PDA

View Full Version : AR Buffer tube question

AngelDecoys
03-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Sigh. Couldn't find this with search. Maybe its never been asked. :rolleyes:
I'm looking to rebuild a lower (putting in a comp trigger as well) and wondering if anyone knows anything about this buffer system.

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/AR-Restor_Hydraulic_Recoil_Buf_P220C2.cfm

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/fullstockbuffer.jpg

Enidine AR-Restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer. This is the best buffer on the market today! Reduce felt recoil, improve accuracy, reduce fire rate, suppress bolt bounce, and protect your valuable optics with this simple drop-in replacement. Enidine hydraulic recoil buffers have been employed in military applications to reduce recoil, improve accuracy and increase reliability. Examples include the soft mount for the M2 machine gun and the M249 SAW. Tests have shown the buffer to produce a reduced rate of fire by approximatly 200 rounds per minute. The Enidine AR-Restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer comes with a full 1 year warranty.

1. Does anybody have experience with these?
2. Will there be a noticable difference between this and a stock buffer? (Using grendel, and .223 uppers).
3. Can this type of buffer system be used with an ACE skeleton stock?
4. Not wishing to waste the $90, over the $10 just to spend money, curious if people think this is wasting money, or worth the upgrade?

Thanks

FlyingPen
03-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I would just get the 9mm buffer for $25. Less parts to break.

C.G.
03-16-2008, 1:11 PM
Since there is hardly any recoil with .223 and the Grendel I would go with the stock buffer; I doubt you have a full auto.

Blue
03-16-2008, 1:16 PM
My buddy ordered a bunch of these and had them delivered to my house. They're definately a neat idea but I'd buy a regular one and spend the extra cash elsewhere.

AngelDecoys
03-16-2008, 1:48 PM
Since there is hardly any recoil with .223 and the Grendel I would go with the stock buffer; I doubt you have a full auto.

Nope. No full auto. To be honest, I've shot full auto and never cared for it much. This is just a general lower I use. Just doing a little upgrading on parts. My buddy has a comp trigger and ace skeleton stock I liked, so I'm doing the same on mine. Putting a 2 stage trigger in, and the new stock.

(The buffer tube question is a lot like swapping the trigger. Some peope like the stock trigger, some upgrade if they notice a benefit.)

Just curious if anyone has experience with them and if there is a noticable difference. If the hydrolic tube is hype, and doesn't really do anthing more, I'll just pass. If someone has experience with these, and recommends them, I may have to think on it some more weighing the benefit.

Ballistic043
03-16-2008, 1:57 PM
its definitely not hype.

here's the thing; the shocks work, but ive only tried them on a few shotguns. (mesa tactical sells the enidine shock with their shotgun AR stock adaptors) Now they claim it will tame even the harshest loads up to 70 percent. my experience was relatively positive. and mesa tactical is not cheap stuff nor do they endorse cheap gear.

but im just not sure if your going to be feeling that much difference in a low recoil rifle.

Satex
03-16-2008, 2:36 PM
ARs have recoil???

AngelDecoys
03-16-2008, 3:33 PM
its definitely not hype. here's the thing; the shocks work, but ive only tried them on a few shotguns.

That is good to know. Maybe I'm overthinking this idea of the buffer upgrade for a .223. I can see the benefit with a larger round/larger recoil

but im just not sure if your going to be feeling that much difference in a low recoil rifle.

True, probably not. Hardly notice the recoil. Can''t say i've ever had a sore shoulder from shooting the stuff, and all day at that.

Was just thinking prone shots might be a little smoother. The extra $80 is probably better spent on brass, or ammo.

supersonic
03-16-2008, 4:16 PM
Like others have said above, just stick with stock. The one way I could think of (as far as these special shock-absorber type buffers being beneficial in an AR) would be with a .50 Beo. With an A2 stock filled with a NM weight & the aforementioned buffer, the perceived recoil would be tamed considerably.

ocabj
03-16-2008, 4:44 PM
The only benefit I see with these so-called "reduced recoil buffers" for non-FA ARs is the increased dwell time of a fired round. These buffers provide more resistance to the bolt during the discharge of the round. This means the bolt will remain closed longer as the bullet goes down the barrel and exits the muzzle. Theoretically, this gives longer burn time of the powder to maximize the pressure propelling the round.

David Tubb sells the carrier weight system sold under his Superior Shooting Systems company name which is meant to provide this sort of increased dwell time by adding weight to the bolt carrier.

Anyway, does this stuff actually work? Probably. Is it beneficial enough to warrant it's use? Probably not. Most of the guys I personally know that shoot High Power don't use the Tubb/SSS CWS nor a reduced recoil buffer.

C.G.
03-16-2008, 4:48 PM
Nope. No full auto. To be honest, I've shot full auto and never cared for it much. This is just a general lower I use. Just doing a little upgrading on parts. My buddy has a comp trigger and ace skeleton stock I liked, so I'm doing the same on mine. Putting a 2 stage trigger in, and the new stock.

(The buffer tube question is a lot like swapping the trigger. Some peope like the stock trigger, some upgrade if they notice a benefit.)

Just curious if anyone has experience with them and if there is a noticable difference. If the hydrolic tube is hype, and doesn't really do anthing more, I'll just pass. If someone has experience with these, and recommends them, I may have to think on it some more weighing the benefit.

As Supersonic said, the enidine would be worth it on the .50 Beowulf. I have an MGI buffer on my Grendel and my Beowulf; it made a difference on the Beowulf, waste of money on the Grendel, useless on .223 as far as I am concerned (unless full auto, maybe).
You have the right idea about a better trigger, especially if you have a long range Grendel. I put a two stage Chip McCormick into mine and that did make a lot of difference. In fact I may pony up the money to buy a Geiselle trigger for it. Also, I like ACE skeleton stocks, my 5.56 and Beowulf sport one, the Grendel has a PRS stock (mostly for eye relief, when extended and balance).

BTW, if you haven't done so, you should visit
http://65grendel.com/
it will give you a place to read what works and doesn't on Grendels.

C.G.
03-16-2008, 4:50 PM
ARs have recoil???

With a .50 Beowulf upper they do.

1lostinspace
03-16-2008, 5:04 PM
ARs have recoil???

:rolleyes: ha

supersonic
03-16-2008, 6:40 PM
With a .50 Beowulf upper they do.

I've yet to shoot one, but I know 3 people that own them. They all describe the recoil as "VIOLENT.":confused: Hey, CG- your taste in triggers is superb. Have you had the experience of trying a Jewell? After installing one & tuning it on a precision build, no other trigger seems to do anymore for me!. :p

Max-the-Silent
03-16-2008, 6:41 PM
Sigh. Couldn't find this with search. Maybe its never been asked. :rolleyes:
I'm looking to rebuild a lower (putting in a comp trigger as well) and wondering if anyone knows anything about this buffer system.

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/AR-Restor_Hydraulic_Recoil_Buf_P220C2.cfm

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/fullstockbuffer.jpg

Enidine AR-Restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer. This is the best buffer on the market today! Reduce felt recoil, improve accuracy, reduce fire rate, suppress bolt bounce, and protect your valuable optics with this simple drop-in replacement. Enidine hydraulic recoil buffers have been employed in military applications to reduce recoil, improve accuracy and increase reliability. Examples include the soft mount for the M2 machine gun and the M249 SAW. Tests have shown the buffer to produce a reduced rate of fire by approximatly 200 rounds per minute. The Enidine AR-Restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer comes with a full 1 year warranty.

1. Does anybody have experience with these?
2. Will there be a noticable difference between this and a stock buffer? (Using grendel, and .223 uppers).
3. Can this type of buffer system be used with an ACE skeleton stock?
4. Not wishing to waste the $90, over the $10 just to spend money, curious if people think this is wasting money, or worth the upgrade?

Thanks

Save your money. Just use a GI type buffer.

gosparx
03-16-2008, 7:02 PM
Just in support of what's been said so far, IMO if you're going to be shooting .223, spend the extra money on a nice trigger.

I have a Beowulf and have a heavy spring, weighted bolt-carrier and a hydraulic buffer-tub, 1" rubber butt-plate plus a weight inside the A2 stock... and it still kicks... but not as bad as it does if I remove all those goodies.

I pulled all the extra hi-tech stuff out and shot the gun 'stock'... OUCH... then it really kicked. I have other guns that kick worse, but ouch is still ouch!

For a .223, spend the money on a trigger or on the optics!

Unless you are working on your mall-ninja merit badge... then a hydraulic buffer is way cool!! :ninja:

C.G.
03-16-2008, 7:06 PM
I've yet to shoot one, but I know 3 people that own them. They all describe the recoil as "VIOLENT.":confused: Hey, CG- your taste in triggers is superb. Have you had the experience of trying a Jewell? After installing one & tuning it on a precision build, no other trigger seems to do anymore for me!. :p

I have not tried the Jewell. The unfortunate thing about triggers is that one buys "a cat in the bag" unless one is fortunate enough to have a lot of friends that have various triggers one can try out.
My 5.56 and Beowulf sport CMC single stage. I've heard that Timney single stage is as good or better than CMC, but haven't had a chance to try it out.
I did try the Geisselle trigger and it is better than the CMC two stage. In the future I am planning an AR-10 Noveske barrel and will put the CMC two stage on that. The Grendel will probably get the Geiselle unless I find something better.

supersonic
03-17-2008, 6:54 AM
I have not tried the Jewell. The unfortunate thing about triggers is that one buys "a cat in the bag" unless one is fortunate enough to have a lot of friends that have various triggers one can try out.
My 5.56 and Beowulf sport CMC single stage. I've heard that Timney single stage is as good or better than CMC, but haven't had a chance to try it out.
I did try the Geisselle trigger and it is better than the CMC two stage. In the future I am planning an AR-10 Noveske barrel and will put the CMC two stage on that. The Grendel will probably get the Geiselle unless I find something better.

If you ever get a chance to try one, jump on it - I'm dead serious. Or, if you're ever up in the Sac area, PM me, and we'll hook up for some trigger time. The only one I haven't had the experience of trying is the Geisselle. Other than that, the Jewell just has that "black magick" that no other one seems to have. Before I had my first try w/ one, I would have never spent over 2 bills for a trigger!

AngelDecoys
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. The 2 stage trigger is a given. Nothing makes a rifle shoot better than an A+ trigger. :D First thing I swapped out on several of my rifles. Does anyone have experience with the 2 stage Bushmaster comp trigger? Got one sitting in a package (xmas gift) wondering if I should install the one I got, or if i'm better off selling it for something else?

With regards to the hydrolic buffer tube.
So what I'm essentially getting is that if the lower is to be dedicated to .223, or Grendel, the 'hydrolic' buffer tube is not worth the money/benefit. Low recoil rounds = no noticable difference. If I forsee in the future buying the Beowulf upper, then its money well spent.