PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?....

moulton
03-16-2008, 9:43 PM
....That does not like the Garand/m-14/m-1a rifle system?
I had the chance to shoot one and found it to be too long and weigh too much..... I must be spoiled by my ar-15 :rolleyes:

Mssr. Eleganté
03-16-2008, 9:46 PM
No, you are not the only one. Most of the ladies I know prefer the AR15 as well. ;)

Lon Moer
03-16-2008, 9:47 PM
I love FALs. :cool:

Ugly Dwarf
03-16-2008, 9:49 PM
No, you are not the only one. Most of the ladies I know prefer the AR15 as well. ;)

Ouch!

redcliff
03-16-2008, 9:56 PM
Not the only real main battle rifle, FAL's and HK91's deserve their spot also. Yes they're heavier..they need to be, they're not shooting a varmint round :)
The weight helps soak up the recoil of their much more powerful round. Try shooting 100 rounds of .308 through an AR15 weight rifle and tell me how your shoulder feels the next day :P

AR15's are not "Battle Rifles". Technically they're not even "Assault Rifles". Their great, handy rifles, and I like em a lot, but they're not in the same league as a battle rifle.

SemiAutoSam
03-16-2008, 9:57 PM
Ditto, I realise that the M1A and the rest of that series are the American made large bore battle rifles but then the Johnson didn't get awarded the contract so its what we have the most of here.

But that does not mean we cant buy the FN FAL or the HK design rifles.

The HK and FAL mags are real cheap that's one good reason to use one or both of those platforms.

I feel more at home with the FN Rifle in my hands not that I haven't owned a few M1A's as I have but they just don't work for me.

And then the FN Rifle is also not a cheap way to go if your on a budget the M1A may be the better way to go as the FN Rifle that I'm talking about is in the area of 3500-6000 depending on condition.

I love FALs. :cool:

AJAX22
03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
They're good guns, I want to own one of each some day.

Right now I can't afford to feed the poodle shooters, so I try to stay away from .308 semi auto's

JeffM
03-16-2008, 10:34 PM

:rofl2:

Yea, it may be an outdated design, but I still think the M1, M14/M1a, and M1 Carbine are sexy.

caldude
03-16-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a Garand because I'm a WWII buff, and they get a lot of hype, however, it's probably one of my least favorite rifles to shoot. I just picked up an FN49 (grandfather to the FAL), and I much prefer shooting that over the Garand. I have about 8 WWII era rifles, and the M1 Carbine is hands down the most fun to shoot, with the K31 and FN49 coming in 2nd and 3rd. If I had to reach out and touch someone, I'd pick the K31.

I don't have an AR or M14/M1a so I can't compare those.

joe_sun
03-16-2008, 10:41 PM
The M1 is my favorite rifle to shoot. I prefer it over the AK, AR and FAL. I'm saving for a PTR-91 so we'll see if I like it over that one as well.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/jsotelo5150/repark_sight2.jpg

moulton
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a Garand because I'm a WWII buff, and they get a lot of hype, however, it's probably one of my least favorite rifles to shoot. I just picked up an FN49 (grandfather to the FAL), and I much prefer shooting that over the Garand. I have about 8 WWII era rifles, and the M1 Carbine is hands down the most fun to shoot, with the K31 and FN49 coming in 2nd and 3rd. If I had to reach out and touch someone, I'd pick the K31.

I don't have an AR or M14/M1a so I can't compare those.

I would have to agree the M1 carbine is a blast to shoot, light, compact, accurate and little recoil, perfect rabbit/coyote gun. :cool:

I think that is the difference between me and some of you guys, I like light compact weapons that do not weigh much and are very accurate.

Solidmch
03-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Love them! Have three 22", 18", and Socom II 16". I also have 4 AR's... Still like M1-A's better. Just cost more to shoot

Bucc
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
They are all good but the M1A would be my choice of the 3 if I knew a fight was coming.

aplinker
03-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Comparing an M1A to an AR-15 is apples and oranges

You'd have to say AR in 308. Those are just as heavy and they lack the normal rifle feel of the M1A/M1 G, etc.

Do you not shoot shotguns? Other standard stocked rifles?

Mezcalfud
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I love my Garands! I have been competing in the CMP Western Games for the past 3 years and plan for a Camp Perry trip next. A line full of Garands is a blast. Garands are fun, collectible and have history. Wouldn't trade any of them for anything else.

rue
03-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I like them all! :D

FortCourageArmory
03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
The M-1/M-14/M-1A system is a great rifle system. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot (big, heavy gun and gas-operation soaks up recoil). Would one of them be my first choice if I wanted a "battle rifle"? No. The FAL feels better to me in that catagory. If you ask me what I'd carry in the bush (meaning relatively modest-ranged encouters), it'd be the AR platform hands down. Lighter weight rifle and able to carry more ammo for the same weight.

Comparing a .308 rifle to a .223 is like asking if the jet ski goes faster than the Porsche. Both useful, but hardly comparable.

Patriot
03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
I would have to agree the M1 carbine is a blast to shoot, light, compact, accurate and little recoil, perfect rabbit/coyote gun. :cool:

I think that is the difference between me and some of you guys, I like light compact weapons that do not weigh much and are very accurate.

LOL. Three posts talking about the M1 Carbine in a thread originally about Garand/M1A v AR15. I love my carbine, but the M1 Carbine is to the AR as the AR is to the Garand. Lighter, handier, less powerful ammo.

Nobody's mentioned the 7.62x39 yet. I think a .30 caliber, 122gr bullet falls nicely between a 150gr .30 caliber and a .223 at 55/60gr :p

RedDawn
03-16-2008, 11:28 PM
M1A's are just nice looking rifles, battlefield provened, and just plain nice shooters. But for some reason, I don't see myself buying one anytime soon. Probably because the guys I shoot with already have M1A's.:rolleyes:

draconianruler
03-17-2008, 12:02 AM
They just don't do it for me. I will take my PTR91 and FAL anyday over an M1A. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion :D

deldgeetar
03-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I'd take an M1 over an AR any day. Moderate recoil, extremely accurate, reliable, and an extremely powerful and plentiful round. A target hiding behind cover may as well have none if you have an M1. On the other hand, if you're shooting .223 he'll probably be ok. Furthermore, 30-06 Greek surplus is cheaper than .223 right now.:D

Army
03-17-2008, 2:26 AM
Mark another for the FAL. Just as sexy as a gun can get :)

The M1 had its day, as did the M14, but the battlefield has changed and these big heavy guns are outclassed by the fast and in-close pace of modern war. Don't get me wrong, I love and honor the great history and achievements of both rifles (well, much less so for the M14), but it was technology of times past, based on warfare standards of times even longer passed.

The M16 is very much an assault rifle, firing an intermediate power round from a more compact platform than a full battle rifle. Downrange results are still just as deadly as its big brother's, but that's where their versatility stops. Shooting through walls or barriers is now accomplished by very portable devices only dreamed about during the "wood gun" era. We also have direct radio access to 120mm mortars or 155mm artillery at the push of a commo button. Air support is always overhead or nearby, and never too busy for you.

Wood guns had their romantic era, just like white horses and Ostrich plumes in hats. Gimme my plastic wundergunn any day :D

Cardinal Sin
03-17-2008, 8:34 PM
I like the weight of the rifle . . .but when you flip the fun switch and dump the mag you quickly realize that the damn thing is suddenly muzzle lite. Learned that I had to lean into it. But for the civie M1A types the semi auto works quite well with the weight of the rifle. I like the fact that I can top load/strip-clip the mag buy simply holding back the bolt and it is a .30 round that isnt easily deflected or disturbed buy wind gusts as the .223 round.

docsmileyface
03-17-2008, 8:40 PM
I love shooting my Garand, but for some reason it thinks the best place to dump it's expended clips is the very top of my head. Whenever I hear that pling I know I'm also going to hear a hollow thunk along with it as it bounces off my melon.

aplinker
03-17-2008, 8:46 PM
That's a feature.

It's the reload sensor for the deaf. :D

I love shooting my Garand, but for some reason it thinks the best place to dump it's expended clips is the very top of my head. Whenever I hear that pling I know I'm also going to hear a hollow thunk along with it as it bounces off my melon.

mltrading
03-20-2008, 6:47 PM
The more and more AR-15 are built with gas piston system. I will get some LMT gas-piston upper halves soon.

Gas piston systems are more reliable than the gas system of original AR platform. That's why I love M14 platform so much!:D

Fjold
03-20-2008, 7:19 PM
I bought an M1 from the DCM in 1981 or 82 and owned it for exactly 20 rounds and sold it for 4 times what I paid for it.

I don't need 11-12 Lbs of 30.06. I'm already big and clumsy so I don't need my guns to be like that.

Josh3239
03-20-2008, 7:36 PM

Moulton, I 100% agree with you there. I definetly prefer an AR15 over any rifle anyday. I haven't found a rifle I like more than the AR and doubt I ever will. But the M1 and M1a have their place (in my safe in the near future :D), they are great rifles; accurate, reliable, powerful, and are great for WW2 and Vietnam buffs like me.

WINGEDSWORD
03-20-2008, 7:38 PM
I have 2 M1a's and one AR. The AR is great! As long as I'm shooting Poodles!
Sure you can carry less ammo for the big boys, but that's why there is such a
term as fire discipline! Also the 165 grain bullet won't be easily deflected!