PDA

View Full Version : Recommend .308 ammo for me to test

gcrtkd
03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey guys--

I have a Remington 700 (.308 cal) that is about to finish its dros period and I have been collecting ammo for the break-in and ammo test... I know that each gun is a little different and I don't know what mine likes to eat yet, so I wanted to get opinions from the forum on what other ammo I should get to test. Most shooting will probably be limited to 200 yards (due to available ranges), but there might be opportunity to get to the 700 yd. distance for courses and such. The list of ammo at the bottom is what I have in-hand right now. I don't have reloading equipment (yet... someday, when I get "permission" from the boss though). I was looking at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browseammo.aspx?c=96&s=919&ipp=48 and they seem to have a pretty good selection of manufacturers, bullet styles and weights, and okay prices. Can anyone help to recommend a reasonable list of ammo that I should test along with what's below?

List of .308 ammo:
-Amer Eagle 150 gr FMJ BT 4 x 20 rds (for break-in)
-Rem Express Core-Lockt 150 gr PSP R308W1 1 x 20 rds
-Rem UMC (Factory Reload) 150 gr MC L308W4 1 x 20 rds
-Black Hills Win Match 175 gr BT-HP 1 x 20 rds
-Winchester Supreme 168 gr HP-BT Match 1 x 20 rds
-Winchester Super X 150 gr Power-Point 1 x 20 rds
-Winchester Super X 180 gr Power-Point 1 x 20 rds

-thanks!
-gcrtkd

Timberwolf
03-14-2008, 10:34 AM
If you're wanting good target ammo the selection is pretty easly, try Fed Gold Medal (both 175 and 168). BHA (both 175 and 168), Rem Match and Win Match, or Hornandy.

Of that it'll probably group best with either FGMM or BHA

wildcard
03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Of that it'll probably group best with either FGMM or BHA

Yup. Don't waste your money on the rest. Save the money to buy more of what works.

And here.. this guy already did the testing for you :)

http://www.snipercentral.com/matchammo.htm

rksimple
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
If long distance (and accuracy) is your goal, don't waste time with anything but match ammo. You'll save yourself some headache. Stick with FGMM or BHA match, even IMI match or HSM match stuff on the cheap.

kilword
03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
fed gold medal or black hills match stuff, id say

rksimple
03-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Forgot to add corbon to that list. They have a loading with the 155 scenar now and I think they still use lapua brass for those.

PistolPete75
03-14-2008, 12:01 PM
or better yet, get a reloading setup and reload.

USN CHIEF
03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Yup. Don't waste your money on the rest. Save the money to buy more of what works.

And here.. this guy already did the testing for you :)

http://www.snipercentral.com/matchammo.htm

Thanks for the link... Very informative and helpfull:)

PistolPete75
03-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the link... Very informative and helpfull:)

i only see one issue with this testing. ever lot of each brand of ammo will differ in the final results to a certain extent.

Prc329
03-14-2008, 12:14 PM
i only see one issue with this testing. ever lot of each brand of ammo will differ in the final results to a certain extent.

But even reloading the same can be said because of different lots of powder/primer/bullets, etc.

BTW when you start shooting her save your brass. The time will come when the $30+ a box for match ammo will start to hurt and a reloading press will look very sexy.

gcrtkd
03-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, I think we can all agree that guns, ammo, and pretty much all firearms-related gear (relading equipment, etc.), is sexy... at least to us.

Thanks, Timberwolf, for the suggestion... I was mainly looking for suggestions like his(?) on the selection of makes and manufacturers. I have a buddy who told me, "Hey, you never know... you might get lucky and find out that your gun likes the cheap stuff." I want to do this right, and smart and I know, just because I pay $30 - $40 for a box of ammo, doesn't mean that it will shoot well out of my gun... Maybe I'll be lucky... maybe I'll have to shell out big bucks for consistancy.

I'll definitely read the snipercentral.com information. Again, though, the results will be gun-specific, so I'm trying to figure out the set of ammo that I should test.

Okay, off to read! Keep those suggestions coming.

-gcrtkd

Suvorov
03-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I've been very happy with Black Hills 168g in my 700PSS with groups consistently running from .5moa to 1moa (I ain't all that good a shot so it could probably do better without a loose nut behind the trigger). I picked 100 rnds up from Midway last year for $18.99 a box but the prices have shot up since then. Just wish I had bought a couple hundred more rounds at that price.

I picked up some of the Winchester Match at the last gun show for $20 a box which was about $6 less than what they wanted for the Federal. I haven't had a chance to shoot that yet as I'm still using up my BH, so I don't know if it was worth saving $6 or not....

I'd only shoot UMC, Federal Eagle, or Winchester white box for a rough scope boresight verification, barrel break in, or practice (although this can be done cheaper with a .22). You just won't be able to reach the full accuracy potential of your rifle without using match grade ammo.

Timberwolf
03-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Let me save you some time - of all the match ammo out there the standard that all set by is Fed Gold Medal - get a couple of boxes of it first, either 168 or 175, and try it. You will probably need to go no farther.

sb_pete
03-14-2008, 12:41 PM
or better yet, get a reloading setup and reload.

A big huge +1 on that. If you're looking to shoot match ammo and have the physical space to do it (if you have a garage or more than one room where you live then you have the space), then start reloading. You will shoot for cheaper and have a better understanding of your rifle and ballistics in general. Not to mention you'll be able to make ammo that shoots better than factory match.

That said, I don't yet reload. I have been saving brass for the day when I do like another poster suggested though and it's probably a good idea for anyone who shoots expensive calibers.

I don't see the need to shoot match ammo every time I pull the trigger though. When you are shooting at paper for groups, yes, but it's still fun to plink around and shooting soda cans with a .308 is a whole lot more satisfying than with rimfire:D. For plinking duty out to 200 or 300 yards on soda cans and such I have found that Hotshot 180gr SP works great for me. Comes from Prvi Partisan factory and can be had for $10-13 a box these days. I have a 1in10" twist though and I think you probably have a 1in12" so your rifle might not like the stuff as much as mine does.
Other good plinking ammo I have heard of people having good experiences with:
Prvi Partisan 145gr FMJ
Austrailian Surplus M80 ball(non-corrosive)

Also you might want to try the Prvi Partisan 168gr match. Never shot it but you can get it for $15/20 plus shipping at Graf. Might be worth it for practice ammo.

hope that helps,
-Pete

Prc329
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I've ran some wolf gold threw my gun and it did fairly well but again if you want a go to load for serious accuracy go with federal gold medal match (FGMM) or the black hills stuff. The HSM ammo on the link is probably closer to match grade reloads you would tailor yourself.

4thSeal
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
If you are limited to 200yrds get some American Ballistics M118LR ... good stuff... Shot over 1k of it good to about 800yds then started stringing vertically on me...

you should be able to do 1-1.5moa at 200yrds with almost any ammo

www.amballistics.com

bought 1k of it for 750$ year ago...

30Cal
03-14-2008, 1:20 PM
Fed GMM is the gold standard. Get at least a box so you have something to compare to.