kit from rra. and if i wanted to go a2 rifle route like the one i shot in army. i can get it for 825 and after check 225. btw check is not garenteed but as a what if. also it depends on if i sell my carbon 15 or whatever. but anyways done with rambling is that a good setup? and price? or can i do better or for a better price? i also wouldnt mind finding good places to order from. i cant find a place that has one or all things i need. anyways any info on my idea will help.btw prices was including bullet button.

03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Here's my suggestion:

CMMG 16” M10 Mid-Length MedCon Upper with mid-length gas
A3 receiver
Full-auto carrier
EGRESS bolt upgrade
Extended/polished feed ramps
F-marked FSB
standard handguard
rear flip sight (your choice - Matech from paladin here for $55 or Troy for $140, or......)
A2 hider
Price: $565 (+$55 or $140)
OLL + DROS + TAX = ~$200
RRA NM LPK = $180
Complete A2 Buttstock: $60
Bullet Button: $45
Total: $1050

BUIS adds another $55-140
Free Float rails: another $200-350

Shopping around you might be able to find the LPK RRA NM kit for ~$140 or $150, if I remember correctly.