PDA

View Full Version : Any Styer Mannlicher experts out there, Model 1903 Sporter

Knifemaker
03-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Iam thinking about picking up a civie model 1903 Takedown model in 6.5x54. The gun is super clean and 100% original with no scope mount holes, etc...22inch barrel with single trigger all numbers matching, just a clean tight old gun. I wish it was the carbine model with the full length stock but this thing is just so cool and clean original condition, the takedown stock is a work of art I dont think I can pass it up. Anyone have experience with these? approx value at like 80-90% condition.

jamesob
03-14-2008, 11:28 PM
i dont have an old one but i do have a styer manlicher pro hunter in 6.5x55 and i love it. i have looked at the old ones at big5 and just cant bring myself to buy one although i do want one.

Knifemaker
03-14-2008, 11:34 PM
i dont have an old one but i do have a styer manlicher pro hunter in 6.5x55 and i love it. i have looked at the old ones at big5 and just cant bring myself to buy one although i do want one.

I know what you mean about the Big 5 guns but this is a factory sporter and on a whole different level than the military surplus gun. From what I can find on the net in rough shape they gor for like $800-$1200 and in nice shape $2000 or more.... The workmanship is really really nice, it just has that old world craftsman feel to it.

tankerman
03-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Buy it I have two 1903 and 1908 only difference is caliber and an 1892/3

I'm not sure if the takedown stock is factory original. Many rifles were bring backs from WWI and WWII often the stocks were cutdown to fit in a soldiers bag some were refinished to fix the cut look others were not. I would not worry to much about that though. They are great guns smothest action ever made, the original scout rifles. Does it have claw mounts?

The 6.5x53r originally for the 1892/1893 Mannlicher (which were turned into sporters with actions that were left over from the Roumanian Military contract and later the 1903 6.5x54 were both loaded with round nose solids and are responsible for killing more elephants than any other guns. The 6.5 solid penetrated the elephant skull.

Price can vary quite a bit the collector pool is not that large for these awesome guns prices can range from around $1000-$2000+. Is the wood figured? Is there still case coloring around the trigger group? How's the checkering? Does the rotary magazine work?

I say buy it even if the condition is not that great they are still excellent rifles.

tankerman
03-14-2008, 11:47 PM
The steyr 95's at Big5 are not the same as what he is talking about.

Even the miliyary 1903's are awesome. I had a mo-ron here tell me that the 1903 military rifle was inadequate and cute, he obviously knew nothing if ballistics or of the value of scout rifles

Knifemaker
03-15-2008, 9:08 AM
Thanks guys. If you do some searching on the net I found several of these 1903 with the original takedown stocks. One place mentioned barrelled actions were sent to Gibbs for the takedown stocks to be made for Mannlicher. I dont know if this is true but from what I have found the takedown stock is original to this gun. The gun is really clean, the checkering is good but I will have to look at it again today for the case color. The price on this one is $700 from a private party. I figure if I dont care for it after I shoot it I might be able to make a couple bucks from it down the road, at the very least I dont think I would lose any money on the deal.I will post some pics when I get it.Thanks!

tankerman
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Buy it for $700.

If the barreled action was sent to Gibbs, then the action and barrel may be from an unfilled military contract, similar to my 1892/3. Unless it has commercial markings. But, if that's the case there would probably not be case colors. So yes the stock may be original, but the rifle may not have not necessarily started have out as a sporting gun from the factory.

Most British and German gunmakers built semi-custom rifles from Mannlicher actions and made really nice guns. Some of these are worth more than factory built sporting rifles, specially when built by well known makers such as Gibbs.

What kind of sights? Maybe express with a folding leaf? Or maybe a hinged peep sight that sits over the split bridge action? If it has a hinged peep sight then the sight alone is worth a couple of hundred bucks.

Check the markings to find out if it is military contract or commercial.

Either way it sounds like a great gun.

Certainly a C&R so bring it home today

Knifemaker
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes it does have the peep sight and it does have commercial markings. I will have it in hand in a couple of hours, will post a couple of pics. The stock is the same as all the other Mannlicher/Styer takedown stocks I have seen in pics of original rifles (not the carbines) on the net.The Gibbs as stock maker was just the opinion of one collector and from all the takedown stocks being the same, it might not be true. Iam sure the stock is original to this gun.Thanks for the comments!!

tankerman
03-15-2008, 2:03 PM
Is this gun marked .256 Gibbs or 6.5x54? I believe Gibbs guns may have been marked as such.

I'm also assuming that you understand that takedown, when refering to factory (Austrian) Mannlichers means takedown rifle where as the action and barrel is easily removed from the stock. The Only English 1903 takedown I have personally seen was an H&H and it was a full takedown barrel came off with a portion of the forend stock, this rifle I believe was also marked H&H

cut/pasted
The 1903 was only offered in 6.5 x 54 mm caliber and only in three versions, namely the carbine with a 17.7" barrel, the sporter half stock with a 23.5" barrel, and the takedown model with a 23.5" barrel. All three were offered with either double set triggers (DST) or single trigger (ST), however I have never seen a takedown with a double set trigger. All models were equipped with a sheared bead on barrel band ramp front sight and 2 blade ( 1 standing...1 folding ) rear sight.

http://discover-net.net/~kanotex/mannlicher/images/1903td-b.jpg
Unassembled view of the Model 1903 Takedown Mannlicher Schoenauer
This photo shows the rifle in take down mode. The stock shows the tang peep raised. To take down the rifle follow these steps.
1. Remove the spring loaded pin from the forearm.
2. Remove the magazine.
3.Turn the lever in front of the trigger guard.
4. Lift the barreled action from the stock.
You'll note the front ramp is approximately one inch back from the muzzle. These takedown rifles have 2 leaf rear sights and a sheared bead front on barrel band ramp front sight which is the same on the carbines and sporters. The tang peep is an option and may be found on all three versions. The removable grip cap is also an option, and is usually found on rifles with tang peeps and a finer front sight blade. I haven't shown photos of the Models 1905, 1908, or 1910. This is because they are exactly the same as the Model 1903 except for the carbines which have a 20" barrel instead of 17.7 inch barrels. No changes were made until 1924 and at that time they went to a slightly larger action.

Knifemaker
03-15-2008, 3:29 PM
Yep I understand, that one pictured is just like mine. On that guys website he also shows a pic of the other type takedown, the one where the barrel comes off of the action.

tankerman
03-15-2008, 4:45 PM
Ahhh, my misunderstanding. When you said "takedown stock" I thought you were refering to a 2 piece stock, which is what I consider a takedown stock. The one pictured I refer to as a "Takedown Model".

Makes more sense now.

Good buy

Of my three Mannlichers two of them came from an older man that insisted he wanted to get rid of them. I told him they were worth considerably more than he was offering them for, I ended up getting one for $250 and the other for $350. I was stoked and I did not come away felling ashamed because I did tell the guy what they were worth and he still wanted to sell them to me at that price. Only thing was he did not understand the whiole C&R thing so I had to DROS both of them even though one is over 80 years old and the other over 100. Still was a great deal though.

Knifemaker
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Cool, I would love to see pics of them. I will get some good shots of this one tomorrow and post them up.

Knifemaker
03-17-2008, 6:39 PM
Some pics....
http://www.fototime.com/621C20F9F105C53/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/C0C2D18FCBA994E/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/3BB5C27D90A4C17/orig.jpg

tankerman
03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
What is that sight mounted on?

The receiver sight I was refering yo goes across the split bridge on top of the receiver, when you work the bolt it pivots put of the way.

Never seen one like yours, kinda looks like it's mounted on the bolt.

Nice rifle, enjoy

Knifemaker
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Yep it is mounted on the bolt and folds down when you dont want to use it.