View Full Version : DROS question

03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Less a question, more a rant.

I thought that a CDL, but not a proof of residence (utility bill, etc) was necessary for registering long guns, unlike handguns which need both. But when I bought an M1 Garand (with a recent build receiver, so not C&R) through an FFL two weeks ago, they said that they needed my proof of residence. That was a bit of a problem because I didn't bring any, and my car is registered to my mom (but the addy is the same). I didn't need the proof of residence when I bought my 10/22 and my Howa, so I told them that. They insisted that I needed the CDL and a utility bill/car registration/etc for all firearm registration.

Okay, well I'm a college student, so all the utility bills for my permanent residence go to my parents, my car's registered to my mom for insurance reasons, so I had to get a letter from her stating that I hadn't changed my residence. That's no problem, I've done it before for a handgun purchase. In any rate, I forwarded that letter a couple days later (iirc).

When I called them up on Friday asking when I could pick up the firearm, they hadn't yet uploaded the DROS to DOR because they wanted to make sure that the letter I sent was okay, and said I'd have to wait another 10 days. That got me a bit upset, because I've NEVER had an FFL delay sending the DROS just because of a lack of proof of residence. I just had to act like I was cool with it because I there's no point in getting mad at a person who's in possession of the firearm that I've bought and paid for, cuz they could just not submit the DROS again.

Every time I've bought a handgun, other FFLs would submit the DROS that day, and told me that I needed to bring the proof of residence when I came by to pick it up. I've never had an FFL tell me that I need a proof of residence for long guns, and then not submit the DROS until a week and a half after I send them the proof of residence because they needed to "check with the DOR to make sure that the letter I forwarded to them was okay."

So what should have happened with that transfer? Did I really need to submit a proof of residence? Are FFLs supposed to wait until they get the proof of residence?

03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Unless the address on your CDL is a P.O. Box or it doesn't match what you wrote on the 4473, no POR is needed for a long gun DROS.

It would be up to the FFL if he/she is willing to submit DROS without all the paperwork in hand.

Find a new FFL.

03-16-2008, 1:12 PM
Yeah, only if CDL is out of date should you need something else.

Move to another FFL for future purchases.

03-16-2008, 1:18 PM
Some shops like the shop I bought a lower in requires a POR if your ID does not match your physical address. I'm assuming it is only for lowers. My id had my old address from a couple years ago, and obviously I could not put that address down so I brought in my vehicle reg as proof of residency.

03-16-2008, 1:28 PM
Yea, I don't think I'll use that FFL again (my first time with them anyway), but they were the ones selling the Garand in the first place :/

03-16-2008, 9:00 PM

If your DL dosent have your current address you need to have the new address written on the back or on that little brown card stating change of address.

A copy of both is made and this is sufficient.

Also, rifles/shotguns are not registered to you as none of the information about the long arm is sent to the DOJ. It is only written down on the federal 4473 form. All the DOJ knows is how many long arms were purchased.