View Full Version : Refinishing and Refurbishing USGI Magazines

03-14-2008, 1:02 PM
Found this on another forum....

If you are thinking about rejuvenating your old mags, DO IT! This is simple, quick, and makes em look like NEW.

First, I ordered two cans of PermaSlik-G dry moly lube to coat the mags with, from www.georgiaprecision.com It is $16 a can, and I was able do all 28 mags of mine and still have some left in the first can. I imagine a can will do 35 mags single coat, and 20-25 mags double coat.

Next, you remove the floorplates. On the 30 round mags, you simply *CAREFULLY* pry the plate from the mag on the "bent" edge of the plate, just enought to clear the keeper lips on the plate:

20 round floorplates are easier, you need a bullet tip to depress the keeper lip:

Then just slide the floorplate away from the mag body.

Next, remove spring and follower:

Then, you are ready to clean. I used warm soapy water in a small tub. I scrubbed the inside out with an old toothbrush, and scrubbed the outside with fine steel wool, to remove any paint, grease, and old loose moly finish. You dont have to get them spanking clean. I spent about 1 minute per mag cleaning. Rinse well. I didn't find that you need to remove the old moly/teflon. Just rub it with steel wool/scotchbrite and some warm soapy water. The PermaSlik-G coats over the old patches of stuck moly and you sure can't tell when it's done.

After cleaning, I wanted to make sure that I had them real dry, so I put them all on a plate, seperated by paper towels, and put in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes. Also, it is COLD in my garage, so I made sure I left them warm from the oven straight to painting them.

Let the painting begin! I took an old broom handle, and wedged it into my workshelves in the garage to fashion an amateur hanging rig. I cut 8" pieces of coat hanger to make the hangers. Spray evenly around entire mag. I let the mags hang for at least 12 hours before I touched them. Then I put them on a paper plate, seperated by paper towels (about 14 mags per plate) and then put that in the oven as above. No marks hardly... just in the overspray.

After I let them hang for 24 hours, I put them back in the oven for 1 hour at 300 degrees, to bake/cure the finish.

The finish comes out very flat, dull grey.

I invested $10 per used mag, plus $2.50 for the new spring and green follower, and about $1 a mag in paint.... and I end up with a brand spanking better-than-new mag for under $14 a mag. Plus it was a lot of fun.

I tried it, worked good have fun guys!!!

03-14-2008, 1:39 PM
Yes this does work well. I saw the post on AR15.COM and decided to do about 30 of mine. I used 2 complete cans. Some of my mags the finish was completely wore off, or after cleaning them it removed most of it. Others were still grey with finish. They do not look the same as original after your done, a little more shiney. I am going to get some of the Brownells Teflon/Moly paint in black and do some other mags next time and see how those turn out. I like the original usgi look, but also like the look of the black mags too.

03-14-2008, 6:18 PM
Please dont do it to the original 20round straight body mags. those are increasingly hard to come by and in a few years will have accumulated real collector value.

03-14-2008, 7:20 PM
How about some pics, please.

Astig Boy
03-14-2008, 7:51 PM

03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
For $1 more I can make Pmags. :D

03-15-2008, 1:31 AM
very true. That is why I rebuild some of mine with Pmags, and soon some more. And some more will get rebuild with black CProducts mags. But I like the original look so like to keep some of them around too.

HUTCH 7.62
03-15-2008, 6:45 AM

03-15-2008, 10:49 AM
The pics on the original post were taken off, sorry. Here is the forum I got it from, it has some good do it your self type stuff,http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite

03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Where are we getting Pmag rebuild kits for $15? I hate the no name mags I stocked up on in '99....

03-15-2008, 10:50 PM
$15.20 from 44mag.com, including breakdown to parts kits.

03-15-2008, 11:26 PM
^ yep. But at the moment they are out of stock on all of them. Been for about 2 weeks.

03-16-2008, 3:39 AM
Dag nabit! I'll keep my eyes open there. :D

Any word on how the Brownell's mags are?

03-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Why bother when CProducts w/magpuls are $10 on 44mag.com?