PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the OLL for an evil black rifle.

bigbob76
03-15-2008, 2:56 PM
Yes I know there are other threads. I want to go back to the shop I was just at and buy lower receiver to start building. So far the Rock River Arms is recommended. Here are what I have to choose from;

Rock river Arms
CMMG
Stag
Superior
LCW

californiahunter93
03-15-2008, 3:00 PM
Pick one they are all the same.

DB2
03-15-2008, 3:01 PM
Yes I know there are other threads. I want to go back to the shop I was just at and buy lower receiver to start building. So far the Rock River Arms is recommended. Here are what I have to choose from;

Rock river Arms
CMMG
Stag
Superior
LCW

What upper are you going to use? Does it match brand wise with any of those lowers? It would be nice to have all matching brands rifle. But any would be a fine choice.

510dat
03-15-2008, 3:02 PM
This is exactly what I've been pondering recently. I'm, curious as to reasons why someone would pick one or the other, and even more, why not one or the other.

Edit:
What upper are you going to use? Does it match brand wise with any of those lowers? It would be nice to have all matching brands rifle. But any would be a fine choice.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm just looking for advice as to where a good place to start is. As for uppers, I don't really know. I assume that same brand uppers/lowers would meet up better, but beyond that :shrug:

JHC
03-15-2008, 3:03 PM
Buy the cheapest one from your list, they are all the same except Vulcan (Vulcan's are "speshuuuul")

Knight
03-15-2008, 3:05 PM
Buy Stag, they support left-handers!

JHC
03-15-2008, 3:09 PM
I bought mine based on availability.

My Fulton came from a group buy a few years back and I like it but others here hate the company due to shenanigans that the owner was pulling.

My Rock River I bought because it was on sale.

My Double Star was all the vendor had in stock at the time.

Guess what,.... they all look the same, function the same, and clean up the same.

hoffmang
03-15-2008, 3:13 PM
The only negative on that list could be the RRA. There are some weird configurations where an RRA lower and the right type of RRA upper could get ou into a legal gray corner. You could have the same RRA upper on any of the other lowers you have there and be set. I also recommend the RRA NM 2 stage trigger parts kit for any of those lowers.

-Gene

Matt C
03-15-2008, 3:17 PM
Choosing the OLL for an evil black rifle

makes you a real man. I vote for LCW.

Fobjoe
03-15-2008, 3:40 PM
If you get a RRA lower, I believe that that you cannot use an RRA upper since it would then be in a listed configuration. Just a small note to consider on the outside chance you happen to have a RRA upper.

Josh3239
03-15-2008, 4:01 PM
Whatever is the best deal. They are all the same. Anvil Arms is selling their lowers for $100, Essential Arms is doing something like $88, Spike's Tactical is selling for $105. You do have to factor in transfer fees but it will come out similar to buying one locally.

I have so far owned an off list Bushmaster Carbon 15 and Spike's Tactical and just purchased a Mega.

rue
03-15-2008, 4:05 PM
I got an LCW from that $85 christmas deal. Haven't had any problems at all and it matches my Armalite upper perfect. I used a double star LPK with colt hammer and trigger spring. I would go with the cheapest lower you can find myself.

scfast
03-15-2008, 4:25 PM
Buy the cheapest one from your list, they are all the same except Vulcan (Vulcan's are "speshuuuul")do they ride the short bus?

Got Stuff?
03-15-2008, 4:31 PM
What about Mega?!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/100_0719.jpg

Here's a pic of one of my "Evil" looking Vulcans. Not sure I would carry it onto the short bus though!:eek:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/100_0728.jpg

viras
03-15-2008, 5:19 PM
it all boils down to what logo you like the most

Rocko
03-15-2008, 5:24 PM
Get the cheapest one and put your money where it counts....the guts and the barrel.

MonsterMan
03-15-2008, 6:02 PM
I like CMMG. :)

It looks like someone need to get a new MMG! Those old ones are so crude compared to the new ones. :p

gosparx
03-15-2008, 6:18 PM
I've got a few LCWs that have worked great. The only trouble I have had has been with a Stag (which everyone appears to love) but I have found that (at least the one I have) fits on some of my uppers and not with others (can't get both pins in), but on the upper's it fits, it's great.

If stuff like this matters to you... what logo do you like and does the color of the lower match the color of your upper?!?!!

I only have one AR that the upper and lower match. (Spike's)

Got Stuff?
03-15-2008, 6:23 PM
I like CMMG. :)

It looks like someone need to get a new MMG! Those old ones are so crude compared to the new ones. :p

That's a classic and collectible MMG!

That particular MMG has sure seen alot of fondling. But I do need to get a new one....a few actually.:D

bigbob76
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks very much for a lot of useful information. Here's something that was given to me from another forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

hoffmang
03-16-2008, 12:44 PM
That thread was originally posted here and is in the archives BTW.

-Gene

4D5auto
03-16-2008, 2:02 PM
The only negative on that list could be the RRA. There are some weird configurations where an RRA lower and the right type of RRA upper could get ou into a legal gray corner. You could have the same RRA upper on any of the other lowers you have there and be set. I also recommend the RRA NM 2 stage trigger parts kit for any of those lowers.

-Gene

Fill me in, how can the upper get you into a gray area?? Do you mean barrel or just upper?? I'm trying to find a set, upper and lower and considering Stag, CMMG, Mega.

supersonic
03-16-2008, 4:40 PM

-Gene

Gene is, unfortunately, absolutely correct. It is very strange how the DOJ listed RRA model #'s, that (to my knowledge) don't even exist as far as being stamped on any lowers. So, you get into a kind-of "generic" gray area, and yet another "obstacle" to overcome with regards to LEO. It's unfortunate, as I said, because I happen to love the 2 RRA uppers I have, and I would like them to match the lowers. There is one more thing about a batch of "out-of-spec" RRA lowers going on now, anyway (don't know if it has been cleared up yet or not), so it might be best to steer clear for the time being:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=159435

jojo760
03-16-2008, 7:02 PM
So is it just better to play it safe and not use any rock river uppers on rock river lowers? Is there a list of which uppers could create the problem? I was going to get one of their national match 20" uppers, or a standard A2 20" for my RRA lowers. I have the 16" entry upper is that one of them?

jackslap
03-16-2008, 7:14 PM
Get the CMMG. I just bought one a few weeks ago from Wes @ Tenpercent and it looks great. I'm waiting for my upper to get here, but from what I hear the CMMG's finish matches well with any.

I don't like the damn deer logo of Stag myself.

J_Rock
03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Just pick a roll mark you like. All of those listed are good-to-go in-spec lowers.

Jeff.
03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I just bought myself three so I could jump on the AR bandwagon. I purchased a CMMG, a Double Star and a Stag. I've been told they are all pretty much the same except the RRA issues are a possibility if you don't do your homework.

Get one that has a nice design, haha.

Kishfisser
03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Just get two of each.

burl broderick
03-17-2008, 2:29 PM
I got a sweet Calguns lower from 10% with the bear logo & a nice low serial number.

As my favorite dealer in Pacifica said, with a Russian accent & a grin,
"You paid extra to thumb nose at DOJ."

:tt2: :iggy:

4D5auto
03-17-2008, 5:50 PM
OK, what's the consensus on DPMS uppers and barrels??

aplinker
03-17-2008, 6:16 PM
OK, what's the consensus on DPMS uppers and barrels??

They're not very good.

4D5auto
03-17-2008, 7:35 PM
Thanks.

If I want to detach the mag to reload, do I need the MMG?

chico.cm
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Stag. You gotta reward the only outfit that loves Southpaws!

aplinker
03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
No, but you can't have a pistol grip, a collapsible stock, a flash hider, a thumbhole stock or a flare launcher.

Thanks.

If I want to detach the mag to reload, do I need the MMG?

Breadfan
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
buy a stag

supersonic
03-19-2008, 3:48 AM
buy a stag

Good advice! (more CMMG's for ME!!!!!!:D)

DedEye
03-19-2008, 4:11 AM
it all boils down to what logo you like the most

+1. It's why I like CMMG so much.

(And my Calguns lower :p)

4D5auto
03-19-2008, 3:42 PM
When employing the MMG, will the muzzle break need to be permanently attached??

DedEye
03-19-2008, 4:13 PM
When employing the MMG, will the muzzle break need to be permanently attached??

No (if you have a 16"+ barrel).

g17owner
03-19-2008, 4:26 PM
I just finished a build with an RRA upper and lower with RRA LPK and it went together flawlessly. The fit between the two halves are perfect and the rifle was a dream to assemble. Literally drop in fit. I also have a Mega machine lower that i want to build but i am looking for the right upper. I am a firm believer of matching parts but i know of several that have assembled with other manufactures parts and they went together just fine.

Blacktail 8541
03-19-2008, 4:55 PM
I also have a Mega machine lower that i want to build but i am looking for the right upper. I am a firm believer of matching parts but i know of several that have assembled with other manufactures parts and they went together just fine.

Buy a Mega upper from CWS or one of the other venders that carry them.

Buy the way, I am partial to Mega.

supersonic
03-19-2008, 6:58 PM
I just finished a build with an RRA upper and lower with RRA LPK and it went together flawlessly. The fit between the two halves are perfect and the rifle was a dream to assemble. Literally drop in fit. I also have a Mega machine lower that i want to build but i am looking for the right upper. I am a firm believer of matching parts but i know of several that have assembled with other manufactures parts and they went together just fine.

You, my friend, are a braver man than I!! IMHO, the RRA lower (because of how the DOJ put RRA's so irresponsibly on the CCR 979.11 "series" list) makes it a prime target for just about any "less-than-educated" LEO that even browses the list. But PLEASE don't hesitate to post any/all LEO interactions with this rifle. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would prefer to have RRA lowers sitting under my RRA uppers!!:D

scfast
03-19-2008, 8:59 PM
Woohoo balls.

SanSacto
03-19-2008, 9:40 PM
The Stag Arms logo reminds me of the Casadores tequila logo. You know, "the one with the deer on it." That's my only reason.

mltrading
03-20-2008, 6:16 PM
I'd say M-E-G-A.

edittman1
03-20-2008, 7:59 PM
DD's ranch has Mega lowers in stock for $109.95. I just got 4 of them.

4D5auto
03-20-2008, 8:10 PM
Where are they located??

Bagger
03-20-2008, 9:34 PM
Rockriver

Stag

Easy Choices for me

supersonic
03-21-2008, 4:03 AM
Where are they located??

Just an hr. or 2 away, New York.:p