PDA

View Full Version : Best 17HMR available?

'notherOakie
03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I am looking to get my first 17HMR and am torn between the Savage, Marlin, and CZ. Everywhere I look everyone has a different opinion, or they seem to be equal. What I am looking for is accuracy, and the potential to gain accuracy later down the road. What I am looking for is a good base to build a tack driver on. I am trying to keep my costs down up front, otherwise Anchutz, Ruger, Kimber, or a custom 17 would be at the top of my list. Or, are these more expensive rifles worth saving for. Also, where can I find a good deal on one? Any info, or personal experience is welcomed.

CavTrooper
03-15-2008, 10:53 AM
SavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSa vageSavageSavageSavage....

or CZ.

scfast
03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Savage and cz are the only way to go even if you just get a 93r17 gv and go w mueller apv for optics a great combo.

OutlawDon
03-15-2008, 11:09 AM
CZ....they look gorgeous and are priced fairly.

The 17HMR is an accurate round to begin with already.

joe55
03-15-2008, 11:13 AM
SavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSavageSa vageSavageSavageSavage....

or CZ.

+1 for savage

'notherOakie
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I was leaning twards the savage. I want to get the 93R17BTVS, I really like the thumbhole stock. Do you guys think this stock is going to be as accurate as say a richards micro fit stock, or one from sharp shooters?

CavTrooper
03-15-2008, 12:19 PM
The SharpShooters stock looks pretty nice. More accurate though, I dunno. With some bedding work or whatever you may be able to squeeze a little more out of it, but, its totally unnessecary IMHO.

kilword
03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
marlin or savage, CZ is a better built gun and will cost a little more but on all the test i've seen the savage and marlin are just a tad more accurate.

Id say marlin or savage.
I have a marlin myself

Mike's Custom
03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
CZ. I have tested all of them and while all are very accurate and will do the job, the CZ is higher quality at a great price and the single set trigger. I have a Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ in HMR and also .17M2 and both are very accurate but the price is much higher although Ruger does include rings. After testing 3 together, Savage, Marlin and Ruger, the Marlin was slightly more accurate (all had to be measures with dial calipers and it was close) that day. I then did a test with Ruger, CZ varmint and standard (non-single stage trigger) and Marlin and the CZ and Marlin were tied and the Ruger was a RCH behind. Not enough to matter to a squirrel. So, I say buy the one you like but to me the CZ is not much more for a lot more firearm in looks, features and quality.

EastBayRidge
03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
You may want to google the Sako Quad. Interchangeable barrels in 4 rimfire calibers.

SnipersHide is running a group buy - $500 a pop, I believe. Lilja has started making aftermarket barrels.

kilword
03-15-2008, 1:47 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

17hmr forum

talk2me7.62
03-15-2008, 1:54 PM
Go to the Volquartsen web sight...I have a Light weight model in 17 hmr...my rifle shoots 3/8 th to 1/2 in all day at 75 yards...this is the prime beef of semi-autos in 17 hmrs....talk2me7.62

Twinspool
03-15-2008, 5:30 PM
I bought a 93R17. Very happy with it.

Head shot on a ground squirrel at 157 paces. Yay!

supersonic
03-15-2008, 7:30 PM
SAKO QUAD!!!!!!!........W/ ALL 4 BBL's!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

CavTrooper
03-15-2008, 7:42 PM
The OP obviously has a $$$ limit. CZ, Marlin, Savage... all pretty much under $500, The Sako Quad... well, its not.

caldude
03-15-2008, 7:49 PM
I've got the Savage 97R17 Classic, with a Mueller APV scope. I like the looks of it versus the other models, but it was a bit more expensive. Shoots great and has the Savage Accutrigger. The only thing with the 17HMR is the wind can blow it around at longer distances.

Really though, you'd probably be happy with either the Marlin, Savage, or CZ.

Rule .308
03-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I have the Marlin and the CZ and it is tough to go wrong with either one, if I had to make a choice between the two that I own it would be with the Marlin. Truthfully though, I really like my 10/22 set up in 17Mach II better than either of my HMR's. Boyd's was running a summer special a couple of years back that was your choice of barrel, stock, and caliber. I got a laminated stock, big ole fat E.R. Shaw stainless barrel, and the necessary caliber conversion parts. Shooting little bitty ragged holes at a hundred yards in paper got real old real fast so I had to resort to shooting the old shot shells that littered the ground out there at 100 yards, still no challenge, went to shooting the bases of the ones that were facing me, still not much of a challenge, finally went to trying to zap the primers out of the middle of the bases, now that was a little more challenging. The 17 is a great little caliber, whether it be in the HMR or the M2. If money is a concern though you might want to go with the HMR as you will shoot that 10/22 just like the semi-auto that it is.

swhatb
03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Anybody make a 17HMR upper for an OLL? That would :p

supersonic
03-16-2008, 6:16 AM
The OP obviously has a $$$ limit. CZ, Marlin, Savage... all pretty much under $500, The Sako Quad... well, its not.

It was a "joke"::D, obviously. The SAKO QUAD , as we all know, is a TRUE richman's toy. But it IS the best .17/.22 rimfire one can own. I know, because I'm a centerfire ONLY "type of guy", (who likes a thump in the shoulder pocket when I pull the trigger) -- AND I'D KILL FOR ONE!!!!!:p

Calhunter380
03-16-2008, 11:13 AM
When I went to buy a 17 for my son I was planning on the savage. All they had was the Marlin so I picked it up. Best little shooter in my safe. First time I took it out I couldn't believe the accuracy. First 3 shots one ragged hole. 1/2inch groups all day long . The only thing I've noticed about the marlin is the Mag seems to fit a little loose or sloppy but it doesn't affect feeding so it's really not an issue, just wanted to point it out :p

Calhunter380

ivanimal
03-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I own 3 17 HMR rifles a Marlin, Savage and an Excel arms. I prefer the Marlin for accuracy and the Excel for just having fun.

http://www.excelarms.com/images/600_p2.jpg

My Excel runs fine the early one were very finicky.

supersonic
03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I've been a fan of the .17HMR for a while now. When I bought my son his first "entry" rifle, I got him the Remington 597. I was just about to pick up the .17, until I compared ammo prices.:eek: "Uhhh, I think I'll wait and see how serious he becomes. So, uh, I'll take the .22LR!!!!!:D" He has since lost all interest (:(), and I'm the only one that uses it. Wish I would've gotten the HMR.......oh well.:mad:

scobun
03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
The CZ is world's better than the others in terms of fit and finish, and I'd say is slightly more accurate than both due to more consistency in barrel manufacturing and better triggers. My 452 is a .22 that is built the way Savages, Marlins, Winchesters and Remingtons were built 50 years ago. You get what you pay for and there is a reason they are more expensive.

The next step up from a CZ would be an Anschütz. I used to have one, and my oh my I don't know why I didn't keep it....

Get the CZ, you'll be glad you did for the next half century.

supersonic
03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
The CZ is world's better than the others in terms of fit and finish, and I'd say is slightly more accurate than both due to more consistency in barrel manufacturing and better triggers. My 452 is a .22 that is built the way Savages, Marlins, Winchesters and Remingtons were built 50 years ago. You get what you pay for and there is a reason they are more expensive.

The next step up from a CZ would be an Anschütz. I used to have one, and my oh my I don't know why I didn't keep it....

Get the CZ, you'll be glad you did for the next half century.

+100% CZ makes a really solid,quality product. My 550 American is my favorite bolt gun in the safe. VERRRY heavy, though, for a sporter. It's that solid walnut stock. Yeah, VERY SOLID guns!!:)

CACitUP
03-16-2008, 1:38 PM
Th best 17 HMR is a 17 HM2 :D