PDA

View Full Version : BIG 5 Says "Keltec Could Be An Assault Weapon"

gordoe
03-14-2008, 7:04 PM
I went to do a PPT with 7.62Hutch at Big 5 after Imbert & Smithers said they considered it "grey". Took close to an 1 hour to do the paperwork and the guy went the whole time looked "iffy" about the situation, I paid the $35 fee and said they said it was ready for pick up on the 24th. I get a call earlier today saying that they wont do the transfer because the rifle is capable of accepting magazines larger than 10 rounds, while having a M1 Carbine on the shelf????? My girlfriend said she knew it was too good to be true, now were going to do it somewhere else. Its good Im getting a refund for the fees, but I will never get that close to an hour of waiting back.

bohoki
03-14-2008, 7:07 PM
I went to do a PPT with 7.62Hutch at Big 5 after Imbert & Smithers said they considered it "grey". Took close to an 1 hour to do the paperwork and the guy went the whole time looked "iffy" about the situation, I paid the $35 fee and said they said it was ready for pick up on the 24th. I get a call earlier today saying that they wont do the transfer because the rifle is capable of accepting magazines larger than 10 rounds, while having a M1 Carbine on the shelf????? My girlfriend said she knew it was too good to be true, now were going to do it somewhere else. Its good Im getting a refund for the fees, but I will never get that close to an hour of waiting back.

did you point out the carbine saying that they are selling a "could be" assault weapon

USN CHIEF
03-14-2008, 7:08 PM
99% of the people that I have dealt with @ Big 5 when I go to buy 22lr are just plain idiots that don't know crap about the ammo or guns they have..

CSACANNONEER
03-14-2008, 7:17 PM
The AK pumps on thier shelf can be made into AWs too!

ZombieKiller
03-14-2008, 7:25 PM
It's Big 5.....they're more like a back pack and shoe store. Not really surprising...

Nodda Duma
03-14-2008, 7:47 PM
My buddy runs the Big 5 store here. I try to keep him educated, and he'll ask me questions from time-to-time. It only took a couple of conversations to convince him that the M1 Carbines they are selling are junk compared to the Carbines you'd get for even half what they are charging. So at least this Big 5 knows what it's doing.

-Jason

dfletcher
03-14-2008, 7:48 PM
And with a 6 pack of Lagunitas IPA from Whole Foods in my back seat (forgive me my bad shopping habits) I could be DUI? This is great thinking, I wasn't aware "could be" is legally enforceable.

TKM
03-14-2008, 7:55 PM
I could be having unlawful carnal knowledge of my desk if Big 5 thinking catches on.

Hey, wait a minute, I think this means that Iggy may have committed an act of domestic violence. Can furniture file a TRO?

tankerman
03-14-2008, 8:13 PM
Why were you discussing firearms with anyone at Big5? Occassionally the have a good sale on a milsurp, pistol caliber levergun or an 870 but I just buy and avoid shop talk with those shoe/rolerblade salesmen. You should know better

Suvorov
03-14-2008, 9:33 PM
Why waste your time with FUDs and as*hat gun dealers? Try City Arms, Rogers Relics, or Krauswerks. They will treat you right and know the laws. Heck, even Frank at Tabors sells the KelTec so he would be able to do the PPT.

We need to stop giving money to old Elmer FUD.

Solidmch
03-14-2008, 9:33 PM
omg! SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS WRESTLING WITH AN EXTRA CHROMOSOME.

aplinker
03-14-2008, 9:35 PM
did you point out the carbine saying that they are selling a "could be" assault weapon

I'd prefer he point out that EVERY rifle on the rack COULD BE an SBR

This is stupid.

timmy8151
03-14-2008, 9:42 PM
Why waste your time with FUDs and as*hat gun dealers? Try City Arms, Rogers Relics, or Krauswerks. They will treat you right and know the laws. Heck, even Frank at Tabors sells the KelTec so he would be able to do the PPT.

Exactly! Stay away from Imbert and Smithers like the plague.

s2000news
03-14-2008, 9:43 PM
If you continue to have problems, go see Lisa at Rogers Relics.

Was just there today, picked up another Sig and a 5th lower.

No need to deal with those guys, Lisa and Roger know their @#!&! Although, Roger will tell you not to ask him anything, Lisa is the brain in the place. :)

soopafly
03-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I keep seeing people mix these terms up here. For clarification:

The NAME is Elmer Fudd(two "d's".) referring to hunters with an aversion to "black rifles"
The ACRONYM is FUD(one "D") Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt

Shane916
03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Just like to point out not all individuals working sporting goods firearms counters are as idiotic as many of you suggest in your stereotypical generalization :D

jamesob
03-14-2008, 10:33 PM
the manager at big5 in visalia thinks a romanian sks is an assault weapon. he said he would ppt but when i showed up with it he freaked out and said it was an assault weapon. after trying to explain it wasn't one he said some insulting remark to me, and pissed me off. well i told him to go f himself and havnt been back since. that was 3 years ago.

Gator Monroe
03-14-2008, 10:49 PM
the manager at big5 in visalia thinks a romanian sks is an assault weapon. he said he would ppt but when i showed up with it he freaked out and said it was an assault weapon. after trying to explain it wasn't one he said some insulting remark to me, and pissed me off. well i told him to go f himself and havnt been back since. that was 3 years ago.

So that was the Famous "Incident at Exeter" I've been hearing About ...:eek:

smle-man
03-14-2008, 11:00 PM
The big 5 in my town told me that they do not do PPTs at all. I told them that CA law says that a retailer with an FFL is required to do PPTs and charge a fixed amount set by the state for the transfer. They told me to take a hike. Who is correct on this one?

Suvorov
03-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry, I keep seeing people mix these terms up here. For clarification:

The NAME is Elmer Fudd(two "d's".) referring to hunters with an aversion to "black rifles"
The ACRONYM is FUD(one "D") Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt

You are right, and I know the difference no mix up here, just a play on terms (phunny how Fudd and FUD sound so similar?). Perhaps you have not been to Imbert and Smithers? But let me rephrase my comment:

Imbert and Smithers are a bunch of Fudds that like to spread FUD. (or should I punctuate it as F.U.D.?). :rolleyes:

Oh, and since you have assumed me a moron, I will do the same. Elmer Fudd is a name of a Warner Brother's cartoon who likes to hunt wascally wabbits......

thedrickel
03-14-2008, 11:25 PM
The big 5 in my town told me that they do not do PPTs at all. I told them that CA law says that a retailer with an FFL is required to do PPTs and charge a fixed amount set by the state for the transfer. They told me to take a hike. Who is correct on this one?

Oh man, I would have called DOJ/BOF on the spot! You are absolutely correct. They sell long guns, you want to PPT a legal long gun, they HAVE to do it!

s2000news
03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Oh man, I would have called DOJ/BOF on the spot! You are absolutely correct. They sell long guns, you want to PPT a legal long gun, they HAVE to do it!

Exactly.

smle-man, what Big 5 was it?

JeffM
03-15-2008, 12:33 AM

I've been there once to see what they were charging for a box of .303 Brit. :eek:

I also fondled the well worn $1K M1 Carbine on the rack. I had to show the guy how to lock the bolt back so he could let me handle it. :rolleyes:

I will not be going back.

viras
03-15-2008, 1:04 AM
"SU-16" and "Assault Weapon" is an oxymoron...

Full Clip
03-15-2008, 1:53 AM

I had a similar incident with a clown at Turners in Pasadena. AND THEY SELL LOTS OF GUNS, unlike Big 5. Never returned. I'd never do anything firearms-related at B5 other than buy ammo on sale or similar.

HUTCH 7.62
03-15-2008, 8:40 AM
I hate the Bay Area, hopefully they"ll let me pick up said firearm. the idiots have'nt even called me yet.

rue
03-15-2008, 8:59 AM
Wow,
The big 5's in my town seem okay.
I've had more problems at regular gun shops. I've been told recently that any PPT handgun had to be on the safe list from one shop, that an OLL is illegal, any .50 cal is illegal in CA. not just the BMG.
My GF has to grab my arm usually when this happens as I tend to argue with anyone who doesn't know the law and should.

M5police
03-15-2008, 10:18 AM
There aint no CURE for STUPID. That's for sure. Plenty of them work at gun shops it seems. With arsewipes like that representing the gun community- no wonder we all caught up in gun law jams- cause of them and the nonsense they spew.

Try Frank Tabor of Tabor's shooters supply in San Bruno. It is right next to the Jack in the Box there or was it a Carls Jr on El Camino Real. He is old school so dont ask any retarded stuff if you dont like what you will get - dished back at you.:D He is a very nice guy. Lots of police hanging out in there when they are on "duty". He never charged me for minor stuff that I needed help on with firearms. Great guy as he is an actual gunsmith.

HUTCH 7.62
03-15-2008, 6:09 PM
Just came back from the redwood city Big 5. The manager said my Keltec that I sold to Gordoe was an assault rifle DUE TO IT'S DETACHABLE MAG AND IT'S CAPABILITY TO EXCEPT HIGH CAP MAGS . I pointed to the M-1 on the rack he says thats ok He say it has 10 round mag. I say well the keltec has 2 10 round mags and that the carbine can accept hi cap mags also. I tell him what is deemed an AW in kommiefornia. As I tell him this he gives me the blankest stare I have ever seen, almost like no one was home. Then he tells me sorry, goodluck because no one is going to transfer this rifle. I said I had already found one. He said who. I said a real gun shop that knows CA firearm laws and walked out the store. The sad thing is as I was on my way out and noticed that they were advertising his job on the front of the building.

Bucc
03-15-2008, 7:47 PM
Like thedrickel said. Call DOJ, they are obligated to transfer.

mapleleafup
03-15-2008, 9:35 PM
Today at big 5 to my surprise they had one Romanian ak-47 no bollocks either. $259.99. I asked when the decided to start selling these and the manager said just a few days ago. They said they had 99 in the system with another 300 different ones on the way.

mapleleafup
03-15-2008, 9:37 PM
oh and i dont know the exact model it said Romanian pal1? or cal 1 something along those lines. had a 5 round mag and it was 7.62x39

HUTCH 7.62
03-15-2008, 9:46 PM
dude, so calling DOJ monday. I'm tired of this BS

tonelar
05-08-2008, 2:28 AM
The saddest thing is that when I was growing up, I thought they got their name (Big 5) from the Big 5 game trophy animals... Imagining that at one time they were more of a hunting / sport shooting store than a soccer ball and sneaker shop.

jandmtv
05-08-2008, 3:32 AM
hmmm. necro/insomnia post combo...........

Flat Broke
05-08-2008, 6:26 AM
oh and i dont know the exact model it said Romanian pal1? or cal 1 something along those lines. had a 5 round mag and it was 7.62x39

What you saw was a bastardized pump action AK. Looks like an AK from afar, but the gas system has been circumvented and a pump affixed to cycle the action of the rifle. If it was 7.62x39, its a PAR 1; if it was in 5.56 I believe it's called a PAR 3.

Chris

vega
05-08-2008, 7:26 AM
hmmm. necro/insomnia post combo...........

Hmmm. Does that mean a member cannot ressurect an old post without getting this remark and if he starts a new topic he will get a "do a search it has been discuss before" reply?

RedDawn
05-08-2008, 7:50 AM
Hmmm. Does that mean a member cannot ressurect an old post without getting this remark and if he starts a new topic he will get a "do a search it has been discuss before" reply?

Catch 22
In a nut shell, Yes.:D
That does seem to be the case.

socalgunrunner
05-08-2008, 8:02 AM

Who care's? I do it sometimes just to piss off some of these old geezers. Until the thread is closed, you're free to keep posting on it. I don't see anything in the rules that state otherwise.

dfletcher
05-08-2008, 8:03 AM
Where are the Big 5s in the Bay area that stock ammo, guns? I've pretty much made the assumption that they're all tennis & fishing outlet type set ups in CA cities.

RedDawn
05-08-2008, 8:10 AM
Where are the Big 5s in the Bay area that stock ammo, guns? I've pretty much made the assumption that they're all tennis & fishing outlet type set ups in CA cities.

Go to big5sportinggoods.com and do a store location search.
All of the Big5's in the OC carry surplus rifles, shotguns, and limited types of ammunition.