PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on choosing a RRA 20" or 24" varmint upper

larryb
03-16-2008, 9:20 PM
I need some deciding on a RRA varmint upper.

This will mostly be a range rifle(bench) with some outdoor varmint hunting from time to time. The local range has a silhouette area with targets from about 150 yards out to 500 yards.

My build will consist of

CMMG lower
RRA 2 stage trigger
A2 buttstock
Either a MM grip or a BB(have not decided yet on this)
Bipod

Scope is up in the air at the moment but this is the one i plan buying at the moment
-Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmaster mil-dot with side focus.

Not to sure if i should go with the 20" or 24" RRA varmint upper. I'll be mainly using off the shelf match grade ammo when shooting for precision and use cheaper ammo when plinking. I am leaning towards the 20" but am wondering if i should consider the 24" for a little extra accuracy or velocity??

So which upperwould you choose?

damon1272
03-16-2008, 9:32 PM
I have close to the same rifle. SWFA has the ill reticle 6.5x20 Monarch for 400. These are the olders style scope with lens made in Japan. A much better scope than the Buck Master, just bought my second one a week ago. great scope for the money.
As to whether or not you should go 20 or 24 is your choice. I personally feel that a 24 in bull barrel is alot of wieght to hang off the front of teh receiver. I went with the 20" RRA upper with 1/8 rifling. It has been very accurate with 55 grain rounds. My father who is a much better bench rest shooter than I shot a 1/4 group with the rifle with the RRA 2 stage trigger.
I dumped the trigger and bought a Timney. Worth the money on a better trigger especially for bench rest. I would also look at the Gieselle but that is close to $300.
I too went back and forth over the 20-24 question but in looking at things the 24 is just not needed for accuracy.

aplinker
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
ack I typed a long reply but it got deleted

Suffice to say this:

500yds is well within the capability of any .223 barrel, only as you for 600+ does velocity really matter. Shorter and stiffer is better for in close accuracy.

The flip side is weight helps with accuracy as it contributes to stability. If you want to really push the limits of .223, you'll want the extra length, as well.

I have a 24" Bull build with a Timney 3#. It occasionally wears the scope you mention, too (good value). At 600yds with 55gr .223 and a 200yd zero the bullet drops into the thick part of the reticle line (running at 12X - where the mil-dots function) if I don't set the scope to the dope values. In other words it's kinda tough to do holdovers.

larryb
03-17-2008, 2:33 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think i'll stick with a 20" barrel. Now i need to decide between the RRA Varmint or the RRA Predator upper. :)

Solidsnake87
03-17-2008, 3:54 PM
If you are going to do any hunting, or are considering the possibility of hunting then go with the predator persuit upper half. I used to have a 24" bull-barrelled upper half on my rifle. It was wonderful for bench shooting and hardly kicked at all. Unfortunately, it was heavy as sin and not practical for hunting. The predator persuit offers a light weight 1:8 match barrel in liu of the heavier bull barrel of the varminter uppers. It handles well and is incredibly accurate for bench shooting. The thinner profile barrel is also a more attractive look for a varminet too, at least in my opinion.

apbrian112
03-17-2008, 4:07 PM
+1 for the predator pursuit if you're gonna be shooting anywhere other than a bench... also, if you have pre-ban hi-caps i would go with a MMG, they're simply awesome and as for me, i've used them for about a year now and a regular pistol grip setup feels a little weird. go figure ( i used a m16a4/m4 for 4 years in the army)

larryb
03-17-2008, 4:37 PM
Yea the predator seems like an ideal set up along with a MM grip. Glad to hear you like yours. It looks kinda awkward but most users seem to like the MM grip. I have a bunch of pre ban 30rd & 20rd mags that i can not use with my current AR M4 style configuration.

aplinker
03-17-2008, 4:51 PM
Yea the predator seems like an ideal set up along with a MM grip. Glad to hear you like yours. It looks kinda awkward but most users seem to like the MM grip. I have a bunch of pre ban 30rd & 20rd mags that i can not use with my current AR M4 style configuration.

Only 10's and 20's fit well if you're shooting off a bipod... I find it more comfortable to use a BB and PG. If you're shooting precision, you're not really rapid firing. The 10rds don't bother me.

damon1272
03-17-2008, 8:57 PM
The one thing about the heavy barrel is that the butt end of teh rifle is light and I found this hampered me shooting off of tall bi pods. I went ahead and installed a 3.5lbs but wieght on my rifle. It balances the rifle out well. The whole rig w/scope and ammo wieght about 15 lbs. A little heavy but increased my hits on praroe dogs by quite a bit.

Hoop
03-17-2008, 9:12 PM
Can't go wrong with an RRA 20". I have a varmint and a standard A4 upper, they are both tack drivers. I prefer the standard A4 since it's lighter, however it gets hot far faster than the bull barreled upper does.

If you're only doing bench shooting, go bull you won't regret it.