PDA

View Full Version : muzzleloaders anyone?

ajfern89
03-14-2008, 2:09 AM
i'm getting into muzzleloaders, and i'm pretty much set on the remington genesis (if i decide to get one). just wanted some pointers, ideas, opinions... saboted rounds? lubed conicals? lead balls? i love the old-fashioned-ness of black powder: the loud bang, the big projectile, and the cloud of smoke. i've been shooting for years and i'm looking for something fun.

CSACANNONEER
03-14-2008, 6:38 AM
I've got a lot of charcoal burners but, they are all traditional. If you decide to get a more "old-fashion," as you put it, rifle, I might be able to give you some pointers. BTW, back in '87, I took my first buck, with my first smokepole, up on Cuesta Grade.

Fjold
03-14-2008, 6:53 AM
Round balls take a very slow twist for best accuracy in the 1:66" range. The modern style muzzle loaders are twisted less that 1:20" or so for sabots or long conicals.

I have a left handed TC Renegade .54 that I've taken two elk with when I lived in Idaho.

30Cal
03-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a roundball flintlock (custom). It takes a fair amount of experience to get it to go bang regularly. If you shoot a flint, you pretty much need real, honest to God blackpowder to get good ignition and the stuff isn't easy to come by.

My patches (shooting a patched roundball) typically smoulder, so I'm afraid to fire it most of the year. Your mileage may vary on that point depending on patch thickness, lube, ball size and whatnot.

ajfern89
03-14-2008, 12:29 PM
The Remington Genesis has a 28" barrel with a 1:28 twist

30Cal
03-14-2008, 2:22 PM
The Remington Genesis has a 28" barrel with a 1:28 twist

That's fine. Should be good with conicals/sabots, etc. RB's are the only thing that need a terribly slow twist.

Mac Attack
04-30-2008, 9:49 PM
I have a old Thompson Center Hawken rifle and enjoy shooting it more than anything else. I much prefer tranditional rifles over modern inlines. Who would have thought that spending 5 hours at the range and shooting off less than 50 rounds would be very enjoyable? :)

If any of you local SoCal members want to shoot let me know because my rifle is itching for some trigger time.

CSACANNONEER
04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Round balls take a very slow twist for best accuracy in the 1:66" range. The modern style muzzle loaders are twisted less that 1:20" or so for sabots or long conicals.

I have a left handed TC Renegade .54 that I've taken two elk with when I lived in Idaho.

I've got one too! It was my first frontstuffer and I was able to find an old kit from the late 60's or early 70's with a 1:66 twist! I took my first deer with it while it was still "in the white".

Deadred7o7
04-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a CVA Kodiak .50 its a great gun for around $200.

ar15barrels
04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
:useless:

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/smokepole.jpg

ironcross
04-30-2008, 11:09 PM
They are fun to shoot. My dad has a few rifles and revolvers. I got to say the .50 is fun and can be imitatedimitating to some. Like my best friend and his mothers boyfriend and my dad and I when out shooting. Just plinking some 9mm and .357 Mag. Then my dad was some shooting time and pulls out the .50 Flintlock Rifle. So its my friends moms boyfriends turn and he was scared. Was thinking it was going to knock him on his butt. After all of us telling him to shoot he finally shoots. "Oh it wasnt that bad" LOL

Anyways It was a Traditions Hawken Woodsman Flintlock .50 caliber

http://possibleshop.com/images-rifles/r-2390801.jpg

Stock: Selected Hardwood
Caliber: .50f
Barrel: 28" Blued
Twist Rate: 1:48
Sights: Adj/BB
Length: 45.5"
Weight: 7lb. 11oz

A serious hunting rifle in .50 caliber, with the classic styling and handling of the time-honored Hawken while offering great performance and affordability. Hooked breech for easy barrel removal, click –adjustable rear hunting sight, double set triggers in an oversized glove-fitting trigger guard with finger rest and a solid brass patch box.

Was under $200

gir007
05-01-2008, 12:07 AM
i have a kentucky rifle in .50 and a new army revolver in .44. both i use reg black powder. ide have to say its so much fun but this time of year ect make sure you shoot in desert or anywere without plants.