View Full Version : 9.3 x 62 rifle, which one?

03-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I started a project a few months back and got stalled. It was to rebarrel a Czech K-98 receiver with a 9.3 x 62 barrel. This is about the minimal African caliber (I know not really big enough for most but it is rated as that). It can make energies in the 3500 ft-lb range, which is significantly higher than other non-magnum cartridges including 35 Whelan, which I already have. I don't need this cartridge but just want it. The problem is I have fitted a barrel before (Ruger action and 6 mm BR barrel) but my Chinese lathe is problematical and I sweated bullets for the whole process and I don't want to do it again. I want a gunsmith to do it. But few have the chamber reamer and many want to only make match guns. This is a heavy sporter project, not expected to be a match gun, and will only be used on paper or steel swingers on a rest on the bench. I don't hunt at all.

I have found Montana Rifleman (gunsmith) that has the reamer and the barrel, and can lap the lugs and square the receiver and install the barrel but I'm looking at nearly $500. I already have the receiver, the scope, the Timney trigger, but no stock. It looks like to go from here to there I'll need to add about $700. For that I can get a CZ550 in the same caliber and use the scope I already have and I'll get a set trigger in the bargain. The problem is that I really wanted a Czech K98 (my heritage is Czech). Common sense says buy the CZ550. I tried to find other gunsmiths but few can do the funny caliber which I really want (I collect calibers not gun manufacutrers).

Anyone got some insight or opinions on this situation, especially here in California? I am really on the fence and can not decide based on any fact currently at hand. Either is a Czech gun but one has history and the other has "modern". I can not decide which is more important.

03-15-2008, 1:01 PM
I think CZ is producing 9.3x62 rifles at reasonable prices