PDA

View Full Version : ACOG TA11F or TA31F?

mAdbRaIn
03-16-2008, 7:09 AM
Which one should I purchase? The TA11F or the TA31F? What are the positives and negatives for both? Why is the TA11F much more expensive than the more magnified TA31F? People, please help me make a decision!!!

Teletiger7
03-16-2008, 7:27 AM
11=Longer eye relief, slightly smaller field of view, Bigger body, heavier, slightly less magnification.
31=Shorter eye relief, slightly bigger field of view, more compact, lighter, slightly more magnification.
IIRC the BDC hashmarks on the reticle for both are the same, since they are both F

tenpercentfirearms
03-16-2008, 8:49 AM
I find the longer eye relief pretty important for me. I have an 11F for that reason. I just don't like having the other models so darn close to my eye.

Pryde
03-16-2008, 12:03 PM
The TA11 is more highly regarded due to the longer eye relief. If you wear glasses the TA31 *could* be a problem because it needs to be 1.25 inches from your eye.

However most people tend to get the TA31 because it is more "milspec".

chuck762
03-16-2008, 2:46 PM
I had a TA01 and sold it off due to the lack of eye relief. To use it I had to close up my stock all the way which made me feel cramped and was uncomfortable for me.
I have a TA11 showing up tomorrow and I hope that will work for me.

The 4x series have 1.5 in of eye relief

the 3.5 series have 2.4 in of eye relief

REDHORSE
03-16-2008, 3:38 PM
I have had my TA31F for 6 years now. One of my favorite ACOG models, works for me.

The smaller size/ weight, BAC, chevron reticle, greater field of view, slightly greater magnification is what I was looking for.

With BAC (both models you are looking at have it). With practice and training, you can use the ACOG BAC feature like a red-dot at CQB (short) ranges with both eyes open. BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept ) feature is really neat, once you learn to use it properly. Not all ACOGs come with BAC feature. BAC feature really shows itself off in tactical shootings like in 3-gun matches. You really won't get the feel of BAC @ bench resting.

I've never had any issues with the shorter eye relief. It never felt too close to the eye for me. I don't wear corrective glasses, and the lack of recoil with 5.56 never made it feel like I would get poked in the eye. Never had any issues with wearing shooting glasses either.

You'll be happy with either model. Just pick the model that better fits the purpose you intend for the rifle it will get mounted to.

AKman
03-16-2008, 4:45 PM
I find the longer eye relief pretty important for me. I have an 11F for that reason. I just don't like having the other models so darn close to my eye.

What's wrong sonny, afraid you are going to poke your eye out? Or you just don't like that scope imprint on your forehead?

I have both and slightly prefer the 31F. Given the lack of recoil with a 5.56, I'm not too concerned about the short eye relief. However, I find eye relief real important on my 300 win mag, but an ACOG wouldn't exactly apply in that case.