PDA

View Full Version : Uncle to bestow two Match Quality SVD Dragunovs...

fishgills
03-14-2008, 2:14 PM
But can I make these CA legal?

Two original Russian SVD Dragunovs in match quality.

Anyone got any pointers on how I can get these from him? He's in New Mexico.

TurboFall
03-14-2008, 2:29 PM
I don't believe Dragunovs are listed at all. Just have him plug up the stock and get them PPT'd. Please don't drill any holes or damage them. Dragunovs are way too pretty and expensive for that.

fishgills
03-14-2008, 2:33 PM
PPT'd?

I concur about the Dragunov. They'll look nice with my FAL. :)

I can just put foam in the stock or something? Is there a place that sells CA Legal Dragonuv stocks?

TurboFall
03-14-2008, 2:36 PM
Private Party Transfer. It's to legally transfer the guns to you. Basically just a background check with a fee.

You could foam the stock, or fill it in with removable epoxy, or something. I don't think there are any CA-legal stocks for the Dragunov, just because so few people have them, especially in CA.

Josh3239
03-14-2008, 2:45 PM
Easier way - ship them without the stock and never attach the stock.

The rifle will meet legal length with the stock removed and it will have no evil features. You can work on a filled in stock whenever you want that way.

Congrats on the rifles!

TurboFall
03-14-2008, 2:56 PM
oh, and I don't think I said this yet.

I hate you. I want a dragunov. :(

fishgills
03-14-2008, 3:02 PM
Well, I don't have them yet. Figure that having a plan to get them would make him more acceptable to the idea of selling them to me. :)

And one is for my co-worker. Sorry. :|

My uncle has 4 Dragonuvs, 2 original WW2 M1 Garands (1 never fired), couple of Mousers and 30+ other rifles.

69Mach1
03-14-2008, 8:24 PM
You need to lock the 10 round mag in place because the Drag's have a pinned flash suppressor.

virulosity
03-14-2008, 9:19 PM
I have made a dragunov mag lock for my TIGR. PM me if you are interested.

Quiet
03-14-2008, 9:28 PM
:useless:

robitrocks
03-14-2008, 9:56 PM
I'm soooo jealous. Post pics when you get it!

JeffM
03-14-2008, 10:28 PM

yes

Ravenslair
03-15-2008, 1:57 AM
Please do not ruin a Dragunov stock. As stated above, just remove the stock and have it shipped that way. Once you get the rifle, put the Dragunov stock away for later and get yourself a second after market stock to jack up and make CA legal. Congratulations on your new acquisition!

Max-the-Silent
03-15-2008, 8:57 AM
But can I make these CA legal?

Two original Russian SVD Dragunovs in match quality.

Anyone got any pointers on how I can get these from him? He's in New Mexico.

I hear this term thrown around wrt AK's and Drag's - there is no such animal!

There are AK's with heavier barrels, AK's with longer barrels, and AK's that have the term "Match" bestowed upon them by a manufacturer or importer, but there's never been an AK that could hold with a NM 1903, Garand or M14.

When the first Dragunov got bagged and tagged, it was sent to FSTC - Foreign Science and Technology Center - for testing. Before live fire testing, the rumor was that the Drag was gtg out to a mile...

After the thing was tested, it was all for nothing. the thing wouldn't hold MOA past 300 yds, and was in fact less accurate than the 91/30 Sniper rifle from WWII.

I wish you luck in getting the rifles, but don't expect to shoot a perfect possible at Camp Perry with one.

berg
03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I hear this term thrown around wrt AK's and Drag's - there is no such animal!

There are AK's with heavier barrels, AK's with longer barrels, and AK's that have the term "Match" bestowed upon them by a manufacturer or importer, but there's never been an AK that could hold with a NM 1903, Garand or M14.

When the first Dragunov got bagged and tagged, it was sent to FSTC - Foreign Science and Technology Center - for testing. Before live fire testing, the rumor was that the Drag was gtg out to a mile...

After the thing was tested, it was all for nothing. the thing wouldn't hold MOA past 300 yds, and was in fact less accurate than the 91/30 Sniper rifle from WWII.

I wish you luck in getting the rifles, but don't expect to shoot a perfect possible at Camp Perry with one.

Ordinarily I would respond to a post like this by saying that this accuracy testing is very outdated. I would explain that the original testing was not done with quality ammo and that it's the same as if you shot crappy Paki surplus through an M-14 and wondered why you got bad accuracy.

I might also point out that there have been hundreds of SVD owners who have great accuracy with their Chinese and Russian Dragunovs using their own handloads, the S&B match cartridge, the Black Hills match, the Russian 7N1 sniper cartridge now available in the US, and even with Wolf Commercial.

But I won't actually say any of this because it's the attitudes above that keep more people from buying SVD's and driving the prices up even higher. I actually like people thinking they are over-rated crap.

That said, I too am skeptical over the term "match quality" and would like to see what mods might have done to those rifles.

virulosity
03-15-2008, 3:55 PM
I agree it is not a match quality rifle, but with it supported correctly my TIGR will shoot 1" or less groups all day with 7N1. Heck even my PSL shoots below 1.5" with the stuff. Its all about quality ammo, and supporting a rifle that doesn't have a free float barrel correctly.

ucla_jtsuei
03-15-2008, 4:13 PM
Heck even my PSL shoots below 1.5" with the stuff.

I'd just like to second this statement. Mine does just as well with 7n1 sniper ammo.

Max-the-Silent
03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Ordinarily I would respond to a post like this by saying that this accuracy testing is very outdated. I would explain that the original testing was not done with quality ammo and that it's the same as if you shot crappy Paki surplus through an M-14 and wondered why you got bad accuracy.

I might also point out that there have been hundreds of SVD owners who have great accuracy with their Chinese and Russian Dragunovs using their own handloads, the S&B match cartridge, the Black Hills match, the Russian 7N1 sniper cartridge now available in the US, and even with Wolf Commercial.

But I won't actually say any of this because it's the attitudes above that keep more people from buying SVD's and driving the prices up even higher. I actually like people thinking they are over-rated crap.

That said, I too am skeptical over the term "match quality" and would like to see what mods might have done to those rifles.

I did a rifle-to-rifle test between my M21 (amnesty reg'd M14, full NM treatment, issue ART II scope) and a Chinese Drag variant in 7.62 NATO with the issue optics, using the same lot of LC 68 match ammo.

Shooting from prone at 600 yards, the 21 would put 10 rounds consitently into a group under 8", and the best the Drag would group was 14" - I'm not the best rifleman in the world, but in my test, the Drag didn't cut it.

They are nice rifles, they have significant eye appeal and coolness factor, but they aren't "Nationa Match" rifles by any stretch of the imagination.

Please note: in the original FSTC testing, they fired the ammo that had been captured w/ the rifle, as well as different combloc 7.62 x 54R that they had on hand. You are correct that ammo is a significant factor as a system weakness.

virulosity
03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I did a rifle-to-rifle test between my M21 (amnesty reg'd M14, full NM treatment, issue ART II scope) and a Chinese Drag variant in 7.62 NATO with the issue optics, using the same lot of LC 68 match ammo.

Shooting from prone at 600 yards, the 21 would put 10 rounds consitently into a group under 8", and the best the Drag would group was 14" - I'm not the best rifleman in the world, but in my test, the Drag didn't cut it.

They are nice rifles, they have significant eye appeal and coolness factor, but they aren't "Nationa Match" rifles by any stretch of the imagination.

Please note: in the original FSTC testing, they fired the ammo that had been captured w/ the rifle, as well as different combloc 7.62 x 54R that they had on hand. You are correct that ammo is a significant factor as a system weakness.

There is also a big difference in quality between chinese NDM's and russian SVD's.

fishgills
03-21-2008, 1:30 PM
No word from the uncle yet...

I ain't close to giving up. :D

mltrading
03-21-2008, 2:19 PM

+1:D:D

50 Freak
03-21-2008, 2:44 PM
Dude you suck...Does you uncle want a son by the way? I want that unfired WWII Garand.

50 Freak
03-21-2008, 2:47 PM

Really?????Not mine, but nice to look at neverless

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/samlinvepr.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/MarcusF8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/Veprsupermedkinnstdemperogior.jpg

Kick butt rifle ain't it.

berg
07-20-2008, 6:52 PM
No word from the uncle yet...

I ain't close to giving up. :D

Have you gotten it yet?

armandolo
07-21-2008, 9:22 AM
Guys guys, wait a minute. Just removing the thumbhole stock does not make the Dragunov CA legal. Even without the stock, Dragunovs still have a flash suppressor and a removable mag, therefore CA ILLEGAL. One realy needs to fix the magazine if enything.

sb_pete
07-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Guys guys, wait a minute. Just removing the thumbhole stock does not make the Dragunov CA legal. Even without the stock, Dragunovs still have a flash suppressor and a removable mag, therefore CA ILLEGAL. One realy needs to fix the magazine if enything.
Woah there Sparky. It's a muzzle brake, not a flash suppressor. The magazines are all AFAIK 10 rounders.

Dragunovs and their variants are fine in terms of CA legality as long as
(A) they are not listed (and none are AFAIK)
AND
(B) they are either featureless (eg. fill the stock so it is not a pistol grip or thumbhole) or fixed mag.

CWS (http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=617)and others sell them in CA as a matter of fact.

HavaJava
07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a 10 round Russian made, Dragunov magazine?

armandolo
07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm talking about the Russian SVD not the Romainian version. Russian version (the real Dragunov) has a flash supressor, not a muzzle break.

vbosch on gunbroker sells the 10rnd magazines for SVD/tiger. they will not fit the romainian ones. I bought from him before, great guy.

csmintel
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
if you list it on gunbroker you could get close to $25,000 for each original ( Russian/ USSR made) match quality SVD. These are like gold. somethin' to consider.

HavaJava
07-21-2008, 1:25 PM
Armandolo,
Do you have his email address? GB does not list him anywhere.

Thanks.

I'm talking about the Russian SVD not the Romainian version. Russian version (the real Dragunov) has a flash supressor, not a muzzle break.

vbosch on gunbroker sells the 10rnd magazines for SVD/tiger. they will not fit the romainian ones. I bought from him before, great guy.

akjunkie
07-21-2008, 1:33 PM
Chinese and Russian SVDs do come with Flash Hiders.

$25,000 for a NIB Russian????????????????????????????????????????

i doubt it. but definitely under $8000

here's some Info on Range Reports.

http://www.dragunov.net/report_ndm86.html

armandolo
07-21-2008, 2:29 PM
Armandolo,
Do you have his email address? GB does not list him anywhere.

Thanks.

Let me see if I can dig it up. Also try emailing tantal@sbcglobal.net and ask for their current items and prices. I think they had a Russian 10rnd for about $90-$100.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-21-2008, 3:14 PM
show off!